• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October 2013: Adolfo Bioy Casares: The Invention of Morel

Polly Parrot

Staff member
Yes, I am aware this one wasn't one of the suggestions for October. However, because there were so little votes and not a whole lot of time left I thought I'd pick this one as it's a short story so there should be enough time to read it before discussion starts. :)

I believe that in order to fully appreciate this enigmatic piece of work one ought to watch Alain Resnais' film Last Year at Marienbad which drew on its ideas - mainly on time and memory a la Borges. I see it as a mirror which is held up onto reality, or a virtual reality (almost science fiction) which runs parallel to film and tv-reality; a sort of vicarious experience that highlights the reader's/viewer's perception of fiction. It carefully sets up and then later on deliberately blurs the black-and-white distinction (mimicking the silent films of the 20s that the author was so fond of) of the real world and the perceived world.

Back