• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Overrated Books

While on the subject of 50 Shades, I recommend the blog I Detonate Around Him, where you can access excerpts of the books. Judging by them, those aren't books I want to read...

That being said, I don't think there are bad books, just because a book isn't good for you doesn't mean it can't be a great book for someone else. And I was glad to see many of my collegues with the 50 Shades book. I'm just sorry I haven't seen them with another book ever since...

I have a theory on this actually :D

It all goes to the hype-machine that is the media and the fact that most people are sheep. The media goes into a frenzy drumming into peoples heads that something must be read, is fantastic, cannot be ignored. Consider the fact that the book has actually been available for a few years - originally as Twilight fan fiction *resists the urge to throw up* - and it was only when the media circus turned its attention to the books that people started insisting it was amazing.

Well I resisted the urge to say it was 'The Lemming Problem' (which you described perfectly)

I have a theory on this actually :D

- and it was only when the media circus turned its attention to the books that people started insisting it was amazing.

My impression from the Gray thread here on BAR is that people started insisting it was absolute trash, especially the fan-fic. I have seen very very few rave reviews -- like no more than one or two out of many many absolutely vitriolic opinions.

My impression from the Gray thread here on BAR is that people started insisting it was absolute trash, especially the fan-fic. I have seen very very few rave reviews -- like no more than one or two out of many many absolutely vitriolic opinions.
I think the likes of here - and other serious book forums - that's the opinion you will see mostly. It's when you venture out onto the likes of FB, or areas where people aren't quite as (this is going to sound really snobbish, and isn't quite how I mean it so I hope you know what I'm meaning) selective or as well-read as the people who frequent these sites. The likes of Twilight and 50 Shades are aimed more towards the "lower end" readers, if that makes sense.

God, I sound like a right snob :D

I think the likes of here - and other serious book forums - that's the opinion you will see mostly. It's when you venture out onto the likes of FB, or areas where people aren't quite as (this is going to sound really snobbish, and isn't quite how I mean it so I hope you know what I'm meaning) selective or as well-read as the people who frequent these sites. The likes of Twilight and 50 Shades are aimed more towards the "lower end" readers, if that makes sense.

Well we won't hold it against you :D :D

Well, that's a point well taken. Thanks. I don't do FB or other social media, so it does make me feel more warm and comfy to know it. I was one of the people defending the book against all comers in the BAR discussion. Now I know that I wasn't alone in the world. Only here. :D

Cheers

I sometimes avoid books that get a lot of hype, because too many times they are a let down. I finish them and think, it was ok, but was expecting world altering based in what others were saying. Later I may even think it was probably good but the expectation of something better slightly spoiled it.

I suspect, most of the times, people who does not usually read books comes across an OK one, and since they don't know what a GREAT one is like, they think the one they have just read is the be-all-end-all of literature. Thus all the hype. Marketing and promotion helps, as most books have only a lame advertisement plan with which well promoted books cannot be fought off.

Well the harsh truth I was trying to avoid saying was that I think that a lot people lack the experience and education to know what a great book actually is. Thus they substitute mass opinion AKA hype for their own sense of appreciation.

Postscript

Like Hollywood Blockbusters, there is a place in the world for the 'Best Seller', just so long as it isn't mistaken for what is actually good. There is value in 'entertainment'. It just isn't either art or great literature.

Yes, the "hate-hype" can be just as problematic as "OMG, this is great!-hype." Which is why it is important to take opinions with a grain of salt and read it for a final verdict.

Yes, the "hate-hype" can be just as problematic as "OMG, this is great!-hype." Which is why it is important to take opinions with a grain of salt and read it for a final verdict.

I definitely vote for "read it," -- any time, any kind, any style.

I disagree. Not everything has been experienced personally. I don't, for example need to taste poison in order to personally know the effects. Ditto with movies and books. Some stuff is poison to the soul and I don't need to read it to know that.

I have to say Peder that at first, I was shocked to learn that you had read 50 shades. That goes to say, I was going with popular opinion that Meadow cited. Of course, I realize the error. I suppose some day I will emerge from the mountain of books in my home and scream "alright!, I'll read it now!, I'll read it now!" and dive on in to find out what all the hub-bub is about. One of the teachers that I work with, has read the book and she said it wasn't anything beyond what goes on presently in her parish on a sunday.:D That means I should read the book, or catch up on the scandalous behavior by talking to a church lady. The TBR list has reached the length of the cosmos I'm afraid. Perhaps the viking satellite will let me know what is beyond.

I don't usually trust other's opinion unless they have proven themselves to be a reliable source. I don't need to try a poison, because reputable historical and scientific resources have already told me how does it work.

I don't usually trust other's opinion unless they have proven themselves to be a reliable source. I don't need to try a poison, because reputable historical and scientific resources have already told me how does it work.

And my years of reading have given me a very reputable opinion to follow on what I like and don't like - ME! :)

I have to say Peder that at first, I was shocked to learn that you had read 50 shades.

LOL SFG, I'm not sure why my personally reading the book should have been shocking; I hope I haven't been coming across in this forum as prudish or a goody-two-shoes. I have found the whole discussion of 50 Shades truly astonishing, on both this thread and its own thread elsewhere on BAR, in the variety of excuses offered for not reading the book, or for otherwise denigrating it. Without meaning to sound as if I am recommending the book, I have found many of the excuses to be truly wondrous. I can't cover them all, but:

I have never heard so many people supposedly horrified by the alleged number of typos in the text. Typos and syntax errors?! Give me a break. I never knew we readers were so mortally offended by such things. (And the number of errors is negligible).

Poor writing style? Feh. One person's poor is another person's OK. An unimaginative heroine with a limited range of expression? Oh dear, oh my! Has anyone looked into the Harlequin series lately? Or the new so called "street-literature" ?

Origins in fan-fic? Oh horrors! There is fan-fic and there is fan-fic. Some of it pretty good, and yes some of it more salacious than 50 Shades. And involving Buffy the Vampire Slayer, no less. Oh shock! Oh horror! Cover our eyes; shut our ears!

There is well regarded literature that has its erotic passages (Lady Chatterly's Lover, Ulysses, the Tropics of Henry Miller).

There are novels much more boring. At risk of being stoned to death, I'll mention Middlemarch, which I am currently trying to read through. Or Far From the Madding Crowd which bested me. Or anything by Edith Wharton.

And as for poisonous, I have read other literature that is truly much more corrosive to the human spirit and to one's understanding of humanity. People should try reading original descriptions of the Holocaust some day.

I would say that, in whatever direction one wishes to criticize 50 Shades, there is literature much more extreme that one might find more shocking. And if one hasn't heard about the varieties of sex before, I don't know what to say, except perhaps that one has led a truly sheltered life.

So, if one feels one will have to offer an excuse to one's neighbors and friends for reading the book, then perhaps one should skip it entirely and, instead. join in the general bashing without reading the book. It seems to bring out the urge to bash in people. But I also think that many a person who shoulders their way through the shouting picket lines, and actually reads the book, will find a book rather different than they expected.

Finally, if for any reason one wishes to not read the book, then just skip it. There are many other books that we don't read either, without getting vociferous about them.

Last edited:
And as for poisonous, I have read other literature that is truly much more corrosive to the human spirit and to one's understanding of humanity. People should try reading original descriptions of the Holocaust some day.

If you are going to refer to my opinion then please at least get it right. I made a GENERAL comment about why I don't read some things in response to your general comment about why one should read everything. I was merely pointing out that some of us apply some discernment to what we read.

And as for 50 Shades of Grey - I waded through the first chapter - and will not force myself to read the rest because:

• romance (if you can call an abusive relationship 'romance') is not my cup of tea at the best of times. I find the genre on the whole excessively annoying and reading it is not enjoyable which kind of defeats the purpose.

• I am not 'sheltered'. I'm very aware of the stuff people manage to get up to in their spare time, however I'm not going to support a book that glorifies the subjugation of women and leads others to believe that kind of abusive relationship is just an 'alternative' way of getting your jollies.

Readers should note that genuine practitioners of BDSM condemn the book as 'abusive' because they maintain a true BDSM relationship is actually one of complete trust. And they do have a point.

• It's badly written, and while I have read my share of 'not great' writing there was still always something that transcended the prose enabling me to look past it. I did not find that here.
As for it being fan-fic - on one hand I applaud its success (although writers of fan-fic should note that it was only published after all traces of its origins were scrubbed) because it gives hope to every one scribbling way hoping to get published, but I just wish it had been a better book, because now every one who writes this kind of tripe is encouraged to think theirs has potential.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. As usual we differ.
I have said what I have to say. I still take exception to the vehemence with which the book has been received. And I think my last sentence still covers it.

Thank you for your response. As usual we differ.
I have said what I have to say. I still take exception to the vehemence with which the book has been received. And I think my last sentence still covers it.

Everyone is entitled to both have and express their opinion, if they did not then places like this forum and others would not exist. So please express your opinion. Have an opinion. Stick to it, change it, but whatever you do express it, forcefully when you are passionate, mildly when you are not. Be a person of opinions. Please! Because to not have opinions, or to be so neutral as to be accepting of everything is to be nothing, open to being led by any passing opinion. Take a stand, and stand for something, because standing for nothing is terrible.

So, if one feels one will have to offer an excuse to one's neighbors and friends for reading the book, then perhaps one should skip it entirely and, instead. join in the general bashing without reading the book. It seems to bring out the urge to bash in people. But I also think that many a person who shoulders their way through the shouting picket lines, and actually reads the book, will find a book rather different than they expected.

Finally, if for any reason one wishes to not read the book, then just skip it. There are many other books that we don't read either, without getting vociferous about them.

I do find it very amusing how many different types of people have read this book. I resisted the hype for a long time and didn't read it, we had the set at the thrift store I was working at and one day 2 of are regulars came in and spotted it. Now these were the 2 sweetest older ladies you ever did meet, quintessential church ladies, always telling us stories of their grand kids and such. So, they spot the book and start talking about, not only do they know what it is, they have read it. One liked it, one did not and they jokingly bickered about it but the conversation was enough to make me say I have to read this book.
As I said another thread I checked out the audiobook and it was everything I had heard it was going to be. It was written poorly, the story was implausible, it was naughty (though I've read naughtier), it was obviously pulling from other stories yet for all that look how many have read it, talk about it and so I say E.L. James has a lot to be happy about ;)

I don't go around recommending or bashing the book but I am glad I read it because the curiosity was killing me.

Back