• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ok folks, who are our smokers and who are our non smokers?

RobertFKennedy

Just curious. I've given up cigarettes a week ago and it's been surprisingly easy. Was never a heavy smoker, about 4 or 5 a day but I imagine it must be a lot harder for 20 and 30 a day smokers to give up.

I have a big cigar in the house and I'm thinking about smoking that as a reward. A cigar or 2 at the weekend every couple of weeks wont do much harm.

Or am I wrong?

You don't even inhale it. Or at least I dont.

I'm a dedicated non smoker. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, especially when I'm at the hospital and there's people smoking in front of the entrance. THAT annoys me.

Cigars can give you mouth cancer...
I was a pack a day smoker... I tried quitting last year and would smoke a cigar every now and then, but then that just led back to cigarettes.
So in April, I quit cold turkey and haven't had anything since. No cigars, no patches, etc...

Libra6Poe said:
Cigars can give you mouth cancer...

I'm sure they can if you smoke too many but I cant imagine smoking one every couple of weeks or on special occasions would be likely to do so.

unlike half my school, i don't smoke. i smoked once when i was five, maybe thats what turned me away :p i grew up in a town full of Polish smokers, and it just didn't appeal to me.

I don't smoke, in fact I've never even tried a cigarette. I'm very much against smoking. It seems like a raw deal to me - it's like saying to someone, "tell you what, you give me tens of thousands of pounds and in return I'll give you cancer". Some bargain. :rolleyes: I'm actually allergic to cigarette smoke, it makes me sneeze and wheeze and I hate the smell.

Just think of the money you will save by not smoking. In the UK it must be nigh on £5 a packet now. Just think, thats more than one brand new book for every two packets. If you smoke a packet a day that's about four and a half books a week. You'd have enough books to last a life time in a couple of years. :D

blueboatdriver said:
You'd have enough books to last a life time in a couple of years. :D

My sister-in-law died of lung cancer. She was a really nice woman and my brother loved her a lot. She tried to quit smoking several times. My son's father-in-law was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and he did manage to quit smoking a while back. He's a really nice man and his family loves him a lot.

On the positive side, if you do get lung cancer, the books you currently have may already be enough to last you a lifetime.

StillILearn said:
My sister-in-law died of lung cancer. She was a really nice woman and my brother loved her a lot. She tried to quit smoking several times. My son's father-in-law was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and he did manage to quit smoking a while back. He's a really nice man and his family loves him a lot.

On the positive side, if you do get lung cancer, the books you currently have may already be enough to last you a lifetime.
on the positive side? thats not very nice.

I've given up, what more do you want?

In fact, never mind. If it felt good for you to try to present yourself as superior on this issue then I'm glad for you. :)

How was that an attempt at being superior? To me it sounded like someone who has experienced the pain of losing someone to the cigs and had a hard time seeing the fun in blueboatdriver's joke.

As for answering the question: I'm a non-smoker. Was heavily allergic to it when I was younger and had a rather traumatising experience involving my eyes reacting so badly that I went blind for what felt like ages. My eyes still begin to itch and sting when I've been exposed to cig smoke long enough, but since I now know that the smoke is what's affecting me I always leave before it gets too bad.
I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and especially the smell of cigars - yich
Pipe smoke on the other hand... yummy, depending on the brand though :p Red Orlik smells of coziness and home (my dad used to smoke it) and McBaren's smells of burnt down candy store... a not entirely unpleasant but altogether disturbing smell lol

Jemima Aslana said:
How was that an attempt at being superior? To me it sounded like someone who has experienced the pain of losing someone to the cigs and had a hard time seeing the fun in your joke.
what joke of mine was this? I dont recall any joke.

I'll just say the post came across pretty badly from her. but hey, I'm over it. it may have been unintentional. :)

I used to smoke, I started when i was 16 but gave up by the time i was 22. Now I prefer not to be anywhere near cigarette smoke and would fully support a complete ban (oh the zeal of a reformed character):)
I was hypnotised to give up smoking, it worked for me after one session but not for my freind who still smokes and still talks about giving up

@ Robert - yeah, and I only just noticed that what she quoted was not yours but someone else's - it has been corrected - my apologies for pointing at you so undeservedly (is that even a word?)

And yeah, her post did sound bad, true enough. To me it sounded full of bitterness towards things cigarette related - and I can certainly understand that given that she's lost one and may likely lose another to that particular source of unhealthiness. I can't really blame her the negative tone in such a post :)

Aardvark said:
I used to smoke, I started when i was 16 but gave up by the time i was 22. Now I prefer not to be anywhere near cigarette smoke and would fully support a complete ban (oh the zeal of a reformed character):)
I was hypnotised to give up smoking, it worked for me after one session but not for my freind who still smokes and still talks about giving up

I've been off it for a week now and I'm honestly not lying when I say it has been easy so far.

They way I've chose to look at it is that I should actually try to enjoy the process and the challenge of giving up, and feel good about it every day as though every day is an achievement. The feeling of achievement is better than the feeling of nicotine in my blood and the thought of a failure fills me with more of a negative feeling than the thought of a night without any cigarettes did previously.

I'm also treating it as a prison that I'm trying to break out of. Digging a tunnel a la the Great Escape so that I am no longer imprisoned by cravings for cigarettes. Kidding myself that I'm somehow heroic in all this is fun too. :)

Back