• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Oscar Wilde: The Picture Of Dorian Gray

I finished this a couple weeks ago. No, I hadn't read it before, an oversight I regret now since I really liked it. Without getting too much into it, my immediate (and very cart-before-horse-putting) reaction was "Hey, this is American Psycho for the 19th century!" The same notion of outrageous acts committed by the protagonist (though obviously far less gory in Wilde's case than in Ellis') coupled with the absence on the writer's part of a clear stand either for or against the morality of them, making the book as much a mirror for the reader's own opinions as an explanation of the writer's.

The idea of having the development of Dorian's - for lack of a better word - soul externalized in the form of a painting makes me wish David Cronenberg could have filmed this. Then again, maybe that's what he's been doing all along.

The irony of it is just too dark. Wilde concludes the book by more or less adressing the reader directly:
As for being poisoned by a book, there is no such thing as that. Art has no influence upon action.
Yet, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" was submitted as evidence against him at his trial - so it was obviously an influence upon the actions of his accusers, at the very least.

Sad story. Good book. I have a feeling I'll want to re-read it; there's a lot going on here.

Although tis often interesting to read a book through the lens of existing notions regarding it, with this novel, I reckon its a whole lot more rewarding when you read it in and for itself, ignoring the author.

The descriptions were wonderful, and Wilde's wit is in a league off its own. There are of course the many wonderful pithy statements, such as: Conscience and cowardice are really the same things […] Conscience is the trade-name of the firm. That's all.

Simply excellent. "Ditto" to the person who mourned the lack of any more novels, although you can still enjoy his plays and shorts.

I'm currently reading this & my copy has a portrait of Franz Liszt on the cover. Does anyone know if there is any connection between Dorian Gray & Liszt?

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the
light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden there came
through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more
delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

From the corner of the divan of Persian saddle-bags on which he was
lying, smoking, as usual, innumerable cigarettes, Lord Henry Wotton
could just catch the gleam of the honey-sweet and honey-colored
blossoms of the laburnum

there is something about that that just fills me with joy. It makes me want to be in that moment, because it seems so perfect.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - General Discussion

I just recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I think it might have been one of my favorite pieces of literature ever. The issues it deals with are portrayed in a priceless way by one of the most talented authors of the nineteenth century. I was wondering what others have thought about it because I have heard mixed reactions from my friends.

I picked up Dorian Gray last year and overall liked it. I read it within a book discussion group and was wondering that a lot of the female members felt offended by Wilde's comments about women. Being a women myself I often felt he was right. :lol:

I read it within a book discussion group and was wondering that a lot of the female members felt offended by Wilde's comments about women. Being a women myself I often felt he was right. :lol:

I have read the book a couple of times with pleasure and did not take offense at his comments about women. Wilde was an equal-opportunity wit, taking potshots at all without gender bias.

I bought the book a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it...Wilde is unbelievably witty and some of the views expressed in the book are full of wisdom..you'll learn a lot by reading this book!

My thoughts exactly. I've never underlined a book more than this one - too many great lines in a single book.

Wait, I never underline a book (that would deface it, the horror!), I just highlighted it in my ebook copy. which, I have to say, has been lost, since I don't have a Microsoft lit file reader anymore (not without a great deal of effort, anyway).

Oh, I really love this book! It's one of my all time favourites. The first scene, with Dorian torn between Basil and Harry was just wonderful.

I think I may need to reread. I read it far too long ago and all I remember is a salutary lesson in the evils of vanity gone too far.

Every line has lots of meaning.

I think that's the best way to describe it. I was so taken in by Wilde's writing that I didn't really pay that much attention to the storyline. I dont think it's something I could read again, it was a bit heavy going, but it was an eye opener for me. I'd never read a book whose author played with words the way Wilde did, it was refreshing.

Back