• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

PC alert PC alert --- what's next?

Motokid said:
On the contrary....you get a perfect score giving you 100% which is an A+

an "A-" would be scoring 90% - 93%

an "A" - 93%-98%

and an "A+" for 99%-100%

then there's extra credit problems that exceed the scope of the test, and is for those kids who really know the shit out of the subject...

possibly giving a score above 100%....
Hold on - i'm slightly confused. First you state "you get a perfect score giving you 100% which is an A+" then you say "and an "A+" for 99%-100%". I agree that (at least for GCSE level) 99%-100% is an A* - this is what I typed in my original post.

... an A* does not denote that the grade is above 100%, it merely denotes that you were in the top 10% (I think) of the A grade students in the country.

So if an A grade is 90% - 100% (a margin of 10%, the top 10% of this denotes an A* grade student - 10% of 10% is 1% :) )

As for extra credit problems - I do not believe in them. If you wish to set a child extra questions then fine, but they should not be included in the normal test, or if they are then they should be graded as such.

JMO :)

So you give a class a basic addition math test. 10 problems all involving additon of simple double digit numbers like:

10 + 15 =

25 + 10 =

then for extra credit you throw in something like

1,865,937 + 1,000,017=

Shouldn't the kids get some kind of extra credit points for getting that correct?

Extra credit? No. I would say make the basic test worth 80% (for example) and the 'extra credit' worth the remaining 20%. Failing that, they just get recognition for being able to do the extra credit in the form of a certificate or similar. I do not believe in scoring higher than 100%.

Motokid said:
then for extra credit you throw in something like

1,865,937 + 1,000,017=

Shouldn't the kids get some kind of extra credit points for getting that correct?

Why? You most likely aren't rewarding super smart kids. You are rewarding parents who push their children to learn ahead of their peers. You know those kids, the ones who can read chapter books and play classical piano at four but don't know how to simply play by them selves.

At the risk of digressing slightly...

Robert said:
...we can't have advantages for boys.
Treat them all the same.

And what is wrong with that? Surely boys and girls should have the same opportunities and choices?

Robert said:
Now in many classrooms, boys are treated like girls and are expected to act just like the girls by sitting quietly in the classroom with their hands folded in their laps.

IMO, it's not a question of boys being treated like girls. If it were my classroom, I would expect all students to sit quietly and pay attention, regardless of their gender.

Robert said:
Blast the womens movement to hell where they belong.

That's twice you've blamed "the women's movement" in this thread. I take it you mean feminism? How exactly is feminism to blame for all this PC crap that is around at the moment? Regular posters will know that I can't stand all this "chalkboard not blackboard, vertically-challenged not short" PC crap, but I don't see how wanting women to have equal rights with men is to blame. Unless you are talking about those extremists who have made it so that you cannot say "mankind", only "humankind". Believe me, those people aren't only members of the women's movement. PC crap originates from both genders.

Halo said:
At the risk of digressing slightly...
And what is wrong with that? Surely boys and girls should have the same opportunities and choices?

It isn't a matter of equal opportunity. It's a matter of changing the learning environment that puts boys at a huge disadvantage. Boys are not plugged in the same as girls. They need to run of energies, and they respond very well to competition (greades, etc.).

In essence, boys are being pushed aside. The Women’s movement is very much to blame because the changes that we’re seeing are a direct result of their pressures.

Now it may be different in your country, but it’s really screwing things up here in the US.

Schools should not be designed to give girls a leg up on boys, both sexes should be equally prepared for college when they finish up grade shool.

Robert said:
It isn't a matter of equal opportunity. It's a matter of changing the learning environment that puts boys at a huge disadvantage. Boys are not plugged in the same as girls. ... they respond very well to competition (greades, etc.).

The differences in how boys and girls learn are well-recognised in the UK, and teachers are encouraged to use a variety of teaching methods which suit boys and girls. So how have learning environments changed in the US to favour girls? (Conversely, how did they previously favour boys?)

The Women’s movement is very much to blame because the changes that we’re seeing are a direct result of their pressures.

You could argue that after hundreds of years of having no opportunities and being held back, girls are finally getting the chance to shine! [Devil's advocate moment there] ;) The "women's movement" thing must be different in the US.

Schools should not be designed to give girls a leg up on boys, both sexes should be equally prepared for college when they finish up grade shool.

I agree. I really disagree with so-called "positive discrimination". :mad:

Halo said:
The differences in how boys and girls learn are well-recognised in the UK, and teachers are encouraged to use a variety of teaching methods which suit boys and girls. So how have learning environments changed in the US to favour girls? (Conversely, how did they previously favour boys?)

You could argue that after hundreds of years of having no opportunities and being held back, girls are finally getting the chance to shine! [Devil's advocate moment there] ;) The "women's movement" thing must be different in the US.

I agree. I really disagree with so-called "positive discrimination". :mad:

Please don't get me wrong, Halo. For the most part, the Womens movement has been a positive thing. Just like anything else, there always seems to be people pushing things to the extreme.

Robert said:
Please don't get me wrong, Halo. For the most part, the Womens movement has been a positive thing. Just like anything else, there always seems to be people pushing things to the extreme.

Very true.

Here in Yorkshire, we have a saying about "calling a spade a spade", meaning to be straightforward, and not using all that PC vocabulary that so annoys me. Altogether now: Short! Blackboard! Mankind! Fail! :D

I can't even remember what you are supposed to be calling Gollywogs these days :rolleyes: I really can't be bothered with Political correctness, as long as the term is not meant in a derogatory fashion then there is no harm in it.

Robert said:
Now add that to the the PC police banning activities at recess that might lead to injury, however slight.

I suspect this has more to do with the school beeing afraid of getting sued by the parents if anything happens to their child.

Yes, some primary schools in the UK banned children from playing conkers in case someone got hurt. (Is this played anywhere apart from the UK?)

You've never played conkers :eek: You haven't lived :D It's a playground past time at primary school. You find the best conkers you can, drill a hole through them, insert a shoe lace or string - then you pair up and try and hit each others conkers to smash them :D

Ice said:
You find the best conkers you can, drill a hole through them, insert a shoe lace or string - then you pair up and try and hit each others conkers to smash them :D

Well, that's not as bad as I had envisioned, I guess... what are these conkers made up of? Mother's fine china?

Robert said:
I'm sure we already have this crap in the states, Motokid.

Better believe it. For our state standards test, students who test below passing are in the "progressing" stage.

Halo said:
Yes, some primary schools in the UK banned children from playing conkers in case someone got hurt. (Is this played anywhere apart from the UK?)

British Bulldogs was banned nationwide :( , but it was never violent the way we played it, it was the funnest game ever.

Ellie82 said:
British Bulldogs was banned nationwide :( , but it was never violent the way we played it, it was the funnest game ever.
Mmm, it was banned at my Junior school after one of the kids broke an arm playing it, that's a good 25 years ago now.

It's nothing new and it's not just schools. I remember a ladder being arrested in some army barracks nearby. The reason was that a soldier had fallen from it. There were other objects arrested but I cannot remember them.

Back