• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Passion" by Mel Gibson

Opinion about "Passion"

• I've seen it and recommend watching.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I've seen it and it's no good.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I haven't seen yet.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • What film are you talking about?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
just PASSIN THU

the PASSION.......Danny glover....LOL......lethal weapon.....not the passion....

The PASSION was meant to convey to mankind what Jesus suffered that we might have the right to say ABBA to the Lord God and not be zapped.

Jesus lived and died that we might receive pardon .....written int THE WORD OF GOD....THE BIBLE

Hopefully, if it did nothing else it aroused curiousity......I know it did that.
I also know it did not reach everyone but when and if that reaching is supposed to be, the seed in the heart will be watered, fertilized and stimulated into growth.

Jesus died a bloody horrible death because according to the WORD he wanted us to be reconciled to God. He was the FINAL sacrifice.....before his death the "I am sorry gift" to God was animal. The animal blood was the beginning, Jesus was the ending and the path to open our eyes.

It was awful to watch, but then what happened to him was awful.....No greater love has a man than he lay down his life for a friend.

A THOUGHT.....People go watch freddie cruger, exorcist, salem's lot, chainsaw massacres, the vietnams movies....horrors blood and guts....and those are "art" and entertainment....but put on a movie about the sacrifice of Christ which has a purpose and people are surprised at the gore.

Just a thought to roll around.

JOHN 3:16 and 17

For God so loved the world (us)
He gave his only son
that whosoever believeth on him
should not persish but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his son to condemn the world (us)
But that the world thru him might be saved.

Nobody ever claimed Freddy or any of those characters were real. People don't change their lives and consequently affect others lives because of idea of Freddy Krueger. Anyway , I wasn't really one way or the other about it. It was just there when I saw it...no affect one way or the other.

Christmas1225 said:
A THOUGHT.....People go watch freddie cruger, exorcist, salem's lot, chainsaw massacres, the vietnams movies....horrors blood and guts....and those are "art" and entertainment....but put on a movie about the sacrifice of Christ which has a purpose and people are surprised at the gore.

Hi Christmas,

I think there's a difference in the type of gore. Horror and War movies tend to display gore as a way to show fear and try and make you cringe. In most cases they are a relatively quick, and yet painful, death where Freddie then goes on to his next bimbo victim and another bomb goes off in Vietnam - mostly snapshots of the whole film.
I think the outcry for The Passion is that the 'gore' and pain was all directed at one person and the fact it was relentless.
Both types of films were made in a specific way in order to evoke a specific reaction from those who were watching it.
Generally, horror movies aren't trying to make you feel much sympathy or gratitude to those who are dying. They normally die because they run up the stairs instead of out the front door like any normal person would.
Gibson was aiming for something else, to show the pain that He went through for us, and to do that he had to use the relentless punishment.

I don't think The Passion was gorier than a lot of other films I've seen, and I don't think people were all that surprised at the 'gore' aspect - just at the fact it was all focused on one person and wouldn't let up - and whereas the camera would normally pan away to something else, it didn't here.

Please remember that this is a book forum and, in this case, we are discussing movies. We do not have a platform to air our religious views, although there are times when I would like to do so.

As a piece of cinematography, I thought Gibson did an excellent job of portraying what he wanted to.

Regards

Mxx

Book Forum

Yes, it is a book forum and I thought about that when I wrote my rely to the statement regarding THE PASSION

As I have gotten older I have the tendency to respond without always going back to the beginning of the programs to see the rules.....I just picked up on the current happening.......seeing is not what it used to be for these old eyes and thinking is easier as the day wears on and this old submarine surfaces.....so....up periscope!

Thanks for reminding me and I will try to do better.

I have to agree that there was no more gore than many horror movies. That the gore was in my belief was needed. It gave the more true image of what happened to Jesus. People back then used public killings as their entertanment. It was going to be gore. The great part of the movie was you could see all the feelings in the Jesus' and his Mother's face. It was a very strong movie, even for me who is not religous.

the gore was cool, but my opinion is that mel gibson tried too hard to make me feel sympathetic, with the war bongos and the slow-motion sequences every five minutes, I felt like there was someone pulling at my sleeve through the whole thing. it was disappointing. not that I think a film should be shown from a neutral perspective, most of my favorite films (a clockwork orange, straw dogs, ikiru) are presented from the main character's vantage point, but the passion was pure, unadulterated propaganda.

Back