• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nick Hornby: 31 Songs

Conscious Bob

31 Songs is a collection of essays on pop music using songs as a theme, I found it funny and interesting. Nick is a true music fan that's to say you better watch out if you don't fit the criteria of what a true music fan is, by Nick's definition.

The first warning shot whistled by me on page 45...

I'm not a big Dylan fan. I've got Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited, obviously. And Bringing It All Back Home and Blood On The Tracks. Anyone that likes music owns those four.

I've never owned a Dylan album so that seemed pretty strong, perhaps Nick would offer some conciliatory passage later on then on page 48...

In my book you're either in or you're out, and if you're in then get in properly, and find as big a place in your heart for the stupid stuff-

I was starting to think I wasn't permitted to put this Dylan issue behind me, on page 140 I was left in no doubt...

You're either for music or you're against it and being for it means embracing anyone who's any good.

Come on Mr Hornby, we can let this go can't we? No, if page 148 is anything to go by...

All my life I have relied on others to tip me off, enthusiasts effectively and happily serving as Austenesque matchmakers between eligible wallflower music and those who have the capacity and resources to love it. It's people like these who are the difference between a feeble little CD collection that will fit into some stupid designer tower, and a wall of shelves occupying a disproportionate part of your living room.

I was destroyed, my conception of a music fan was torn to shreds, Nick had scorned my commitment, belittled my music collection and insulted my furniture. Perhaps those that pass Nick's criteria can feel justifiably proud of themselves but I had been subjected to a High Fidelity style beating.

There was one crumb of comfort for me and (I suspect) others who have failed and that's his rather grudging acknowledgement of the influence of downloaded music on the music consuming public, if Nick breaks down your door and demands to see your music collection, tell him it's on your IPod and you've left it at work.

Ok, so we don't invite Mr. Hornby to our next Sock Hop? I guess he's just as entitled to his opinions as anyone, but it's very presumptious to define 'real' music fans so narrowly, based solely on one's personal taste. I only know who Bruce Hornby is because he played on The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken 2 project and I read liner notes for fun. To each their own, said the old lady, as she kissed the cow.

Somehow, Nick Hornby is a name that sticks in my memory to not remember for some reason or other.

Back