• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

okay, okay, so I'm late, big deal

baddichter

I got here quick as I could. Besides, traffic in the Metroplex is horrible. All the mums are taking back all those horrible Christmas presents to turn in for cash so they can buy more horrible presents. Anyway, I'm here now, so stop complaining. Actually, I stumbled in to this site by accident and started looking around and, mah gawd, it's like a reader's smorgasbord. And all this time I thought I was the only one with "the disease" as those close to me refer to it when talking behind my back. I like anything good, fiction or otherwise, as long as it makes the English language whimper and moan with ecstasy, or at least emit a stoic smile. Jane Austen slays me, and parts of In Cold Blood should be indexed under poetry. Speaking of which, I also like Dylan Thomas and Czeslaw Milosz's A Treatise on Poetry and Hayden Carruth's Scrambled Eggs and Whiskey, the author's pic alone worth the price of admission. Beyond "the disease", I enjoy contemplating my bellybutton 50 miles along the Laguna Madre, but if you go there, watch out for the illegals coming the other way. They carry machetes. But as long as they're not moving weed, they're friendly enough. I'm also dabbling with some writing. I would absolutely luv for anyone interested to look at the bits and pieces on my web site and tell me what you think, bad or good (believe me, no matter where you throw the darts, my wife has already punctured that part of my skin). And don't let the title fool you. Although some are calling it a "War" novel, I like to think of it as more a boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy has to fight his way back to girl, sort of thing. Honestly, this looks like a fun place to hang out, so I hope to talk with many of you in the future. Besides, the Cowboys s_ _ k so bad this year, what else is there to do besides read and BS about reading. Mah web is www.americanwarrior.org
Adios

Welcome on the boards!

So you like Jane Austen?
By the way your book sounds pretty cool.

Cheers :D

baddichter said:
... tell me what you think, bad or good (believe me, no matter where you throw the darts, my wife has already punctured that part of my skin).
Hmm... you're obviously not acquainted with some of our more incisive members. :)

Welcome, and enjoy your stay!

ds

I just dropped by your site and saw a couple of words that caught my eye - Pentjak Silat. Now this form of martial art I'm familiar with, not because I practise it (I practice Taekwon-doze, which is a highly evolved form of fighting which curiously resembles a person sleeping), but it's very common here I come from. We call it Pencak Silat, though, or just silat. Having watched thousands of silat demos since young has sufficiently underwhelmed me, and I didn't know that it was known outside of our corner of the world.

ds

yah, direstraits, I've seen some players that appeared to be dozing. Actually, there's various spellings of silat but I chose the one, it seemed, was more common in America. The technique is known here but not as much as the Walmarts and Kmarts of martial arts like karate and jui jitsu, etc. Also, most of the silat (like the rest of the fighting arts) you see is government and school-sanctioned stuff for sport, exhibitions, etc., with referees and moms blowing you kisses from the sidelines. The stuff in my story is before that, when it was used as protection and as a weapon. My character Draeger is old school, a la' WWII Indo-Dutch Special Forces, and what he teaches the boy would probably be considered illegal (as well as child abuse) in our modern, correct society (as it should be)

It'll probably be interesting if it were government sanctioned and some such as you mentioned, but it's not for silat. At least, not during the whole time I was schooling (Which was, of course, not too long ago. Yesterday, I think it was). Instead the stuff you mentioned are more for taekwon-do, wushu and judo. Now that you mentioned it, I don't think there's too many of these silat competitions here, despite the fact that it probably originated from this place (with Indonesia).

In proper competitions, we probably leave the moms at home, minimizing the risk of ill-timed flying kisses causing a few ruptured ligaments.

And does your character brandish a kris as well?

ds

Welcome, baddichter! You've got a very eclectic group of books there! Jane Austen AND In Cold Blood!? :eek: :D I haven't read either one for years, and should probably add them to my stack again.

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and kind comments.
Yes, Cathy C., I do like to mix it up. Keeps it interesting.

direstraits, as a matter of fact, I did have a kris there once--a nice long wavy-bladed one, but it got lost along the way, magical powers and all. Readers will have to be content with standard Colt military issue, etc. (but there is a nice scene wth a garden fork)

Back