• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Page Turners

Violanthe

We've all read them. The books that keep us up late at night, that make us talk ourselves into another chapter despite dirty dishes or morning meetings. What do we love so much about them? Is there a downside? Do authors sacrifice anything in creating such fast moving plots?

'The Da Vinci Code' is a page turner and there are plenty of downsides already well documented on here. On hte other hand I'm reading 'Crime and Punishment' and I would say Dostoevsky doesn't sacrifice anything with this (in my opinion) fast moving plot;)

I found HP6 to be a page turner, but this didn't really have as much to do with the story as the fact that I had invested my time in five previous books. I think it's the extent to which you are drawn into a world created by a writer that determines if you will keep reading non-stop.

It also helps to not have to think too much about the plot ;)

The Girl in the Swing - Richard Adams.

An erotic ghost story (by the author of Watership Down). Can't say enough about this book! I read it in about 36 hours. Very suspensful. Beautifully written.

Violanthe said:
We've all read them. The books that keep us up late at night, that make us talk ourselves into another chapter despite dirty dishes or morning meetings. What do we love so much about them? Is there a downside? Do authors sacrifice anything in creating such fast moving plots?

The downside for me is what you mentioned, simply falling behind on day to day stuff that you can neglect, but not for too long. That annoys me when I'm behind on tasks. The other downside is that I neglect sleep and isntead of getting six to seven hours of sleep, I'll only get five or four. I'm someone who has to have their sleep. James B. Parker is a good "page turner" author. Those kinds of works are like drugs-you have an incredible high, but reality comes back to remind you that you are not in the heavens.

SFG75 said:
The other downside is that I neglect sleep and isntead of getting six to seven hours of sleep, I'll only get five or four.

This happened to me last night. I bought "Carrie" and got so into it that I looked up and saw it was 3am. Quite tired this morning, but the coffee's keeping me nice and awake.

I think that with page turners, the author is giving up the ability to make the reader really sit down and think about what has been written. There isn't really anything very philosophical in a fast moving plot. I guess it all depends on what kind of reader you are, or what type of book mood you're in. I enjoy a nice balance of each. Sometimes you just want a good page turner that you don't really have to think about.

The downside of a lot of page turners, in my opinion, is that they are event-driven, rather than character-driven

i agree totally about it being a mood thing --

generally, i really enjoy a good read, but specifically what i'm looking for in that can change with the weather. of late, i have had a great deal of trouble staying awake while reading. mind you, i have been reading some heavier stuff lately. it could well be that my brain is looking for a page turner to refresh itself with.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer kept me awake all night and into the next morning. It focused on characters rather than action. But, of course, any book about vampires will do the same thing....might be why this one did too. :D:D:D

Back