• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

November 2008: Harriet Beecher Stowe: Uncle Tom's Cabin

I'm about half done with the book, I think. It's just such a depressing thing to read at times. I will finish it though. I am bound and determined to finish it! ;)

Agreed. I've been making annotations in the margins alongside the passages that I really like.

Me too,Monday I will be ready to start discussing it.It is depressing,but it was reality.When I saw about 600 pages I wasn't sure if I would get through it in a month,lol.I find it an easy read,not like last months.

I have been looking forward to this month's discussion because I think it'll be easier to read more often when I have the free time knowing that others are doing so as well and so I'll have folks to share thoughts with regarding the novel. ;)

I have been looking forward to this month's discussion because I think it'll be easier to read more often when I have the free time knowing that others are doing so as well and so I'll have folks to share thoughts with regarding the novel. ;)

If it wasn't picked for BOM,I don't think it would have been the next one from my TBR list to be picked,I agree,it's good when others are reading it too.:)

I had to read and review a book called His Promised Land for a class and it detailed the true account of Eliza's flight that Stowe included in her novel. That was one of the novel's passages that really stood out to me. The desperation of a mother that she would risk death from the frozen waters rather than be separated from her son.

I was observing a history lesson at an alternative school not too long ago when one of the students made the comment that slavery only existed on the grand Southern plantations. The teacher didn't correct this misconception, but I really wanted to.

"So you're the little lady who started this Great War." - Abraham Lincoln to Stowe.

It's easy to see why this book stirred many in the North to the abolitionist camp. Stowe does a great job at tugging at the heartstrings of the reader. That being said, I did enjoy the book.

I had to read and review a book called His Promised Land for a class and it detailed the true account of Eliza's flight that Stowe included in her novel. That was one of the novel's passages that really stood out to me. The desperation of a mother that she would risk death from the frozen waters rather than be separated from her son.I was observing a history lesson at an alternative school not too long ago when one of the students made the comment that slavery only existed on the grand Southern plantations. The teacher didn't correct this misconception, but I really wanted to.

She does a great job giving the reader an understanding of the bond between mother and child.

"After the birth of Harry,however, she had gradually become tranquillized and settled; and every bleeding tie and throbbing nerve,once more entwined with that little life,seemed to become sound and healthful...."

This story reminds me of a book report I did in 6th grade about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad.

I was sacrificing sleep last night to read further along in the book. I have a feeling this is going to happen every night. ;) Although I know the book will have a sad ending... :sad:

What a great, but trying book. I was wondering if anyone saw any parallels between the conditions Stowe was talking about and today. Obviously we don't have slavery anymore in America, but it's safe to say that there are situations that arise equal amounts of turmoil. What does everyone think?

What a great, but trying book. I was wondering if anyone saw any parallels between the conditions Stowe was talking about and today. Obviously we don't have slavery anymore in America, but it's safe to say that there are situations that arise equal amounts of turmoil. What does everyone think?

When talking about the beliefs of the slave trader, Stowe suggested that some of her readers might, under the right circumstances, develop similar beliefs. I think this is where a parallel might be found.

Have you gotten to her discussion of the classes?

Certainly parallels to modern America can be made, despite abolition, and even the election of a black president. People still discriminate. You can see it every day. People make judgements based on class, race, religion, and sexual orientation all the time. It's important that people keep reading books like this, so that they can see that discrimination still exists, and that yes, it's as ridiculous as slavery.

That's not just the US. I've never found a country void of discrimination, and many are just as bad if not worse. The worse I've ever witnessed was Hong Kong, with Singapore in a close second. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any in Australia.

Back