• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

no big deal but..............

RobertFKennedy

I had posted a thread about books we were forced to read at school. Someone posted then that there was already a thread about this. When I looked the last post on the older thread was way back in December 2003.

Next time I looked for my thread it had been merged with that old one and my post edited to make it look as if it had been in there all along.

No offence but I dont think that was really necessary. Many of the responses were old and may well have been from people who no longer post here.

Whats wrong with a fresh approach to a topic with the thoughts of those who post here now. I'm not quite as interested in what people who dont post here anymore have to say and people might not want to read through 3 pages of that.

I dont intend to do a search every time I post a thread to see if it's been mentioned before. If it has, so what? surely we arent that hard up for bandwidth?

Like I say no big deal but theres need to be quite so efficient in my humble opinion. :)

I'd guess that your thread was merged because a lot of members here feel differently. I know that the issue was discussed here very recently, but I'm not really sure where. Many forums out there merge threads together. It's a housekeeping issue that keeps things from getting too cluttered. Members who are interested in that topic won't need to wade through the entire thread. They can simply see what the last post is, or view all new posts. As you can see, there are quite a few responses already. People will still respond to your topic.:)

RobertFKennedy said:
I had posted a thread about books we were forced to read at school. Someone posted then that there was already a thread about this. When I looked the last post on the older thread was way back in December 2003.
The last post on the original thread was actually made in April of this year :)

Next time I looked for my thread it had been merged with that old one and my post edited to make it look as if it had been in there all along.
Your post remained untouched - all that happened was that the two threads were merged.

No offence but I dont think that was really necessary. Many of the responses were old and may well have been from people who no longer post here.
As I stated before, the last post was only from a few months ago, thus several of the members are still active.

Whats wrong with a fresh approach to a topic with the thoughts of those who post here now. I'm not quite as interested in what people who dont post here anymore have to say and people might not want to read through 3 pages of that.

I dont intend to do a search every time I post a thread to see if it's been mentioned before. If it has, so what? surely we arent that hard up for bandwidth?
There is nothing wrong with a fresh approach, or not having searched for the topic before if people are not familiar with the search function. However if the topic was posted in fairly recently (and I would class a few months ago as fairly recent, obviously if the last post was a couple of years ago then the thread probably would not have been merged) then there is no reason not to merge threads that contain identical topics.

It is not a question of being hard up for bandwidth. If people are searching for a particular topic it is often easier for them read all the views posted in one thread, as oppose to several smaller threads, with maybe only a few replies in each.

Like I say no big deal but theres need to be quite so efficient in my humble opinion. :)
We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't :)

Thanks Ice. That answers everything. Mistake on my part re. the dates. And it was the topic header which was missing from my post which of course makes sense. I've had a couple of pints. :)

RobertFKennedy said:
Thanks Ice. That answers everything. Mistake on my part re. the dates. And it was the topic header which was missing from my post which of course makes sense. I've had a couple of pints. :)
It's no problem :) When the threads are merged I tend to keep the older title - but it doesn't really matter which one is used.

Back