• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Norwegian Literature

Kenny Shovel

Zolipara said:
Norway: Knut Hamsun - Hunger
A wonderful and important book, but not perhaps the best place to start with Hamsun. There are certainly one or two short stories in the 'Tales of Love And Loss' collection that prepare you for the intensity of Hunger.

Zolipara said:
Czech: Karel Čapek - War with the newts.
Russia/Ukraine: Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls
Poland: Stanislaw Lem - Solaris
A-F#~king-proved!

Kenny Shovel said:
A wonderful and important book, but not perhaps the best place to start with Hamsun. There are certainly one or two short stories in the 'Tales of Love And Loss' collection that prepare you for the intensity of Hunger.

Perhaps not, but i dont think any of his other books really will prepare you for Hunger. I notice you suggested "The women at the pump". Its good, but in my opinion its just a condenced version of the story/theme in the August triology. He has other books i would recommend before that one. Having read all his books, the ones that really stand out for me is Hunger, Growth of the Soil, Mysteries and Pan.

I'll just add a recommendation for Iceland as well. Try the sagas, in particular i would recommend Egil's (Skallagrimson) Saga if you can find it in english.

Zolipara said:
Perhaps not, but i dont think any of his other books really will prepare you for Hunger.
Well, nothing can totally prepare you for Hunger, it's a breathtaking book. But he did write several short stories which appear to use the same main character or a prototype version; namely 'A Lecture Tour', 'Jon Tro', 'Secret Sorrow' and 'The Call Of Life'. The later peice in particular seems to be an early version of the encounter with the young woman in Hunger.
I read 'Tales of Love & Loss' after reading Hunger but would have prefered to have done so the other way around.
Zolipara said:
I notice you suggested "The women at the pump". Its good, but in my opinion its just a condenced version of the story/theme in the August triology. He has other books i would recommend before that one.
We weren't asked for a recommendation from Hamsun but one from different countries in general; I picked 'Women at the Pump' as a safe, don't scare the horses option. When asked in the past for recommended authors I have indeed picked Hunger as the place to start.
The August Triology, to my knowledge, isn't currently available in English translation. BTW, it's interesting that you suggest that this is an expanded version of 'Women at the pump', as 'Women at the pump' itself seems to have grown from other short stories found in the 'Love and Loss' collection.
Zolipara said:
Having read all his books, the ones that really stand out for me is Hunger, Growth of the Soil, Mysteries and Pan.
Unfortunatly it seems that only a fraction of his work has been translated into English, and as such I've only read six or seven works by him; basically anything I've been able to track down so far.
Should further translations be made available, what would you suggest are the sweetest morsels waiting to be found?

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
We weren't asked for a recommendation from Hamsun but one from different countries in general; I picked 'Women at the Pump' as a safe, don't scare the horses option. When asked in the past for recommended authors I have indeed picked Hunger as the place to start.
I realised that, but i just found it an odd choice when you were supposed to pick just one book from that country. But as you say its safe.

The August Triology, to my knowledge, isn't currently available in English translation. BTW, it's interesting that you suggest that this is an expanded version of 'Women at the pump', as 'Women at the pump' itself seems to have grown from other short stories found in the 'Love and Loss' collection.

Well you can see many of the same themes repeated in many of his works, but i found the similarity between the August-triology and Women at the Pump to be the most striking. You can recognise many of the same characters, but they are often a bit more "over-the-top" in women at the pump.

His main characters also have many of the same characteristics, especially in his earlier works.

Unfortunatly it seems that only a fraction of his work has been translated into English, and as such I've only read six or seven works by him; basically anything I've been able to track down so far.
Should further translations be made available, what would you suggest are the sweetest morsels waiting to be found?
Regards,
K-S

Well i'm not sure what books are translated, but judging from the list at amazon.com most of his best books are already translated. But if i had to choose some i'd say the August-triology(Wayfarer, August, The road leads on) and perhaps the books about Segelfoss town (Children of the age, Segelfoss town).

Pretty much all of his novels are worth reading, but i'm not that fond of his plays. It might be because i dont like reading plays in general, but Hamsun is also quoted saying something like "I dont care about plays, only the money they earn." He didnt particularly like drama as a art form.

If you are interested in the person Hamsun i can also recommend trying to find a series of articles and lectures about writing given just before and after he published Hunger. He is not afraid to speak his mind and gives some pretty heavy criticism towards authors such as Tolstoj and Ibsen. With luck you might even find some of them on the web.

You might also be interested in a fairly recent movie about Hamsun during WWII. The movie Hamsun is based on Thorkild Hansens fairly controversial book "The trial against Hamsun".

Zolipara said:
… i just found it an odd choice when you were supposed to pick just one book from that country. But as you say its safe...
One of the reasons I picked ‘Women at the Pump’ is the best one of all: I like it. I’d agree that it’s not his best work, but, as you pointed out, it’s written with characters that are larger than life; which for me contributed towards an overall feeling of warmth and affection towards people and setting that at times isn’t so obvious in all his work.
Thinking about it again 'Women at the pump' my not be the best suggestion in this particular circumstance, but more from the fact that it's nearly 400 pages long!

Zolipara said:
Well i'm not sure what books are translated, but judging from the list at amazon.com most of his best books are already translated. But if i had to choose some i'd say the August-triology(Wayfarer, August, The road leads on) and perhaps the books about Segelfoss town (Children of the age, Segelfoss town).
Of those I think Wayfarers has been translated, I’ll look out for others.

Zolipara said:
If you are interested in the person Hamsun i can also recommend trying to find a series of articles and lectures about writing given just before and after he published Hunger. He is not afraid to speak his mind and gives some pretty heavy criticism towards authors such as Tolstoj and Ibsen. With luck you might even find some of them on the web.
Interesting, after reading ‘A Lecture Tour’ I wondered if it was based on his own experiences.

Zolipara said:
You might also be interested in a fairly recent movie about Hamsun during WWII. The movie Hamsun is based on Thorkild Hansens fairly controversial book "The trial against Hamsun".
Yes, I’d noticed this film. No subtitled transfer to DVD yet, that I can find. But as it stars Max Von Sydow there is always the chance it might make an appearance as a Criterion Collection DVD.

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
Interesting, after reading ‘A Lecture Tour’ I wondered if it was based on his own experiences.

Yes in the early days before he was really famous he tried to organise some lecture tours without much success, but he published several articles on writing. In 1891 he had got his breakthrough, and finally managed to get a successful lecture tour. He talked about his ideas on writing, and what he thought a writer should concentrate on. According to him they should write about the inner workings of man, their soul. Some people see them as poorly disguised self-promotion, but he had strong ideas about writing. There is not many that could get away with criticising Ibsen at a time when he was practically worshipped in Norway. The lectures were published in book-form after his death under the name "On tour : Lectures about literature."

Sorry for Hijacking your thread btw Abcedarian. :)

Zolipara said:
... He talked about his ideas on writing, and what he thought a writer should concentrate on. According to him they should write about the inner workings of man, their soul...
Which you can see in his work. Hunger is certainly held up as an early example of 'the modern novel' and is on my list of books that everyone should have read.

Zolipara said:
...There is not many that could get away with criticising Ibsen at a time when he was practically worshipped in Norway...
I got sidetracked after the first act of 'A Doll's House' recently, I must find time over Christmas to read it properly. Are you Norwegian btw the way? Or at least well-versed enough in Norwegian lit to make a few recommendations beyond Ibsen and Hamsun?

Zolipara said:
Sorry for Hijacking your thread btw Abcedarian. :)
Perhaps a kindly passing mod could seperate out posts 18, 20, 22, 29, 30, 31 (and this one) into a Knut Hamsun Thread in the Authors Forum? Thanks.

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
Which you can see in his work. Hunger is certainly held up as an early example of 'the modern novel' and is on my list of books that everyone should have read.

I agree.

I got sidetracked after the first act of 'A Doll's House' recently, I must find time over Christmas to read it properly. Are you Norwegian btw the way? Or at least well-versed enough in Norwegian lit to make a few recommendations beyond Ibsen and Hamsun?

Yes i'm Norwegian. Sure i can recommend lots of good books, but when i try to find them in amazon it seems few of them are translated.

When looking at norwegian literary history you cant get past"The four greats", Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, Jonas Lie, Henrik Ibsen and Alexander Kielland. Four very influential writers in their time. But in my opinion Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson and Jonas Lie feels very dated when reading them today. Alexander Kielland is less known outside the borders of Norway, but i like him and can recommend Skipper Worse or Poison if you can find them in english.

I can also recommendAksel Sandemose, especially "A fugitive crosses his tracks". Sigurd Hoel is another good writer from the same period, but it looks like very few of his books are available in English. His most famous book is called "Sinners in summertime" but i feel it has more to do with the time it was released and not the books itself. I prefer "fourteen days before the frostnights", but i dont think its translated.

Agnar Mykle has a couple of good books, in particular Lasso around the Moon.

Jens Bjørneboe is another interesting author, though his early socially critical novels are of limited interest these days, especially if you dont live in norway. I can recommend the triology "The history of Bestiality" (Moment of freedom, Powderhouse, The silence) and "The sharks".

I dont read that much contemporary Norwegian literature but Erlend Loe is a interesting author, if you like his peculiar writing style. Try Naive. Super .

Zolipara said:
Yes i'm Norwegian. Sure i can recommend lots of good books, but when i try to find them in amazon it seems few of them are translated.

When looking at norwegian literary history you cant get past"The four greats", Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, Jonas Lie, Henrik Ibsen and Alexander Kielland. Four very influential writers in their time. But in my opinion Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson and Jonas Lie feels very dated when reading them today. Alexander Kielland is less known outside the borders of Norway, but i like him and can recommend Skipper Worse or Poison if you can find them in english.

I can also recommendAksel Sandemose, especially "A fugitive crosses his tracks". Sigurd Hoel is another good writer from the same period, but it looks like very few of his books are available in English. His most famous book is called "Sinners in summertime" but i feel it has more to do with the time it was released and not the books itself. I prefer "fourteen days before the frostnights", but i dont think its translated.

Agnar Mykle has a couple of good books, in particular Lasso around the Moon.

Jens Bjørneboe is another interesting author, though his early socially critical novels are of limited interest these days, especially if you dont live in norway. I can recommend the triology "The history of Bestiality" (Moment of freedom, Powderhouse, The silence) and "The sharks".

I dont read that much contemporary Norwegian literature but Erlend Loe is a interesting author, if you like his peculiar writing style. Try Naive. Super .
Thanks, I shall start with Ibsen and work from there. I'm sure if I use your recommendations along with the interweb and a couple of the Amazon Norwedian must-read lists I can find my way around.

I've been looking for another countries literature to wander around for a while. As Russian, Czech and Japanesse literary cannons aren't hitting my wallet nearly enough.

Regards,

K-S

abecedarian said:
Here are a few suggestions from from the folks at bookcrossing:

Some Norwegians
Lars Saabye Christensen- Received wild acclaims for The Half Brother. I've read some of his others, and was quite impressed, haven't gotten round to this one yet, though.
For short stories, try Kjell Askildsen- A Sudden Liberating Thought, this I have read, and it's quite brilliant.
One of my favourite authors writes mainly crime fiction, but it's "good literature" too, even if it involves private investigators and death- Gunnar Staalesen: The Writing on the Wall is available in English.
Jostein Gaarder- Sophie's World, The Solitaire Mystery, The Ringmaster's Daughter, The Christmas Mystery.

Be aware that I just cut and pasted into the word document, not bothering with editing..so if it says " l loved this.." that was somebody else's opinion, not mine ;0)

Just correcting the links, which weren't working for me, and seperating out the Norwegian books before getting the mods to create a new "Norwegian Lit" thread...

Kenny Shovel said:
I got sidetracked after the first act of 'A Doll's House' recently, I must find time over Christmas to read it properly.
Well, I found time to read the play over the holidays and was rather disapointed. Not with Ibsen but with a rather out-of-date translation. Does anyone Norwegian, or not, know of a good translation of this work? The version I read was an anonymous one used by Dover Thrift and I'm afraid I found it as dry as old bones.

Recs for a better translation, anyone?

K-S

Edit: ps - thanks for the link Minniemal

Kenny Shovel said:
Well, I found time to read the play over the holidays and was rather disapointed. Not with Ibsen but with a rather out-of-date translation. Does anyone Norwegian, or not, know of a good translation of this work? The version I read was an anonymous one used by Dover Thrift and I'm afraid I found it as dry as old bones.

Recs for a better translation, anyone?

K-S

Edit: ps - thanks for the link Minniemal

Check out http://www.ibsen.net/?id=83 English!

Translations of A Dollhouse online (links found on the www.ibsen.net );
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2542 Project Gutenberg
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/6/322/frameset.html Bibliomania
Haven't read any of the though.....

I'd like to add Erik Fosnes Hansen's "Tales Of Protection", which is one of the best books I've ever read, I think. Truly marvellous storytelling with interweaving short stories. He's hinted that there's a part 2 in the making, but it's been years and nothing on the horizon AFAIK... but the first part stands up magnificently.

Kenny's your man here, abecedarian, but my limited knowledge suggests that Growth of the Soil is the novel which led to Hamsun's winning the Nobel Prize for Literature. Odd then that it's not more well known, while Hunger remains his only novel published by a mainstream press in the UK. Actually I saw Growth of the Soil in Waterstone's today, when I was looking at Dreamers (see Kenny's review of that, which may make mention of Growth of the Soil, now I think of it...).

abecedarian said:
Last night I started reading Cry, the Beloved Country
Man, I love that book. We covered it in English Lit when I was at school and it remains the only novel I've ever read more than twice. (three times before you ask)

abecedarian said:
and as I was reading the introduction, I came across mention of a Knut Hamsun novel called Growth of the Soil.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421925230/qid=1147875321/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-6137576-4638424?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I wondered if any of you were familiar with it.

I've got it marked down as my next Hamsun book to read. As Shade said it's the one that got him the Nobel Prize and it does seem to be appearing in a number of high street bookstores in Britain at the moment; Souvenir Press must be doing a good job of marketing Hamsun.
For details on the book itself I think that Zolipara is actually the man…

abecedarian said:
According to this introduction, Alan Paton made a side trip to Norway, via England, after reading this novel by Hamsun.
Now that is interesting, I’ll have to do some googling into that. Btw, Hamsun wouldn’t have totally approved of what Paton did as he absolutely hated the English!

K-S

Back