• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On-line experience

Peder

At least one of us has had the feeling that the online experience is changing. I don't see much insightful comment on the topic, but some parts of this article seem to capture some truth of the situation, especially the eye-catching comment:

"It's no secret that Facebook killed blogging"​

Just a thought, in case anyone is interested. :flowers:

Aye. It has been changing continuously since it's inception. I fear it is bypassing it's usefulness for me personally, unless a niche forms that I would be comfortable in.

facebook not only killed blogging, killed social forums, it's killed many a themed forum like this one..... i must be a dinosaur, i mourn them all, and i have been no where near facebook in the years it has been leeching users from the internet.

Facebook has become little more than a place to repost memes and post passive-aggressive remarks about your SO.

Websites that feel like they are being killed by facebook need to join facebook. Programmers can script their sites so that updates on it will appear, in some form, on facebook.

but what if the Very Last Thing that is wanted is any kind of facebook participation?

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are like firearms. In and of themselves, they are not evil. :lol:
But put them in the wrong hands.........

Some of the folks on FB should just keep a personal journal rather than bearing their souls to all and sundry. However, I can keep up with my grandchildren on FB and they often post pictures of themselves which is nice to see as they are 2000 miles away from me.

I like being able to do my research at home or work. Other than e-mail, this forum, Discuss Cooking and shopping, I don't really go much of anywhere else...okay, there are funny cat pics and videos...

I do not use the Internet for Social Networking Sites...there.

Google+ is the future...

It'll need to go some to catch Facebook and registered users don't appear to spend much time on it.

The whole social networking thang leaves me cold, I don't have my own page but I'm on Facebook insofar that I pop up in photos on other people's pages, yuk.

Just noticed the last few times I've logged on to Facebook that old posts re-appear days later, however, last night our son was online from the North West Territories so managed to have a little conversation with him which was nice. So it ain't all bad.

As regards Facebook killing blogging, I would disagree. And from a personal experience my own blog-based site has seen monthly and year on year growth of several hundred percent. And I personally stopped using facebook for my own stuff, but have a FB message board for folks who want to post up info on their books at. But I am thinking of dropping that too to be honest.

Google+ has failed thought I think. And many social media experts I work with/liaise with (I work in the online area) tend to agree.

I'd love for this to be the case but the buzz on it seems to have died on it already.
I use it all the time, but I am just one person. Mostly I use it as a discovery tool for tech articles and such, since that seems to be all that is on there. No one in my circles actually post very much, but I do, and some blogs I follow do.

As regards Facebook killing blogging, I would disagree. And from a personal experience my own blog-based site has seen monthly and year on year growth of several hundred percent. And I personally stopped using facebook for my own stuff, but have a FB message board for folks who want to post up info on their books at. But I am thinking of dropping that too to be honest.

Google+ has failed thought I think. And many social media experts I work with/liaise with (I work in the online area) tend to agree.

In your case Facebook has helped facilitate blogging, in fact that's how I get your updates, through facebook. I think I have only visited your blog site once, and from then everthing has come via facebook. If a blogger isn't using facebook like you are, which is what I meant in my earlier post in this thread, that blogger will die a slow death.

You've raised an interesting point Hugh. The hope was when I started the FB page that there'd be traffic from FB, but as you state you don't visit the site, but receive the updates (which are mostly just summaries of content). So I have to summise that others are doing what you're doing - just getting updates which they're pretty much ignoring (and my analytics pretty much confirms this).

This has made me think quite seriously about continuing to use my FB page. It is not bringing traffic to my site, people aren't reading my content in full, and is really acting more like a content agregator; yet not a good one at that.

For reference almost none of my traffic comes from facebook, but is via organic Google/search engine traffic, and other blogs/sites and varying amouts from twitter (depending on my activity there).

Back