• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Novels with a medical setting

Celeste

which are set in hospitals, with doctors, patients, nurses and surgeons. I'm just reading "Coma" by Robert Cook and I'm having fun with its settings (perhaps i'm a would be doctor :D ).

Have you some books to suggest me? It can be a medical thriller, a sci-fi or romantic novel, or whatever comes to your mind.

Thanks, Celeste.

Celeste said:
which are set in hospitals, with doctors, patients, nurses and surgeons. I'm just reading "Coma" by Robert Cook and I'm having fun with its settings (perhaps i'm a would be doctor :D ).

Have you some books to suggest me? It can be a medical thriller, a sci-fi or romantic novel, or whatever comes to your mind.

Thanks, Celeste.

Are you looking for only novels? How about short stories?

Celeste said:
all sort of good things are well accepted :)

Well, I loved Frank Huyler's The Blood of Strangers. This is a collection of very well written short stories, along the same lines as Carver in style.

thank you, i've just had a quick look on amazon and it seems rather interesting, now i'll check if it's already come out in italy.. there is!! :)
Thank you very much, i'm looking forward to see it :)

Tess Gerritsen writes pretty popular medical thrillers. I read Body Double which was less medical and more thriller but the main character is a pathologist I believe so I think in other books the setting is more hospital based.

CattiGuen said:
Ebola by William T. Close.

I read it in 10th grade, gave me the heebie-jeebies.:eek:

I read it at that age too and remembered liking it. In fact, I thought it was so much better than Hot Zone (our required reading that summer). It was the perfect time to read a book like that as there was a HUGE ebola outbreak that year.

I love to suggest Bringing Out the Dead to people. It's not about a hospital, but rather medicine's "red headed step-child", pre-hospital care. I've suggested it to a couple people here, and gotten great feedback from them.

definately Tess Gerritsen, I just finished Harvest and it was a thoroughly entertaining read, (although NONE of her books so far have disappointed).

Also, try My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, it's a medical drama without the murder/thriller side of things.

Tess Gerritsen is pretty much good author in that field..

I've been told that Robin Cook and Michael Palmer have wrote good medical thrilles. I've not read any of their books though

xBasx said:
Tess Gerritsen is pretty much good author in that field..

I've been told that Robin Cook and Michael Palmer have wrote good medical thrilles. I've not read any of their books though

I've also heard great things about Michael (or his brother, Daniel) Palmer's medical thrillers.

Back