• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Olwizcomyr

robertd

Here are the first few pages of a novel for children I wrote.

Clovis turned his head toward the noise the nail makes on the nail file. Why this noise in particular? Well, simply because there were no nail files on this side of the Hedge. But there were glutton-sands able to swallow one, and even two, Clovis in just one bite! Fortunately for him, Clovis could spot a glutton-sand as surely as a red hair female fairy could spot a haircutter!
Of course, he would rather forget about this very day when his friend Zelda had to pull him out of one of theses monsters of sand before he was completely gobbled up. Clovis had lost his shoes, his socks and half of his trousers.
‘They look dangerous like this, but they only want to play,’ Zelda had explained between two bursts of laughters.
Clovis was missing Zelda’s laugh.
He turned his head toward the tentacles of sand that were idly lifting themselves above the ground before falling back. He shrugged his shoulders and went his way. He had not come here to play.
Clovis Axehead would soon turn twenty. Two years earlier he had let his mustache growing but had cut it very quickly afterward because every morning, his mirror was telling him his mustache was making him look older. So the following year he had let his dark hair growing too. But he had to take care of it, to cut it, to wash it, to comb it. And his soup was constantly complaining that a hair in the plate was not very appetizing!
Therefore Clovis had no mustache, his black hair was cut short and he was very happy with it.
He couldn’t say the same about this day that had really started badly. The whole week had in fact started badly.
On Monday, Clovis was coming back from Caroline‘s home when he realized he had lost the key of his own house. Fortunately he was able to enter by the window he had left open. And thus he was able to go to sleep and have nice dreams.
The following day, while he was trying to chase a bee that had entered by the window he still had not closed the night before, Clovis had set fire to his most beautiful shirt. The one he was ironing and was always wearing while visiting Caroline. Luckily it was not his shirt, but Narcisse Claude Émile François Dureflet de Lamarre, who had foolishly lent it to Clovis, was now willing to provoke him in a duel.
And Wednesday, the unthinkable had happened. Clovis had failed a magidecontamination (or a magic exSpelling as he was supposed to say!) It was because of the music his key had made while bouncing on the floor of the Steamy Potion. The key was the one he had lost two days earlier and the tune had reminded him of the one the bell hanging on Caroline’s door does. This tune had distracted him at the wrong time and the crystalithe he had almost grabbed in his hand, had exploded. Luckily it was a very small crystalithe, a crystalithe from a beginner sorcerer, a crystalithe of less than a quarter unit. And the explosion was a minuscule one. Surely not enough to produce this famous magic hurricane everybody secretly dreamt to see. But all the same, it was very much humiliating for a magiCleaner of Clovis’s standing!

First few pages? That looks like maybe a page, to me, even in the larger fonting of a children's novel.

But that's neither here nor there.

Wow. That first paragraph is incredibly confusing. If I were a kid, I'd have probably lost my patience and just put it down, pretty much immediately. I was a picky child.

Also, this isn't exactly a huge deal, but don't most children's book centre around children, instead of 20-year olds?

So the following year he had let his dark hair growing too.

Should be "grow".

Therefore Clovis had no mustache, his black hair was cut short and he was very happy with it.

There ought to be another comma after "short".

The idea itself sounds good, but I mostly found this confusing.

You're right, these are the first 2 pages. But there was no real need to post more on the forum since anybody can download the whole thing for free. Thanks for pointing the mistakes. I will correct this.
The book is surely not centered on this character who is only the one who will find the hero of the story (who is himself a young boy. Yes I know it's not very original).
What do you find so confusing? For the moment it's only one man walking along with some strange animal. In a fantasy novel you're bound, at one point or another, to get these kind of "surprises".
But anyway, thanks for stopping and taking the time to read.

I've been removing the link since it has tended to supply a link and nothing more when the showcase is for people to actually post their writing. This time you've posted an extract, which is fine.

But your writing is terrible. It has to be said. That opening sentence, for example, swaps tense between past and present. Either he turns his head, or the nail made a noise.

I actually skimmed over the 308 pages of this tedious mess the other day and couldn't find much to like. Especially given such attempts at humour:

This document can not be counterfeited or forged since it is
delivered by the ‘‘THINGAMAJIG.’’ This was the short nickname for the ‘THINujrosmhdkwnnxciuqiyfq’hsjhdkcdchdjk;Jfhdcniewohfwoksdbdckdgetar??5hdjcnnddfvjhrropwp[odgeuppueirufh;fjhfdjhoiedhjifdueiiwessjddfjhdjyfiep’fgtuuxxuu’ljksdjfujhdhvhdfhjdhgjnjcmnvjkhgforugiut[pirtsardetg’’orgetate[jarnydw’hgjdfhgfru;f’woowooerw’frogahp‘hgah’pugiagafgattrafkhfgaalespaobvresjkkahgtstf;’jhjhjheujdh;r;wfoiteyvuoeruwytvgurhgujr;hbvan48cvg;uryh;tuogoyuhu;tuyoutgra;’gorbytohre;a’qa rgythtuafhcjbhgvak;jvnh;’oytgou’a]upngtiyuoyetart1tertvronywutrpwbutriytghkajsd;fcj’nfv’ddad’putyar’pnioutghfjdhbcvkggkfvjnhoa’rpougouvae;ufng’hemygarbar00tonhgdbpgyraven’i’uoptuwAMAJIG’ a name which otherwise could not be uttered by any normal sorcerer!

What happened? Did you just hit the keyboard in any old random pattern? It certainly seems so.

Then there's the dialogue, which is consistently risible:

‘The Formulon is mine,’ Vincent cried. ‘It is mine. I found it. I
solved the enigma of the gargoyles!’
And you think it’s only by chance that I entered the museum just
when you were passing by? Also by chance I threw this piece of paper
with the drawings of these stupid bats on it? Do you really think I
didn’t see you? Idiot! You fell into the trap. You stole the Albatross
just like Corbizar had planned. The Formulon goes to the strongest
and the smartest. And it’s me!

The biggest problem is that you obviously don't know how to string a sentence together and certainly can't seem to spot the mistakes in your own writing, if indeed you do look for mistakes. The book is full of them, whether it be switches in tense, garbled sentences that make no sense, or a failure to communicate the idea:

But there were glutton-sands able to swallow one, and even two, Clovis in just one bite!
Clovis was missing Zelda’s laugh.
Clovis had always lots of work after these parties, when sorcerers are even more headless than usual and forget that casting spells inside Olwizcomyr is absolutely forbidden.
The narrow and winding path Clovis was walking on was lined with Mohrderirs, these purple bushes covered with hilarious thorns Clovis carefully avoided.
The first encounter between Clovis and Hugo had been much of a
shock. Much of a shock for Clovis that is!

Bad. Just bad.

I certainly thank you for going through the whole book. I am sorry it seemed so bad to you.
I will try my best to correct what has to be corrected.

Stewart: You must have a lot of patience to actually go through this ms. and make comments. More than I...

Among all the other things about this manuscript, the most glaring thing is that it was not professionally edited. This is what happens when authors just write whatever comes to mind, don't run spellcheck with the correct parameters, and forget editors exist for a reason.

One big mistake I see a lot with YA/Fantasy work is seen here. The author launches right into the contrived world he has created, using new terms and settings...and doesn't bother with any explanations or background.
Oh, no...we're going to jump right into this story, and the heck with the reader, who is left scratching his/her head.

Rule: If you are going to do a 'contrived universe' novel, you had better have the patience to set up some background first in the early going of the book, or you will lose readers - and quick. Always assume your readers are smart. Never assume they are clairvoyant.

Sometimes, I call this 'impatient writing'. A writer wants to get into the meat of the story so badly that they forget the reader has to be introduced to your world, rather than shoved into it from behind. :)

I'd hazard a guess (since RobertD's blog is in French) that English is not this author's first language. RD, why don't you look for publication in Francais and leave it up to professional translators to carry your thoughts over into another language?

Take care,

JohnB

A previous master used to call me rien. He said I was his little nothing. I'm not myself French, though. I've been studying it for five years, but I doubt I'm much good. My few French friends have told me that I'm good, but I suspect this is just their way of getting me to speak it so they can giggle at my awful pronounciation. ; )

And, probably, I found it confusing in part because I hadn't had enough sleep. I've reread it, and it mostly makes sense now. Ugh. Coffee is a girl's best friend, but a good rest is a million times better.

I'd be interested to read a French version, if you go with JohnB's idea. I really like the idea, and it'd be much better, I suspect, written in your native language.

Back