• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

None in specifice but looking for a book or 2 :)

therealdrag0

I have the propensity to broaden my vocabulary.
I've been memorizing words off of: http://www.virtualsalt.com/vocablst.htm
and in English class(my teacher is dumb) I just sit and analyze all the bold vocab words. And i use Thesaurus/Dictionary.com 24/7
I never watch TV, I am a avid competitive gamer.
I don't read that many books. I both the Enders Game and the Harry Potters series are awesome in my opinion.

So. I am looking for some more books with kinda the same style as those, not to long but with some great vocabulary in them.
Merci Beaucoup,
Au Revoir.
-drag0

Possibilities

Hiya,

When I was in high school I was reading Stephen King's The Stand when I was taking a College Vocab class. That book has great words!

Also, if you appreciate vocab and puns, check out Piers Anthony's Xanth series. The first few books (A Spell for Chameleon, etc.) are great!

therealdrag0 said:
I don't read that many books. I both the Enders Game and the Harry Potters series are awesome in my opinion.

So. I am looking for some more books with kinda the same style as those, not to long but with some great vocabulary in them.

Try Clive Barker's Imajica; it's long, however, but you should get what you want there. Or, for a shorter work, try his The Great and Secret Show or, to go shorter again, Cabal or The Hellbound Heart.

However, I would suggest you find a collection of short fiction, try different authors styles, and find one that you like and who offers you the chance to extend your vocabulary and then read their longer work.

Away from fiction, Umberto Eco's How To Travel With A Salmon and Other Essays is a very easy, light-hearted read and will provide you with many new words.

I enjoy the English found in books of a hundred years ago. The Astronomy books in particular were often quite poetic, such as Curiosities of the Sky by G.P. Serviss (1909) or the extracts from several old Moon books I have posted Here.

Nabokov "Lolita" - great artistic language, rich vocabulary
Ann Rand "Atlas Shrugged" - sofisticated language and philosophy

What would some books be that are kinda like enders game or harry potter that have a protagonist with extrodanary skills/powers?
thanks

Back