• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

One a Month

ions

I've decided that I will read one non-fiction book a month. Since school I haven't touched the stuff but after Bryson's *Short History of Nearly Everything and Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel I've paid more attention to the non-fiction available and it looks exciting. I don't really have a point here, it's just a lookatme I have a declaration to make thread.

Two somewhat random suggestions:

The Fifties, by Halberstam.

The Book on the Bookshelf, by Petroski.

I've been reading some good non-fiction books this year too and I'd like to read more and see more suggestions :)

Mari said:
Two somewhat random suggestions:

The Fifties, by Halberstam.

The Book on the Bookshelf, by Petroski.

I looked those two up at the library and they do look good, I put a hold on The Book on the Bookshelf.

Anything by Bill Bryson is worth reading ions, he's a very funny man with a wealth of interesting trivia knowledge.

Why Buildings Fall Down: How Structures Fail by Mario Salvadori and Matthys Levy. Describes structural failures of buildings, bridges, and dams.

I like to balance my fiction with a non-fiction book. Some days, I'm just not into the story that I'm reading and I need something more *current* to hold my attention. Pretty good idea there ions, if you loved Jared Diamond' scholarly works, do checkout some books regarding environmental history-a lot of interesting material on the environment and the age of industrialization is out there now.

Well this is an effort to balance my reading. I have already suffered one reading burnout this year. In March all I read was Great Expectations. While I enjoyed the book itself it was hard to make myself read anything. Hopefully the variety will not only be interesting but make me smarterer too! I dug this old thread up mentioning how I am going to read 4 different types of books in cycles. Non-fiction, classic fiction, fantasy and modern fiction. Not always in that order but for every four books one of each.

My non-fiction picks are going to be on the history and pop-science side. Some will be biographical but they will be historical biographies. Mao and Che for example. I have a few non-fiction books in queue including: The Third Chimpanzee by Diamond, 1491 by Charles C. Mann and The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene. I am likely to pick up Collapse by Diamond soon too.

Poppy1, I have read *A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and enjoyed it so I may give other Bryson books a shot. Dogmatix, I have looked at The World is Flat. Not sure if I'll enjoy that or if it will just make me angry. I'm not a fan of most aspects of globalization.

Have you read Carl Sanburg's Abraham Lincoln; The War Years and The Praries Years? Very comprehesive with lots of correspondance and first party accounts. One of my favorite biograpies.

I'm not sure I'm interested in US political history. At least not a full biography on a US political figure. I'm a Political Science grad and really not interested in the field anymore. Just angers up the blood. And I'm Canadian so if I read a biography on a North American political figure it would be McKenzie or McDonald.

I read 1491 last year with my stepfather (a history buff) and it had some very interesting parts, I still have a hold placed on the audio book maybe it will come one day.

Back