• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Personal Book Database

Samerron

What is the best way to keep a database collection record of books? Since I’m planning on organizing my books and keeping track.

I have downloaded two programs from the internet (a trial version) but wasn’t sure if they were good enough.

I’m looking for a program that looks through the web for your book and saves it in the data base, without typing all the fields by yourself. I remember once I found a website that allows you to create an account and keep a database of you books online. It was excellent, because you can add the book from the internet (example Amazon) and then change the cover, you can give it a rating out of 5 plus many other options.

If any of you uses a database to keep record of their books, let me know what is your recommendations...

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks and decided to finally show myself. :)

I use eLibPro to catalog my books and so far i'm fully satisfied with it. Recently I also discovered LibraryThing and while the original idea was to use it as an online backup catalog I became addicted to browsing other people's libraries and the site's reccomendations. :)

Hello Hanno and welcome. I'm downloading eLibPro and hope it's satisfying for me. I don't know on which software to decide.

Samerron said:
Thanks... :)

Which one is better Lista or LibraryThing?

LibraryThing seems to have better functionality and much more users - so recommendations are better. However you have to pay, $10 I think, if you want to store more than about 200 items. So I use Listal which is free.

To be honest there seem to be a number of these kind of sites springing up at the moment. I'm going to wait until one of them wins out and becomes the 'site of choice' before deciding if I want to go to the effort of recording my entire collection, at the moment I've just stored the books I've read this year plus my TBR list.

Thanks for the welcome.

Frankly, I reccomend LibraryThing. I said that I intended to use the site as an online backup, but as things turned out, eLibPro became the offline backup instead. :) Since both the site and the program have good import/export options, it's easy to keep them synchronized and LT has the whole social element going for it.

Very interesting services offered thus far. I'll also wait until there is a superior one that is free.

I guess eLibPro is what I mostly prefer. It saves the database on your hard-disk and it's easy, plus it can connect to Amazon to get what you need. I also like it cause you can choose the location of your book, so in this case I won't forget where my books are... :rolleyes:

I had planned on using Excel to keep track of mine, but I signed up at that site Listal. It's kind of cool. I've spent more time cataloging my collection of DVDs rather than books though... Yes, shameful behavior, I know.

While i find the process frustrating(why can't we have star trek tech,it;s the future already jeez) i use librarything and a book in my bag :D

Samerron said:
Anyone is using Microsoft Access or have used it?

I have an access database. My other half (techno whiz that he is!) even managed to write a code that means I can scan the ISBN's online to get an image of the cover for the database!

I like my access db as it means that I can have custom columns (and add to it as I wish), such as a checklist for my signed book collection.

Thursday said:
I have an access database. My other half (techno whiz that he is!) even managed to write a code that means I can scan the ISBN's online to get an image of the cover for the database!

I like my access db as it means that I can have custom columns (and add to it as I wish), such as a checklist for my signed book collection.
Did you work on making th Access database or downloaded it somewhere from the internet? Until now I find eLibPro the best thing that suits me.

I created the Access database myself from scratch.

I wasn't too hard to do once my other half did his ISBN searching thing! As well as adding the cover image, it did most of the searching and filled in author/title etc as well.

Once we had the main stuff added I manually input the new books I acquired.

I was using LibraryThing as my primary database, but as I was fast approaching the 200 book limit on my free account I switched over to Listal. It takes time to add everything in and to tag, but I think it is worth it. I know a lot of people are trying to get the option to be able to change the covers of the books once they are added, which is very much needed because half of my covers don't match the actual books I own and some don't even have a cover. I prefer LibraryThing's way of adding books, but I don't really want to have to pay to use it. Hopefully Listal will improve over time because it is in development. It is also good because it is not only books, but movies and music too. :)

tartan_skirt said:
I was using LibraryThing as my primary database, but as I was fast approaching the 200 book limit on my free account I switched over to Listal. It takes time to add everything in and to tag, but I think it is worth it. I know a lot of people are trying to get the option to be able to change the covers of the books once they are added, which is very much needed because half of my covers don't match the actual books I own and some don't even have a cover. I prefer LibraryThing's way of adding books, but I don't really want to have to pay to use it. Hopefully Listal will improve over time because it is in development. It is also good because it is not only books, but movies and music too. :)
I was having that covers problem as well.

Back