• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

*OPERATION BOOK DROP: Books for troops*

SFG75

As all of us know, many of our brave men and women are serving overseas in various theaters of conflict. Walter Reed Medical Center is where injured service members return for rehab due to being injured in war. Here's what I'd like to do: I'm assembling a care package and would like to collect a good number of paperback books to send to the center for our nation's finest to enjoy. Just a book or two from each person would be great-any genre would work as well. Sci-fi, murder, mystery, high and low lit, you name it, there will be someone who will read it. I'll post a picture of all the books and we can track the package on its way to help a good cause.

Post or PM me and I'll send you my physical addy. Cost to ship through USPS won't be more than $5.00. For overseas folks, I know the cost would be under $10.00 as I've sent stuff over the pond a time or two during the past year. Once I get your book, I'll toss it in the box and gladly ship it out on behalf of every fine member here.

While I know that we have different opinions about Iraq, I think we can all agree that those injured in the line of duty deserve our respect and support. I've sent care packages to Reed before, the auxillary and Walter Reed Society are stand up organizations.

So who is in?:cool:

While I know that we have different opinions about Iraq, I think we can all agree that those injured in the line of duty deserve our respect and support.

I totally agree. Just because some of us (myself included) are against the war doesn't mean we can't offer support to those folks putting their lives on the line to do their job. The men and women serving in Iraq have opinions on the war that are as differing as our own. I know a young man whose job it was to attach lasers to buildings for laser guided missiles could find them. He is wholeheartedly against the war and is headed back to Iraq in a few weeks for round two.

I'll gladly send some books out to you. In fact, I think I know where my Secret Santa book is going now that I'm done with it. I already have your address, so I'll drop something in the mail on Tuesday.

Interesting project. Maybe we can order books on the internet and let the delivery adress be yours. That would make this pretty easy.

OK, I plopped a few (roughly thirty) books and blank journals in the mail to you. All of the books are registered with Bookcrossing, so I hope to hear back on some of them.

I hope you have a very large box to mail these in. Media mail is cheap, but it is best if you can combine your books into a few large boxes rather than a bunch of smaller ones. I had to send mine out in three boxes, which was a bit costly, but it was worth it considering the packaging I was able to recycle instead of buying a new box.

You rock mehastings!.

Baddie-I'll be mailing it off on February 23rd. I chose that date as it would be easy for people to mail it off to me. I plan on posting a picture of everything, as well as including things like coffee and cigars from my own personal stash.

Stupid question time...... Do they have to be Brand New? I have some books that I was planning on taking to Goodwill and I would rather do this.

Stupid question time...... Do they have to be Brand New? I have some books that I was planning on taking to Goodwill and I would rather do this.

Not at all. Only one of the books I sent was brand new. Aou should be fine as long as they aren't smelly, moldy or falling apart.

PM SFG75 and he will give you his address. He is getting the books together and then will mail them out. Be sure to use MEDIA MAIL.

You rock mehastings!. I'll send the smaller one off first and then post the tracking# so we can see it travel off. The larger box will be posted too-thanks a million!. I work with a guy who is in the national guard. I'm going to check and see if we can't send that one(i.e.-the humongous box) to the unit that he's a part of that's overseas. Thanks again.

You rock mehastings!. I'll send the smaller one off first and then post the tracking# so we can see it travel off. The larger box will be posted too-thanks a million!. I work with a guy who is in the national guard. I'm going to check and see if we can't send that one(i.e.-the humongous box) to the unit that he's a part of that's overseas. Thanks again.

I think you might be missing a box. I sent three. No doubt it will turn up eventually!

Just a quick update-I have the addy for Walter Reed, though now I guess they are requesting that stuff go through different organizations. I work with a national guard member whose unit is in Iraq. I'm getting their addy from him on friday. I hope to send out the first box then. Will add more when the time comes.:cool:

Package #1 is off!

Package #2 is off!

The numbers should be good some time today. Package #1 is headed to the Grand Island Veterans Home and Package #2 is headed to the Walter Reed Society. Mehastings's third box will be heading overseas as soon as I get an address from one of two people that I work with who have relatives overseas in the national guard.

Thanks again mehastings, you rock!.:cool:

The fun part is to track these packages. The second one will take awhile as I'm in the middle of the country and D.C. is right on the east coast. The frist number shouldn't take more than two or three days to arrive.

With this being underway, I think we could do it more efficiently. I could PM people addresses and then we all could individually send them. That would be a bit quicker, if not cheaper on me.:D We'll have to make this a monthly or every two months deal. Anyone want to do that?

I have an address from a unit serving in Iraq. PM me if you'd like to send a few books over. Doesn't have to be anything big or cost over $30.00. Just toss in a few paperbacks and a packet or two of kool-aid. Those kinds of drinks are very popular as the heat gets to be 110+.

Thanks to mehastings who provided the two boxes that were mailed. The third one will head to Iraq as soon as I can get to the post office in one piece.

Thanks again folks:cool:

Just toss in a few paperbacks and a packet or two of kool-aid. Those kinds of drinks are very popular as the heat gets to be 110+.

Those little packages of tuna with the crackers in them are also popular. Other good items are:
pens
vasoline lip balm
tissues
bandaids
neosporin
drink mixes that can be added right to bottled water

I have a contact address in Iraq. PM me and I'll send it to you. Troops appreciate books and other presonal items. Click here for a comprehensive list of appropriate items to send.:)

Back