• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Obtunded

laboi_22

Wow I've been busy. Anyway I have been writing a little. This new project titled Obtunded has been fun. I welcome any and all input and please be honest. What better way to draft characters from my expierence as a nurse. My main character will become obtunded during an accident and his story is told in first person present. During his experience in the ICU he'll meet some interesting characters. It's supposed to be erotic, ironic, and comedic. Thanks for reading.

OBTUNDED

PREFACE

Dumb founded, I find myself, Jason Barnes, future family practitioner, drunk on life, high on lust, and intoxicated by the heavy sent of sexy masculinity that exudes from the nameless man that now sits beside me. Just he and I alone in a two door run down pick up. My first night out in New Orleans seems promising.

Not sure if needing to vomit or shout, we drive along, bouncing down some old poorly lit street, lost beyond the point of ever returning to the safety of civilized life. I’ll admit not a typical situation for a self-proclaimed conservative fag like myself to be. Perhaps, tonight, my current state of euphoria is a result of the little white pill I licked from the tongue of my incredibly sexy beau. But then who needs an explanation when in a situation such as this?

“Hey baby put your hand on my dick.”

With a spinning head, blurry vision, and the steel agitator turning inside my washing machine of stomach, I grab his package.

“There you go baby. Feel it up.”

For just a moment, I’m intimidated by the size of his cock. Not caring much, I continue stroking.

With one hand on the wheel, he leans closer and wraps his hairy muscular arms around my neck, pulling me closer. With the opposite hand, he lets the wheel loose. In just enough time, of handless driving, he adjusts the volume on the radio and grabs hold of the wheel again just before we almost crash into the ditch. Normally I would’ve yelled at this guy for his irresponsible driving. Instead, tonight, I couldn’t stop laughing.

He pulls me even closer so that I could feel the delicate skin of his plump lips brushing against my peach fuzz covered ears. Still laughing without control, he starts repeating the words of the song currently playing in a deep very masculine voice. The voice I remembered trying to use when talking on the phone to girls in high school—pulling the sexiness from the bottom of my diaphragm in attempt to hide the feminine undertones.

“When I look into your eyes I get the overwhelming sensation of you rubbing my thighs. Kissing your lips and licking your neck absorbing your succulent smell into my nostrils. I’ll never forget that smell; a smell like no other. If I could, I’d eat you. Stroking my tongue deeply inside your private surprises…”

As he continues to follow the words of the song, with surprising accuracy despite his obvious inebriation, I notice my dick beginning to rise. Not being completely sure of what was spinning—my head or the car—my dick went limp again. He let go of the wheel again. Moving away from the headlock that he had me in, I noticed his eyes were closed. In response to his actions, I did the same allowing the dizziness to spin me into oblivion. This could only be a hallucination, I though, or possibly a dream.

CHAPTER 1

Club Obtunded is New Orleans’ premier hotspot. Not only does it live up to its title, but surpasses it. All the hottest guys could be found there, on any given night, issuing all the hottest drugs, all the hottest looks, ensuring a night of flying high and hot sensual uninhibited one-night-stand fucking.

So I’ve heard. Having suffered through four years of grueling premed education and MCAT preparations, I’ve been know to be out of the whole social loop. For a bookish nerdy type like me, fitting in at Obtunded isn’t exactly a possibility, besides I’ve had better things to do with my time lately.

Since making the move from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, I’ve done nothing but submit applications to medical schools—with crossed fingers and days of unbearable waits—hardly having time to experience New Orleans’ nightlife. However, tonight my friends insist on dragging me, whether kicking or screaming, to Obtunded’s annual white party to celebrate my acceptance at Tulane University’s Medical School.

Finally, I’m in New Orleans, far enough from my parents, and the final move before my dream career begins. I should point out as well, that while applying for medical schools, I’ve also managed to land my first job: an orderly in the emergency room at Charity. With all my exhilarating patterns of achievement aside, tonight I’ll focus on only one thing: revelry at Club Obtunded.

To help ease some of my nervous frustration, I’ve been trying all day to unpack. Three months in my new studio apartment, overlooking the fabulous Quarters, and I still haven’t finished the unpacking process. Sure, I’ve managed to get out the necessities, but nothing more. I agree, while not the most captivating past time activity, time seems to past a little quicker while working. Besides, I still have a half hour before Travis arrives.

Travis has been my best friend since the first day at LSU in Baton Rouge. He had already been there for one semester before I arrived. He’s responsible for introducing me to our current circle of friends. We decided, that together, once we completed our degrees at LSU, we would move to New Orleans—he to work as nurse—me to attend medical school.

“Oh Shit.” Pardon my frequent solitary outbursts, however inane they may seem they are unavoidable. After three months, you’d think I’d be used to the intercom system in this building, but the buzzer gets me every time. That could only be Travis. Because of an unusual childhood fear of touching metal objects, and receiving static shocks, I now use a wooden stick to depress the intercom button.

“Travis?”

“Oh honey, what do I have to do to get a key to your building? This humidity is ruining my good hair day.”

“Come on up Travis.”

Before I go on, let me just explain a couple of things about Travis. First, he lives in a perpetual world of dreams: he thinks he’s Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. You’ll understand what I mean when you meet him. Second, he cares more about his social presence than anything else; even me.

“Well future doctor Jason Barnes, I must admit, you look absolutely stunning this evening.” I have to admit, if to anyone but I, Travis is quiet the adorable character. Leaning against the doorframe with his hand on his chest, he means every word of his idiocy.

“Why thank you darling. Forgive me but I wasn’t aware that a flannel bath robe and unfixed messy hair fit the ideal description of stunning in your most critical fashioned sensed eyes.”

“What could be sexier than a little glimpse of those rarely exposed pecks and that little patch of chest hair? Darling if only you wore the right clothes, you might be tied down by now. Those big brown eyes and thick sexy brows would make any man fall to his knees if only you’d quit covering them with those goofy glasses.”

“Unlike you my dear Travis, I don’t need a man to define me.”

“Oh that’s right. I almost forgot, with your brain, who needs love.”

“Come inside and close the door Travis. And where’s my kiss?”

“I’m saving it tonight for the hottest man in New Orleans. If we weren’t best friends, why I suppose you’d be fucking me tonight.”

“Oh you suppose do you?” Every time Travis visits, we have a habit of lying face to face on the floor. He hates it, but that’s the only way I’ll listen to him when he talks.

“Hey don’t tackle me down on your dirty floor. You’ll rumple my clothes.”

“Well you’ll just have to change. Besides, tell me, what does one wear to a white party?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Let me have a look-see inside your closet. You must have something both white and appropriate.”

“Don’t rummage through my closet. I’m sure I don’t have anything in there that would meet your expectations.” Dropping my three button-up Polo shirts, Travis turned and stared at me. I always wanted hair like his; a subtle blonde with bangs that fall from the left side of his scalp into his feminine azure colored eyes.

“Well your right. You’re also in luck. Sack’s is having a huge sale today. Get dressed and let’s go before it rains. I wouldn’t chance ruining my new Burberry hat.”

I'm not so certain about the*erotic* part, I'll let our experienced writers comment on that. I am curious about the accident and subsequent hospitalization of the lead character. You must provide more.:D

I like the story so far. Here's my input.

There are some typos, more than I have listed –
intoxicated by the heavy sent
This could only be a hallucination, I though,
I’ve been know to be out of the whole social loop.

It gets a bit too wordy in Chapter 1.
So I’ve heard. Having suffered through
However, tonight my friends insist
Sure, I’ve managed to get out the necessities, but nothing more. I agree, while not the most captivating past time activity, time seems to past a little quicker while working. Besides, I still have a half hour before Travis arrives.
Instead, tonight, I couldn’t stop laughing.

Clarify sentences –
Instead, tonight, I couldn’t stop laughing.
He pulls me even closer … Still laughing without control, he starts repeating

Who is laughing in this sequence, Jason or the driver?
Second, he cares more about his social presence than anything else; even me.
Did you mean that Travis cares more about his social presence than he cares for Jason or that Travis cares more about his social presence than Jason cares for his own social presence?

“Oh Shit.” Pardon my frequent solitary outbursts, however inane they may seem they are unavoidable. After three months, you’d think I’d be used to the intercom system in this building, but the buzzer gets me every time. That could only be Travis.

Too wordy; the italicized words could be deleted.

Because of an unusual childhood fear of touching metal objects, and receiving static shocks, I now use a wooden stick to depress the intercom button.

Good quirk.

In the visitor sequence, Travis’s name can be stated less.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the advice. I need to work on my wordiness. I tend to overexplain at times. I will post more as time goes by. I have to develop it a little me. I truly appriciate the advice.

Justin

PS Erotica to follow!! LOL

I enjoyed it, but I believe the post above has already given you a great amount of advice. However, I'd suggest before trying to edit your "wordiness," you get a few more comments of feedback, say ten or so diferent people. It's best to get a majority vote than try to appeal to each individual reader. Try showing the paper to some peopel you know offline, versus an all internet read.

"I don't know the key to success, but I know the key to failure is to try and please everybody."

I think that was a quote from Bill Cosby (could be wrong), not sure, but it still sums up pretty well what I'm trying to point at. Otherwise, I enjoyed it, and good luck to you and your writing.

Thanks seven. I appriciate the advice. I'm really excited about the story. Before I posted via internet, I did allow some friends of mine to read it. I got mixed reviews ie. to complicated with words. Some people enjoyed. I just tend to be long winded when I write.

Do you think it was to wordy?

I don't want to say it's not erotic, but I'm a little overused to Black Lace's brand of eroticism. I would make it a little more smooth, focus more on how they feel than what they do, if you're trying for a truly erotic scene. For one thing, you're going to have to try to get a mostly straight or female audience to appreciate a man getting it on with another man. ;)

Also, if you're going for a dominant angle for the unknown man, I would try to avoid such words as "baby", and I'd add some tone to his voice.

Do you think it was to wordy?

Stephen King is too wordy, but I love his stories. Ted Dekker is blunt and hardly ever wordy, and I love his stories too.

Write how you want, whatever feels best. I never pick at a story for its "wordiness," or anything of the sort, simply because I like to focus on the coherency of the plot (do I know what was happening? For this, yes, so that's a check), and the story (did I enjoy what little I got from the story? For this, again, yes) itself. Critics wise, listen to what others are telling you. I don't pick at writers stories when it comes to the actual format. I just pick at the story itself.

Back