• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

passage from A Day Well Spent

helgi

here's a passage from A DAY WELL SPENT. Keep in mind it's set in an ahistorical likeness of Rome, and the roman Macrominus is very offensive. and the pigs are two adulterers in disguise, with mud caked upon their faces to look like snouts.

Macrominus beseeched Oliver, "Let's rest a moment here before we go inside. It has been a long journey for me, and I have been seated for so long within my litter. There may be things inside that will displease me, matters that have not been attended to, that will rouse tha anger within me. For the moment, I do not want to look upon anything that displeases me. I am happier here, for now, to look upon my pigs and to gather the kitchen's aromas as the steam reaches us."

The slaves lingered about, slapping their bellies while they talked in strange tongues. Macrominus laughed. "They are made eager by the sounds of the kitchen. It is a testament to my feasts that even the servants find their fill!"

Verily, Macrominus became most solemn, and soon he wished to confide in Oliver. "Among my entire household, the one who is to be least trusted is not a servant, but my own wife. She is worse than her reputation, and her reputation would lead one to suspect as much. With every transgression that she does not bother to conceal, another blow is dealt upon my household. She thinks that wealth can afford folly, and so she does as she pleases beneath my roof. She even uses the great size of my house against me, for when it comes time that we should share the same bed together, she hides like a cunning beast. If I send my slaves to search for her, I will find her with one of them, and so I must search for her myself. Only then will she allow herself to be mated.

"It is for all of this that I have been driven to my own transgressions. I would not list them, but she dares to hold them against me! For her revenge, she now humiliates me publicly by refusing to keep her place beside me when my feasts are held. Indeed, she even takes her seat at the far end of the table to insult me further. My table is set traditionally, with one pig at each end. Thereupon, when I could no longer bear my wife's insult, I rose at my place and hit upon the table, asking her why she refused to keep her seat with me, and she answered loudly, and for all to hear, 'You, my husband, will yourself eat an entire pig and its apple! And so I must sit by this far swine if I am to have anything in the way of pork!'

"Her temper is insatiable, and she delights in slandering me in front of men of importance. She will often fool me by acting tame and supplicant, only to unleash her temper when it can most hinder me. But this evening, we shall conspire to tame her before my guests, and she will not know that she is being tamed!"
Oliver asked, "In what way can such a woman be tamed?"

Macrominus smiled, "We shall bridle my bride by her unbridled lust! Indeed, she holds a most peculiar lust for knighthood. She shall be intrigued by your manner, and you must arose her desires before the feast. For this I grant you some kisses upon her. But no one must see! Later, when I take my seat at the head of the table, you shall sit with one space between you and I. She will wish to seat herself beside you, and so she will be tricked into keeping her place by my side as well! To my guests, who will not know of our intrigue, it will appear that order has been restored within my household."
Oliver interjected. "But what if she sits at my other side?"

Macrominus became most thoughtful at this. "Enlist your comrade to sit beside you then, leaving the one space between us. And you must do as I say, for this is all a very important matter. For has it not been said before by a king that the illusion of power soon leads to power itself?"

Oliver smiled with doubtful reflection. "I do not know that such has been said, but whatever kings have said in the past, I shall grant you the favor you ask."

"Then my feast shall go well!"
Macrominus was gladdened by the promise, and he conducted Oliver inside through the front of the house. But a shade of temper remained upon the face of Macrominus as they passed under the she-wolf. Already he was contemplating further revenge upon the many subjects of his household.

After everyone had gone indoors, the streets before the household were empty. The stone likeness of the she'wolf kept its vigil to no avail until verily, a beautiful woman crept by. Venus had clothed herself in the guise of a mortal woman, but she cleverly kept her feet bare to walk softly and without notice. Also bare were her shoulders, and she sported them proudly, daring the sun to freckle them.

Her green eyes darted about with cunning, until verily she found Helgi and Bauwleah upon their fours in the pigpen. She could not help but laugh at the hand that fate had dealt them. She let forth a lovely gale that brought her to take hold of her own bosom.

Helgi was most frightened, for he thought Venus was beholding them with a joyous apetite. He did not guess at her being a goddess, and thought her to be a guest of the house who had perhaps wondered out upon hearing of what fine pigs were to be had. As Venus recovered from her laughter, she decided to taunt the pigs in their pen. She felt sure they would bear any insult, having come thus far as pigs already. She spoke to them as one might choose to speak rhetoric before a beast.

"I would not think to find such beauty in swine, and yet, what wide haunches upon the sow! Alas! beauty can remain in the wake of all dignity! Mud cannot bury it!"

....~~~

Ii

Venus brought forth an apple from within her stole. She waved it enticingly before the adulterers. Both Helgi and Bauwleah had been made very hungry by their suffering, and their eyes followed the apple as Venus waved it before them. Venus smiled and dropped it between them. But verily, as they reached for the apple, their hands became hooves before their very eyes. The enchanted apple lay untouched as the adulterers squealed within their pen.

Venus let forth a lovely gale as she saw their tails sprouting behind them. Helgi felt a pain as his tail curled, and he rolled desperately in the mud, thinkg his quarters had been stung upon by a horde of bees. Bauwleah felt the burden of eight breasts that sprouted beneath her. Neither she nor Helgi could shed their tears, but only squealed for their lament.

Venus sighed and shook her head at them, for she felt no pity for pigs. She spoke at them.

"For love that performs with selfish embrace, perform it here in proper disgrace!"

Venus turned from the pigs and laughed until she blushed. She held her cheeks in delight, shaking her head. Soon she even had to catch her breath.

But as Venus caught her breath, she beheld Macrominus who came forth, having been drawn from his house by her laughter. Venus quickly held her gales and was abashed for having been caught within the throws of laughter by a mortal man.

Macrominus came forth. "I have caught you in the throws of laughter, which penetrates even to the depths of my household. But why have I caught you? And who have I caught?"

Venus answered with measure, "It matters not, so long as you let me go."
Macrominus laughed. "Now you penetrate my house with a sharp tongue!"

Venus smiled. "And now I shall hastily withdraw my dagger."
"Macrominus came forth. "Yes! And quickly, before anyone sees that you met a stranger's admiration with such a dagger, for it is nearly a crime!"
"And your company is nearly a prison, though less captivating. Watch me as I go!"
Macrominus laughed. "How hastily you have withdrawn your dagger! My company befits such a notorious criminal! So stay!"

Venus put her chin upon her shoulder to hide her blushing, for she was abashed at having been beaten at words by a mortal man. Macrominus beseeched her further. "Stay! Adorn my feast as its honored guest. Surely Venus herself could not surpass you! My feast was to be held in honor of her great beauty, but now I shall rededicate the entire proceedings to your naked shoulders. I only hope I do not anger the goddess!"

Venus blushed. "Rest assured that you will not offend her by such a turn of dedication."
Venus became supplicant and made obeisance to Macrominus. She bowed her head and allowed herself to be led by the arm into his household.

Once again the streets before the house of Macrominus were empty, and the stone likeness of the she'wolf kept its vigil to no avail, save the unexpected arrival of a thief. The thief was none other than the pig merchant, for he was a thief when matters called for it. He had followed at a thief's distance behind the shameful procession, aspiring to reclaim his pigs, for he wished to breed them for their fine quality. The pig merchant would not have been so daring, but the jeweler had persuaded him into stealing back the pigs. He had shown upon his abacus great profits to be gained from pigs of such fine quality.

The pig merchant crept past the front of the house. He brought with him a winding of rope that he eagerly wished to tie upon the pigs so he could be done with his thieving. Verily, he came to the alley, wherin he saw the pigs in their pen. He did not notice their enchantment, for they still seemed exceptional among all pigs. Though Venus had truly turned the adulterers into swine, their fair proportion had been such that it could not be all destroyed by enchantment, and they still seemed as the most fit among all swine.

The pig merchant could hear the voices that carried from the kitchen, and so he quickly unlatched the gate and made for Helgi with a rope. Helgi squealed and made a swine's gallop between the merchant's legs. The gate had been left open, and both Helgi and Bauwleah fled into the narrow streets leaving the pig merchant to stand alone in the pen. Now the merchant felt no better than a swine, and he cursed himself.

Macrominus came forth from his house to consign his pigs to the cooks, when he verily saw the pig merchant standing there in the pen, looking very much like a swine as he stood there. Macrominus held is fury as he spoke at the pig merchant.

"My friend, did I not pay you handsomely extra for those pigs I bought from you? What a rare business you conduct. Rarer still, my pigs are scarce. I would have gladly paid even more to have averted this travesty from upon my feast. What shall I say to the fleet of honorable men and their ladies who shall soon be arriving at my threshold?"

The pig merchant became most dismayed and he pleaded, "I have acted upon the wicked advising of a devil in my ear; the jeweler! It is he who has convinced me to do this! But let me amend the situation at my own expense. I shall have brought a ten of pigs to this very pen before your feast shall have even begun. You have my word as a reputable swineherd!"

Macrominus let forth angrily, "I have your word as a reputed swine!"

The pig merchant winced at the reproach, but Macrominus calmed his fury once more, and, stepping into the pigpen, he joined the merchant. Macrominus came forth with a calm demeanor that better suited negotiation.

Iii

"Tell me, why should I have you deliver me a ten of pigs? Even if you returned riding upon their backs you could not issue them here in time to be cooked. But there is a swine that has yet been overlooked."

The pig merchant furrowed his brow. "I do not take your meaning."

"Neither would a swine," whispered Macrominus.

He drew the pig merchant closer and asked him, "In the market, did you not shed you tears for me when you had raised you prices? A kind gesture; worthy of a duke or a lord. Then surely you are shedding tears for me now, as I have lost those very pigs whose prices you were forced to raise."

The pig merchant nodded, for he was cunningly able to bring forth his tears at will, "Yes. If you will look closely, you will see that I am shedding tears for you."

Macrominus drew closer, inspecting the pig merchant's eyes carefully, lifting and squinting his lids. The pig merchant patiently held still for Macrominus. Once Macrominus was satisfied of the tears he embraced the pig merchant like a brother. The pig merchant thought his ploy to be working, but then Macrominus whispered into his ear, "If you will look closely you will see that I have drawn my dagger!"

Down it came, then, the dagger! And the face of Macrominus was vvery different as he wielded the crude and cunning object upon the merchant.

Verily, as Macrominus regained his composure, he stood red in the merchant's blood. With a jackal's mind, he dragged upon the merchant's ungainly corpse, consigning the body to his cooks in the kitchen. At the point of the dagger, they swore their secrecy. And Macrominus knew he would have it, for he swore he would kill their sons and sell their daughters if ever they crossed him.

Macrominus consigned the cooks with a damning task, consigning them to the preparation of the merchant's body in the stead of a swine. Thereupon, he remained in the kitchen as the first preparations were made, lending his cunning to the cooks as they shaved the merchant of his beard and stripped him of his clothes. But soon Macrominus became fearful of being seen while drenched in the merchant's blood, and he crept off into the depths of the household to bathe and redress himself.

As the cooks labored over the corpse they lamented to one another.
"In life, this man was a swineherd, but in death we have made him a swine. Was this the only way to save our master from incrimination?"

"No, but I believe our master has a threefold purpose here. He must both maintain his feast's abundance and be ridden of a corpse at once, but he also wished to be sure of our sworn secrecy. Now our own deeds threaten to haunt us."

"And look at our hands! They are stained with blood, just as our master's hands were stained."
"Our master is a consumate host, and now we see that he will let nothing deter his feast if it can be helped, even if by murder."
"Yes. He is restless in his conspiracies and finding outs. It is no wonder that he must be conveyed within a litter. He spends all his strength upon his cunning."

"There is much cunning needed for murder. And yet, this is the first time we have known our master to murder. What does that say of his cunning?"
"I have been thinking of that. He murdered at a moment's notice, and for the first time, and yet, see how cunningly he saves himself from consequence. He is like a jackal. Though he pretends to prefer diplomacy, he has always been ready to spring to murder. His mind must always be weighing opportunities for a profitable kill."
"Our master will be quite at ease tonight. He wears a false smile well, and his face is a mask of lies. He will sit before the swineherd's flesh tonight without a blink."
Verily, one of the cooks fell to his knees and wept. "We are damned for this! We are murderers!"
Another cook began to weep, but kept at his grim task.
"No, our sin is nameless. Our master is a murderer, but there is no name for what we have done."

so has anybody read through it? Pretty funny, right? See how Macrominus is a very active character

yeah. I thought it was funny, cause throughout the book Macrominus thought the pigs were only conspicuos for their great succulence, as he would say earlier in the book when he was negotiating for the pigs.
...The only way he came to buy them was the adulterers were surprised by the husband, and they ran out into a marketplace, and were only able to hide their nakedness by pretending to be pigs. Their hair was covered in mud too, and stuck to their backs like the modest manes of boars

And the pigs were people but no one except Venus noticed that? :confused:

I think there may be many examples of unlikely disguises working in literature. The most ready example is Mr. Toad as the washer woman.

another example I can think of is Steve Martin, who wore a dress in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, and even though he didn't look like a woman, the gangster he was trying to fool was completely to attracted to him, and even thought Steve was an exceptional woman.

and in A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, two of the characters dressed unconvincingly as women, but were seen as exceptional beauties.

It's my guess that, disguises which convince the characters, but not the reader, are reliably comedic, and are only small stylistic liberties taken upon realism. And as long as the disguises are understood to function in the work, then I tell you it causes no friction within the fiction.

Back