• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On-line experience

I decided to boldly go where I refused to set foot as an experiment last year and put my blog on Twitter and FB ... guess what ... traffic on the blog took a nose dive ... because why? People don't click on links! So I killed all social networking and now the blog has an active user base / daily traffic that is growing all the time. I integrated a members only forum about a month ago and that has also increased traffic to the blog pages. But social networking - never again.

Also if you do link your content to FB you might want to go read the T & C's very carefully paying specific attention to what rights you are actually giving them to access and use your content.

That's useful to know, I've been looking to replace a hosted digital art gallery page and I do have a twitter account, I don't think I'll be exchanging views for likes anytime soon.

I decided to boldly go where I refused to set foot as an experiment last year and put my blog on Twitter and FB ... guess what ... traffic on the blog took a nose dive ... because why? People don't click on links! So I killed all social networking and now the blog has an active user base / daily traffic that is growing all the time. I integrated a members only forum about a month ago and that has also increased traffic to the blog pages. But social networking - never again.

Also if you do link your content to FB you might want to go read the T & C's very carefully paying specific attention to what rights you are actually giving them to access and use your content.

Interesting.

I bet your experience was not unique.

That's useful to know, I've been looking to replace a hosted digital art gallery page and I do have a twitter account, I don't think I'll be exchanging views for likes anytime soon.

A presence on social media has its place, if you are attempting to increase your visibility on the web and/or feed the appetite of insatiable fans. I know there are companies that say marketing yourself via social media works - but I think only in a sense of increasing visibility. In terms of redirecting traffic ... not really, at least not in my experience. I have pretty good tracking software set up on my blog that tells me where the incoming visitor came from and the number of visitors that clicked a link was virtually zero. Conclusion - people don't click links!

Interesting.

I bet your experience was not unique.

No I'm sure not, but you seldom hear people say so. Its all 'social media is where its at'. Let's also not forget what happens to social media when the fickle public move on - can we say Myspace any one? And it seems, according to recent reports, that FB is experiencing a massive loss of users, leading to speculation that its time is rapidly drawing to a close. Apart from anything else people seem to finally becoming more aware of just how invasive FB actually is, and are seeking out more security / privacy conscious alternatives.

Back