• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Novice Reader Seeks Advice

Halcyon

Greetings,

As 2004 raps up I’ve decided to make reading a much more important part of my life in 2005. I must confess, as a young college graduate, my exposure to literary work is extremely limited. I’m becoming increasingly aware of the value associated with critical reading skills and enlightenment of subject matter. I’ve made a goal to read 100 books in 2005, and I’m here to ask for some advice.

Before coming to this website, I bought and read “The well-educated mind” by Susan W. Bauer. I loved it, but it stresses a list a classical masterpieces in chronological order. Frankly, I’m not a good enough reader for these books, so I’ve decided to fulfill her list in 2006.

The possibilities of book lists for 2005 are endless, and I want to know what some experienced readers would suggest I do. I’ve had 3 main ideas:

General Categories

In this I would pick so many books by genre. For example, 20 history type books, 30 fiction books ect.​

Author

I was thinking it might be fun to read all the books of several authors​

One book at a time

I strive to have a plan, or I fear I might not succeed in my 100 book year. But maybe any plan is doomed to failure, should I just take it one book at a time?​

What do you, the experienced reader, think? Also, I would love some books that you consider fun and easy to read in whatever category above.

Thank you,
Stephen

Hello Stephen, and welcome. 100 books in a year is quite a few. Just take them one at a time. Your plan does make some sense, though. Vary the genres widely, read things you like as well as some you aren't sure about. Mix it up. I've found that too many of one kind of books leads to a bit of burnout. You could even throw one of the classics on your 2006 list in now and again. Just read and keep reading. You'll get there.

Also, don't be afraid to follow your nose, so to speak. If you happen to read a book by a particular author, or dealing with a particular subject, or whatever, that appeals to you, by all means follow that inclination. If you mean to incorporate the habit of reading into your life, then it really doesn't matter what you read, as long as you always have something going.
However, I do think that trying to follow some arbitrary plan probably won't be very effective. That is to say, you would do much better, in my opinion, to learn to enjoy reading, first, then try to work your way through some canon of literature.
I can't remember a time when I didn't have books around, and didn't spend time reading but, having to slog my way through Jane Eyre, for instance, in high school nearly took care of that.

Yeah, I echo Funes comment. You should read because you enjoy not because it will make you a better person. I don't think you will get though 10 books let alone 100 if you are reading "just because" Reading should be enjoyable! My advice to you is that if you like the sound of a book, that you would enjoy it, then read it. :)

Back