• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nostalgia!

Halo

OK, I'm feeling a bit guilty about hijacking poor Marie's bookmark thread with fond memories of the lemonade man delivering soft drinks to my door, so I thought I'd start my own nostalgia topic! What do you miss from ye olden days?

I'd vote for:

Pacers mint chews! From the 1970s, they were like a mint Opal Fruit (sorry, Starburst :rolleyes: ) with stripes of blue or green. One colour was spearmint, the other peppermint.

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum! OK, the keyboard was crap, but there were some excellent games!

C'mon, your turn now - be as serious or as trivial as you want! :)

Oh I remember these sweets, pacers mint chew, I love those sweets. Also there were some chewing gum with comic when you open the wrapping paper.
Remember a model of ET with it finger went flash! LOL

My first computer, a Commodore 64. That was its RAM, in kilobytes.

I just heard an ice cream truck outside, so can't list that since they're still around. Tho we had sno-cone trucks, mostly.

Actually, most of the things from my childhood are back now (Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, My Little Pony, etc.) I assume this is because people my age have kids now and want to buy them the same crap.

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum!
Well I had an amstrad cpc myself (still have it somewhere with a load of games though I've taken to using an emulator on the PC recently so I don't need to wait 5 mins for a game to load from a tape)

What about those old tape with books we used to have?

I also remember those 'read it yourself' books fondly

Also loved those sliding puzzles- I really good with those after a bit of practice. As for the Rubix cubes... well I got good at taking them to bits and putting them back together ;)

I'm an 80s child (despite being a day younger than Martin) and we can't have a nostalgia thread without discussing cartoons and TV shows can we?

Rainbow
Puddle Lane (loved this as a child)
Defenders of the Earth
Sesame Street
Fraggle Rock
Danger Mouse (but on a recent rewatch- this was SO annyoying with its pedantic nature)- didn't realise it was voiced by Del boy though
Masters of the Universe (though on a recent rewatch I was dissapointed)
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (okay these were more my younger brothers' but still fun)
Bravestarr
Button Moon
The Moomins
80 days around the world
Superted
Bananaman
Family Ness
Dogtanian and the three muskahounds
Ulysess 31 (my 1st exposure to anime though I didn't know it at the time- found the scripts online sometime ago and went on a nostalgia trip - they still hold up today http://www.oceanstar.demon.co.uk/episode_list.html)
Dungeons and Dragons

There's probably a load I've missed, but I'd be here for ages if I persisted

As for non-cartoony stuff, who can forget the A-team, Knight Rider and the Karate Kid? (I don't know any children of the early 80s era who don't know what I'm reffering to when I say 'wax on wax off' in casual conversation)

Originally posted by fluffy bunny
'wax on wax off'

Reminds me of the child who examined a finger that had recently been poked in its ear, and said, "Look! An ear wak!"

*Johnson's Cotton Buds - for those stubborn ear waks.* :)

Third Man Girl

Originally posted by third man girl
*Johnson's Cotton Buds - for those stubborn ear waks.* :)

LOL - ok you win. Did you know you can still get those?

To make sure I don't ruin anyone's childhood :
It was explained to me last yr that they're not that good. The best analogy is think- ramrod, cannon.

AHHHHHHHHH the good 'ol days :)

My first computer was a ZX spectrum! Playing Knightlore, way of the exploding fist, dizzy, monty mole, maniac miner, jet set willy, luna jetman and those text adventures where you wanted to smash your spectrum because you had already tried 15 verbs and still could not pick up that damn object!!!!

Days in the arcade when you could put in 20p and get a game :)
Playing Shinobi, streetfighter, op wolf, strider and and so on :)

Yes! The cartoons! Dangermous was my fave!

People with terrible haircuts! ( mullet )

Zoids ( a toy you could make wind up dinosaur thingys )

Chopper bikes! ( recently re-made )

Space hoppers ( fun fun fun )

Video nasty ( when movies were good! lol )

Star dust ( sweets that pop and fizz in the mouth )

That little tank thing you could program that I don't remember the name of it. What's it could dammit?? :) I used to put my pet hamster in the back of it and send it off on rides lol

Ah, that will do lol

By the sun, moon, and stars
SillyWabbit

Actually...

Since we are on the topic of nostalgia. Ever wonder what happened to the A-team, bananarama and the rainbow cast??? What ever happened to all those people we remember...

Wonder no more! The Bubble Burst :)

Great site!!!!

Regards
SillyWabbit

I grew up in the 60's and one of my most pleasant memories involved going to the drive-in movies. We kids would have to get our pajamas on first (complete with footies of course) then Mom would pop a paper grocery sack full of popcorn.I still remember the butter & salt stains seeping through the bag. Then we'd grab our pillows & blankets and pile in to the back of our Rambler station wagon.
Once there, we children couldn't wait to join the other kids at the playground in front of the screen. After a half hour or so of the swings. slide & merry-go-round it would start to get dark and we'd find our way back to the cozy spot in back of the station wagon.
The one movie that really sticks out in my mind is The Boston Strangler. My siblings and I would peak over the top of the seat and when an intense part would come on (for us any way) we would duck down under our blankets and poke & giggle at each other.
Most of the time I fell asleep before the movie was over and the next thing I knew it was morning and I had somehow made it back to my bed. But there were those choice instances when I can remember being carried by my father back in to the house, arms and legs dangling about and feeling more groggy than awake. That one feeling of security, with myself wrapped around my father and being in his strong but comforting arms is one I hope to never forget.
Fast forward to today and my folks are still with us but my mom had a stroke last year and my dad has had a half dozen surgeries for cancer over the last few years and must have kidney dialysis 3 times a week. Sometimes it's hard to remember them the way they were but whenever I get a whiff of popcorn they appear to me as strong as ever.

Bill

My favorite childhood things -

Penny Sweets at the local shop
He-man
Transformers
Playing 'It', Forty-Forty & other such games
Gameboy vs Gamegear
Long summers
Free time to grow and enjoy yourself

I had a Commodore 64 too, but i had a Vic-20 as well, which was its predecessor (in fact i still have both of them!!)

Phil :)

Back