• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Patrick O'Brian: Master And Commander

Sapper41

Master and Commander

Any read any of Patrick O'Brians Aubrey/Maturin series? Master and Commander is the first one. I've read M&C and also the second one Post Commander They were both very good. Just wondering if anyone else likes them? I know this is not the film adaptation forum but did anyone else like the movie?

I received Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian as a birthday present and I have less than 60 pages to go before finishing it. I think I'm going to read the rest of the series.

Has anyone else read this series?

My boyfriend read the series and my friend read it and they both love it. My boyfriend's been bugging me to start on it and I've got Tasku making sure I finish the first book by the end of March (I think that's when I promised I'd finish it). I'm looking forward to reading them, though I'm worried I'll be sad when I get to the end. My boyfriend was pretty sad when he read the 21st (and last) book, which is unfinished and has O'Brian's handwritten pages in it.

I finished it not too long ago. There are a few portions where the action changes and I thought "did I skip 4 pages?" but aside from that I really enjoyed it. I did find the ending to be a bit abrupt and somewhat anti-climatic but there are 20 more to read so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about that.

I had high hopes when I picked up The Wine-Dark Sea, but I didn't enjoy it enough to read more. I read CS Forester's Hornblower series last year along with a some other seafaring books from Forester, Alexander Kent and Rafael Sabatini. This years selection seafaring selection starts with Dudley Pope's Ramage series. Good luck with Patrick O'Brian.

I had high hopes when I picked up The Wine-Dark Sea, but I didn't enjoy it enough to read more. I read CS Forester's Hornblower series last year along with a some other seafaring books from Forester, Alexander Kent and Rafael Sabatini. This years selection seafaring selection starts with Dudley Pope's Ramage series. Good luck with Patrick O'Brian.

What would be your top 5 novels in this genre?

I got a ring for my birthday, yessss, and dropped it on the shore, my biiiiirthday present from ol' Pat Mc'Brian....golem....golem...

I forgot to mention that I recently started on book two of the series Post Captain. I'm only about 200 pages into it.

I love Patrick o'Brian,and Forester.I wish there could be a Adventure,historical fiction,..section in this forum.It's the genre i find the most entertaining and usualy educating to.The autor are often very well informe on there subjets.There is the link betwin fiction on non fiction.
Wilbur Smith wrote some seafaring stuff but of poor quality compared to O'brian.

What would be your top 5 novels in this genre?

Sorry, I missed the question.

1. The Sea-wolf by Jack London (This is one of my all time favorites)
2. The Captain from Connecticut by C.S. Forester
3. In Gallant Company by Alexander Kent
4. The Sea-Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
5. Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester (A Hornblower Novel)

Other favorites
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The rest of the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester
The first three in the Lord Ramage series by Dudley Pope (I have only read the first three of 18)

Thanks Robert.

The Sea-wolf is on my list of books to read, I'll usher it to the front. Overall, how is the Hornblower series?

My goal is to read all of the Aubrey–Maturin series then move on from there so I probably will not get to The Sea-wolf until 2010.:eek:

Thanks Robert.

The Sea-wolf is on my list of books to read, I'll usher it to the front. Overall, how is the Hornblower series?

My goal is to read all of the Aubrey–Maturin series then move on from there so I probably will not get to The Sea-wolf until 2010.:eek:

The Hornblower series is very good. The reader follows Hornblowers career during the Napoleonic Wars. I don't believe the series is classified as historical fiction, but it does include many historical figures and the reader does get a feel for some of the issues of sailing ship of the era. Hornblower's strength are his quick mind and his ability to lead men.

Enjoy Aubrey-Maturin. If Wine Dark Sea was any indication, it's a good series, it just wasn't what I wanted at the time.

Thanks Robert.

Move The Sea Wolf to the top of your pile! I love that book :D

I tried to read these. I really did. But when I was halfway through the first book and we hadn't even finished loading the ship, much less actually made it out to sea, I decided I had had enough. Would like to try a few of the others mentioned in this thread, though. I could use a little swashbuckling right now.

Believe it or not, his writing gets better in the second book.

Really? Sigh. I loved the movie so much and adore historical fiction. It was just such a colossal disappointment when I started reading the first one. There's so much I want to read that this is definitely one of those cases where I'm just going to cut my losses and move on. Maybe some day I'll have time to try again.

Back