• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Patricia Cornwell/Kathy Reichs Genre?

Poloi

What would you say is the genre of fiction for Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs' novels? Would it be crime, thriller mystery? Is there a subgenre for this type of fiction? Where can I find a list of authors like them where there is usually a forensic anthropologist or someone in that nature that tries to figure out who the killer is?

Yes, crime, but also under Detective as well.

Maybe Forensic Detective?

Some of the tags in the front of the Reichs books are...
Forensic anthropology, Women anthropologists.

Cornwell Reichs Forensics Anthropology

Patricia Cornwell is a forensic pathologist in real life ... and they are the folks who help solve the crime ... as Kay Scarpetta does along with her team. I think since the police are almost always involved with forensic pathologists who don't work on their own her novels probably fall under: FORENSICS; POLICE PROCEDURAL; CRIME

I know that Reichs is some kind of scientist ... I read her first book and was so turned off by her character, her decisions and the style I have never read another of hers. So I will take the highroad and not categorize her novels. I understand that she is very popular but she's not my kind of writer.

Jefferson BAss writes a BODY FARM series similar to the forensics novels. If you put any of the above words in your search engine you are sure to come up with a host of writers who would suit your taste.

Forensic Crime

I write a series under the pen name D. H. Dublin that has been called similar to Reichs and Cornwell, and it is variously described as "forensic crime," "forensic mystery," "forensic crime thriller," or more broadly "police procedural."

Check out Elizabeth George. Not exactly the same genre as Cornwell or Reichs but very good anyway. And if you're looking for non-fiction, you may want to look up a book called Stiff: the Real Lives of Human Cadavers.

I'd like to clear something up. Patricia Cornwell is not a forensic pathologist. She worked as a reporter (The Charlotte Observer) and later as some kind of programmer at a morgue, which is where she got interested in autopsies and such. I think she even worked as a volunteer police woman. But she did not go to Med School.

Kathy Reichs, on the other hand, IS a forensic anthropologist (like her character, Temperance Brennan). She has taught at several universities and works for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in North Carolina and for the Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Québec.

Well, I'm off to watch Bones :D

I'd like to clear something up. Patricia Cornwell is not a forensic pathologist. She worked as a reporter (The Charlotte Observer) and later as some kind of programmer at a morgue, which is where she got interested in autopsies and such. I think she even worked as a volunteer police woman. But she did not go to Med School.

Now that is interesting, I didn't realize it. Thanks for posting that info.

Not A Doc

check Out Elizabeth George. Not Exactly The Same Genre As Cornwell Or Reichs But Very Good Anyway. And If You're Looking For Non-fiction, You May Want To Look Up A Book Called Stiff: The Real Lives Of Human Cadavers.

I'd Like To Clear Something Up. Patricia Cornwell Is Not A Forensic Pathologist. She Worked As A Reporter (the Charlotte Observer) And Later As Some Kind Of Programmer At A Morgue, Which Is Where She Got Interested In Autopsies And Such. I Think She Even Worked As A Volunteer Police Woman. But She Did Not Go To Med School.

Kathy Reichs, On The Other Hand, Is A Forensic Anthropologist (like Her Character, Temperance Brennan). She Has Taught At Several Universities And Works For The Office Of The Chief Medical Examiner In North Carolina And For The Laboratoire De Sciences Judiciaires Et De Médecine Légale For The Province Of Québec.

Well, I'm Off To Watch Bones :d

Mea Culpa
I Had To Google Her Again And You're Right ... She Is Not A Forensic Pathologist. But She Sure Can Write About One Can't She?
Thanks For The Heads Up I Was Under The Wrong Impression.

Love George

I Love Elizabeth George And Have Read All Of Her Books ... Her Newest One, Careless In Red Is ****

Good Recommendation

I Love Elizabeth George And Have Read All Of Her Books ... Her Newest One, Careless In Red Is ****

Good Recommendation

I second that. I enjoy the Inspector Lynley books very much and Barbara Havers is one of my favourite fictional characters.

I'd also recommend Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series - a strong male protagonist with an equally strong and interesting female partner.

Back