• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

One Liners

Do people literally "split the sheets"?

"Hair of the dog" refers to an old-timey rabies remedy, I think. Probably never worked on real rabies though.

StillIlearn
Can anybody shed any light on the origin of some of these weird and wonderul sayings? Can you add some of your own?

F'rinstance, my British stepmother used to say:

" ...and Bob's your uncle!" (meaning: it's that easy.")

I think the general understanding is that the phrase came about when a British prime minister Robert something or the other promoted his nephew. I can't quite remember the details.

I do like the phrase 'wool-gathering' I spend alot of time doing that :D .

You're right as rain, muggle. I just thought it might be fun to discuss their origins. Maybe a moderator will combine the two threads?

I read somewhere that the phrase "stole my thunder" comes from theatre. A man (in the 1800s I think) staged a play in which he used cardboard to create the sound of thunder - a first at the time. The play bombed, but this creative way of "making" thunder was remembered. The man went along to a popular play a short time after, and noticed that they used cardboard to create the thunder also. After realising this act of "piracy", he jumped up and shouted, "You stole my thunder!"

Not sure if this is realiable or not, but that's basically what was written.

Good one, MC. I tried googling stole my thunder and got nothing good, so I'm going to go with your explanation.

I just merged these two threads together.

Also, Beth Ortin did a radio interview and some songs at a radio station I listen to last night. She must have said "Bob's your Uncle" three or four times in twenty minutes. I had never actually heard it used before.

Back