• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Novels with goodness

woutwolf

These last years I have had much difficulty finding novels I like. This is why I subscribed to this forum. Maybe some experienced readers can help me if I try to explain what I am looking for.
I am looking for novels that have a morality in them, written by people who are religious or maybe I should say spiritual; authors with a sense for God. However, I do not want books that are preaching, rigid, or superfluous. The author does not even have to believe in God. I would like to read novels that are written from the heart, at least in part.
An example of such a book would be 'The grapes of wrath'. I do not know if John Steinbeck was religious; maybe he wasn't. But his novels are examples of what I call 'religious novels'. They have goodness in them.
Maybe that is what I am looking for, books with goodness in them.
I very much liked William Saroyan. The human comedy, Tracy's Tiger.
Also 'Crime and punishment' by Dostoyevsky.
The author may even be an outright Christian, as long as he or she is intelligent, can write well and has a heart.
Another book I liked was 'A painted house' by John Grisham. But listen: this book is very different from his other novels. It is not a typical John Grisham novel.
Further, I like to read novels about childhood. I liked David Copperfield by Dickens and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
I liked the Bjorndal saga by Trygve Gulbranssen. And The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. I am romantic too and like an agrarian setting, with farms and fields and childhood and trees and living water. The novel 'How green was my valley' seemed my kind of book but started to disappoint when a very judging spirit entered the story. But I like books with homesickness towards childhood.
I do not like books that are too intellectual or philosophical. They may be highly intelligent, but the forehead should remain serene; not wrinkled; they should be easy to read. Or maybe I do not want intelligence but wisdom.
I also liked 'The catcher in the rye'.
Hope this is sufficient to explain what I mean. I am not English but Dutch and reading English is easier for me than expressing myself in this language.
Thank you for your help!!

Interesting request.

I am sure someone here can offer you a few suggestions.

And welcome to BAR.

woutwolf,

Perhaps you might enjoy Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.

Some people who are averse to religion can't stand it and call it a religious book. Others who are more comfortable with moral themes -- like it sounds you are -- have found it to be an enjoyable and thoughtful work. I found it to be a very moving story.

Also, in case you can find a copy, The Green Pastures by Mark Connelly is a charming and insightful short novel which was originally a stage play.

woutwolf,
While I thought further about your question, some other titles have come to mind.

Malevil by Robert Merle is a very readable post-apocalyptic novel with characters having generous hearts.

Vera by Stacey Shiff is the biography of the wife of a famous novelist (Vladimir Nabokov). Theirs was a lifelong love story and marriage and her devotion to him was admirable.

Perhaps Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronté would also be of interest. It seems to be an all-time favorite, mentioned by almost anyone who has read it on these book forums.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom is a slender book on several counts -- see the BOTM discussion here -- but it is enjoyable and speaks to the better side of human nature.

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks likewise reveals the better side of a loving relationship.

Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger also comes to mind, especially since you have read Catcher in the Rye.

A Widow for One Year by John Irving, perhaps, for its underlying morality and eventual reconciliation. (No further hints re its remarkable story :) )

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, perhaps, for a novel about a remarkable and upbeat woman.

The list has grown longer the more I have thought about it, and seems to be weighted to toward love and women. But they are what make the world go 'round, after all, so maybe not so bad.

PS Maybe you have your finger on a new thread here for discussion of "good" books, as opposed to the much more numerous plot lines having to do with strife, conflict, war, sin and evil.

Have fun exploring! :flowers:
Peder

You may be interested in novel's by an author named Jan Karon. She has a series of books that take place in a town called Mitford. The main character is the town preacher, Father Tim, and a number of the other inhabitants of Mitford who get themselves into scrapes. Yes, some religious concepts are addressed but it's mostly about character, honor and friendship.

Very cozy, heartwarming stories and never a wrinkled forehead to worry about. =o)

At Home In Mitford is the first one to read.

Thanks!

Thank you Peder, again, and mmyap! I have printed a list with all these titles and will just try them one by one. It is great how this forum works. I only had to ask. Now, thanks to your replies, I will probably have a good summertime with several of these novels!

Hello and welcome woutwolf - also thanks Peder and mmyap - I too have made a list of your suggestions and am going to see if I can get them from the library, the ones I haven't already read. Always looking for different authors especially ones with an upbeat flavour. I can search the library catalogue from home and the books get reserved for me which is sometimes simpler than searching through the stacks. Thanks again and happy summer reading to you all.

These last years I have had much difficulty finding novels I like. This is why I subscribed to this forum. Maybe some experienced readers can help me if I try to explain what I am looking for.
I am looking for novels that have a morality in them, written by people who are religious or maybe I should say spiritual; authors with a sense for God. However, I do not want books that are preaching, rigid, or superfluous. The author does not even have to believe in God. I would like to read novels that are written from the heart, at least in part.
An example of such a book would be 'The grapes of wrath'. I do not know if John Steinbeck was religious; maybe he wasn't. But his novels are examples of what I call 'religious novels'. They have goodness in them.
Maybe that is what I am looking for, books with goodness in them.
I very much liked William Saroyan. The human comedy, Tracy's Tiger.
Also 'Crime and punishment' by Dostoyevsky.
The author may even be an outright Christian, as long as he or she is intelligent, can write well and has a heart.
Another book I liked was 'A painted house' by John Grisham. But listen: this book is very different from his other novels. It is not a typical John Grisham novel.
Further, I like to read novels about childhood. I liked David Copperfield by Dickens and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
I liked the Bjorndal saga by Trygve Gulbranssen. And The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. I am romantic too and like an agrarian setting, with farms and fields and childhood and trees and living water. The novel 'How green was my valley' seemed my kind of book but started to disappoint when a very judging spirit entered the story. But I like books with homesickness towards childhood.
I do not like books that are too intellectual or philosophical. They may be highly intelligent, but the forehead should remain serene; not wrinkled; they should be easy to read. Or maybe I do not want intelligence but wisdom.
I also liked 'The catcher in the rye'.
Hope this is sufficient to explain what I mean. I am not English but Dutch and reading English is easier for me than expressing myself in this language.
Thank you for your help!!

Hi there, I just read a great new fiction book on Amazon called Sons in the Clouds (an ebook) - the author is Randy Mitchell. It's inspirational fiction and the author does talk about God in the book but it's more spiritual as opposed to 'religious'. It really has a positive, uplifting message. I'm not a big fan of religious-based 'preachy' messages in books, but he isn't in-your-face. He puts a modern twist to inspirational fiction. If you like U.S. military or aviation history, you might enjoy it. He reminds me of Nicholas Sparks and I really liked the book. His main characters also remind me of Maverick and Goose from Top Gun and reads almost like a screenplay - amazing action and vivid imagery and detail. It's a great summer read and not too expensive either. Hope that helps!

Back