• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On a fantasy kick

lady.cordelia

i don't know how well i did on these, as i'm not that familiar with a lot of the fantasy authors, but they were pretty cheap, so what the heck!

i realized recently that i really like fantasy. i don't know why it didn't occur to me before, because i loved hobbit, LOTR, narnia, and the wrinkle in time books growing up. i guess i never really looked and considered it much beyond that.

anyways, since i'm not that familiar with this genre yet, i hope i did well, but please help me! here are my new purchases.

DragonLance Chronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

The Sword of Bedwyr by R. A. Salvatore

The Prisoner of The Iron Tower, Children of the Serpent Gate, and Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash

Abarat Days of Magic Nights of War by Clive Barker

The Fall of Atlantis by Marion Zimmer Bradley (this is the only author I am familiar with)

let me know if they are duds, so i can return them before its too late!

Lady Cordelia... your purchases were for a song right? Then there's nothing wrong with them! :)

Dragonlance and Salvatore is pretty much generic fantasy. If you enjoy Dragonlance, you should enjoy Salvatore. I've never read Weis and Hickman although I have one of theirs in my library, but I gather they should appeal to the casual fantasy reader.

I've read Barker's Thief of Always and Cabal, and he's more tilted towards the macabre and the incredibly fantastic rather than general fantasy, so he's pretty different. Not a bad choice. I understand Abarat is meant for young adults (as is Thief of Always).

Sarah Ash is an author I know of but I'm terribly interested to find out.

Bradley is acclaimed for her Mists of Avalon, so she should be a good writer. Never read her either.

I wanted to say that if you ever want to get a good fantasy read, I totally recommend Guy Gavriel Kay (GGK), or George RR Martin (GRRM).

ds

great! thanks! when i was at the store, i was thinking of you and wondering who is that author he keeps recommending! i wished i had my laptop to find your posts! i have to write it down so next time i'll have it with me.

yeah, they were used books (although most of them were hardback in new condition) and great buys, so no real loss if i don't enjoy them.

I'll just echo what Direstraits said - most of those authors you got are pretty average generic fantasy, but can be enjoyable. But George RR Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay are two of the best authors in the subgenre.

I''ve only read the DragonLance books and would agree that these are good solid fantasy works. I enjoyed them but I'd steer clear of some of the spins offs as they are of varing quality.

What was it you liked particularly about the fantasy works you read - characters, worlds, pace, atmosphere? if you can shed a bit of light then folks will be able to give you some steer (if you want it).

great! thanks! when i was at the store, i was thinking of you and wondering who is that author he keeps recommending! i wished i had my laptop to find your posts! i have to write it down so next time i'll have it with me.
Ah, that's so sweet! :) Nothing nicer than to have a wonderful lady remembering you when she's looking at her favourite things. :)

ds

Back