• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Patrick Süskind: Perfume

I've heard several people mention this book on Badger & Blade but I had no idea what it was about. Sounds interesting.

I saw this at the library last week, but I put it back on the shelf. Maybe I shall give it a go, next time I see it.

Perfume – rather shocking...

I’ve just finished reading Perfume by Patrick Süskind, and was totally shocked at how it ended! In fact, the last few chapters were unexpected, to say the least! Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy the book. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read…
I was just wondering if I’m the only one who was left with my jaw hanging open?! :eek:

Well DD I too read it, and to be totally frank with you, it was Bull, and has put me off ANYthing been translated ever. The film version too, I believe, died a death too.! (not too surprised about THAT either.)

Wont reveal, such as it was, the 'plot' but I couldn't wait to be well shot of it.!

Perfume has been a book I've been meaning to read. I didn't have the dime to spend on it when I was some local book stores, not too far from my dorms. I read the first couple chapters. I have book critic friends who claimed the language to be too simple and general, but after reading and glancing through I saw it rather descriptive and addicting. The only downfall I saw, by looking at it, is it appears to be too short of a read. Perfume is still on my list to read.

Not to get off topic, but I have to say that the movie is by far the greatest movie I've ever seen, it's the "beautiful" movie I've been searching for. I recommend reading the book first (even though I have not read it myself). Even the movie's ending is shocking!

My thoughts:

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

Patrick Süskind's novel is an extraordinary read; an onslaught against the senses almost from the opening words, as he conjures an olfactory description of 18th century Paris to make the mind whirl.

And there is little let up from then on, as we are drawn into the story of Grenouille, an unwanted accident who barely escapes his mother's murderous intentions before his own cries send her to trial and execution.

This is a child with a difference; beyond his almost feral nature and ability to survive, he has an extraordinary gift – a nose that can discern scents way beyond what normal humans can. Yet as he stands amidst the smells of the French capital, catching the scents with his mouth open – like a cat flehming, Grenouille himself is devoid of odour, an olfactory blank on the pungent pages of life.

Despite his disadvantageous start in life, Grenouille decides to follow his perfect career path as a perfumier. But as he learns the essential skills of his trade, so he starts his subsidiary career as a murderer.

Remarkable storytelling from Süskind, Grenouille is a character who repulses and fascinates at the same time.

It slows down a little in the middle section, where Grenouille becomes a mountain hermit, but the subsequent events and denoument are again first rate.

It raised a number of questions in my mind – what is 'normality' and 'morality', together with the linked question of whether, if one smiles with Grenouille at the culmination of the trial sequence, what does that say about your own 'morality'?

Süskind’s Perfume is a dark and pungent read.

Now I'm curious about this book, I've heard such diverging opinions. I think this is one I'll have to pick up in the store and actually read a bit. Since I usually order through Amazon or Powells, it'll have to wait a bit.

Back