• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Peoples Attitudes About Reading:

Long story short,The school's taste in literature is utter crap on the highest levels.

:lol: Well stated, friend.
English teachers should give kids carte blanche, but that would be difficult to pull off since they'd have to actually read to develop their tastes.

:lol: Well stated, friend.
English teachers should give kids carte blanche, but that would be difficult to pull off since they'd have to actually read to develop their tastes.
I swear,one day I will try to get the school to run a experiment.

For that year,let the kids read Romeo & Juliet,and then let them read something like Darkly Dreaming Dexter,Cell,etc.

Then we ask the kids which did they like better. Of course,we all know which book would win.

I remember I had to give a speech for my English class,so I chose "Why are kids not reading?" propaganda. I mainly did it to piss off my teacher,because I didn't like him :whistling:. And because I have hated every school book I have ever read.

I read a scene from my 6th favorite book. It was the only book on me at the time:argr_static1.tangentlabs.co.uk_images_bau_97803074_9780307473714_0_0_plain_dearly_devoted_dexter.jpg

After I read the scene my teacher said "Who would honestly read this book?". My fellow peers were cheering for me :lol:. Sadly afterwords,they went back to reading there Twilight shit :sad:.

It seems weird to me how many of my friends never read any books unless they become so popular that they feel like they have to read them (like harry potter). Oh well, people are entitled to do whatever they like I guess

I swear,one day I will try to get the school to run a experiment.

For that year,let the kids read Romeo & Juliet,and then let them read something like Darkly Dreaming Dexter,Cell,etc.

Then we ask the kids which did they like better. Of course,we all know which book would win.

As a home schooling mom, when my kids reached middle school and highschool, I made up long lists of titles for them to pick from.(Always with the caveat that I'm open to including great finds of their own). I included classics as well as contemporary works. What I learned is that some kids gravitate towards the classics on their own, while others just aren't interested.Yet. I have a daughter and son who will read a Shakespearean play, then rent/borrow/buy a film adaptation and show to the whole family. And don't even get them started on all the Jane Austen books and films! So, go figure.

JosieMurphy posts merged

I don't like to read the whole story of a novel, that is my attitude. It's kinda weired but that's me.

My attitude in reading is kinda weired because I will not read the whole thing.

I've imagined something strange in this.

They are some of the most intelligent people I know.

Back