• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

People's characteristitics

JPTritterey

Do you think it is important, when adapting a novel to the screen, to keep the character's characteristics (i. e. their looks, likes & dislikes, personality traits that are NOT important to the movie itself) in the fimal version of the movie.

I ask this because I am currently reading a novel that was later turned into a great film but, a lot of the major characteristics of these people have changed. For me, as long as they don't impede on the storyline itself why not?

I don't see why you can't change things a little. Audrey Hepburn is not physically anything like the description in Breakfast at Tiffanys. I also enjoyed both the book and movie version of Possession, even tho one of the characters had morphed into an American.

i personally am very particular to see to it that an adaptation is exactly like the original book. any tampering with the book is like an insult to the author's efforts. if the things that are changed are too minute to affect the storyline then why bother changing them?
such changes make me feel that the director just wants to leave his mark on the film
i agree that some things just cannot be helped but changed. for example Agatha Christie's detective Hercule Poirot has an egg shaped head and its tough to find an actor like that. for such cases i dont have a problem

Usually I am not a stickler, but some months back Danish Television showed the Inspector Lynley series (TV adaption of Elizabeth George's crime novels - which I love dearly).

I bothered me quite a bit, that in stead of being tall, blond, brown eyed, extremely - almost classical - handsome, very well (althought conservative) dressed - as our detective inspector was described in the novels, the main character on TV was tall, dark, possibly brown eyed, not exactly THAT classical beautiful, and certainly not that impeccably well dressed. :( :(

Oh, and he drove the wrong kind of car. :mad:

After af bit, I was able to see past this, and enjoy the series - and Nathaniel Parker as Thomas Lynley. :)

Hobitten

I can get over the characteristics not being the same, but I prefer the film-makers to stick as closely to the novel as possible. Normally, if they've changed characteristics, they've changed other things that are more important, as well. I tend to then view it as not the same as the book, a story, but not the same one, and I'm more able to enjoy what I'm watching.

Red in Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was a red headed Irishman. Red in The Shawshank Redemption was black. It explains Morgan Freeman's knowing smile when asked why he's called Red.

The license awarded this character didn't affect the story.

Back