• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials

Thanks for info on this. Am looking forward very much to reading the next two installments.

I find the debate about what constitutes a childrens book quite funny. I remember when I was a kid alternating between Stephen King, 'The Animals of Farthing Wood', James Herbert and Nancy Drew mysteries. As an adult I obviously haven't changed much as I'm still alternating between 'childrens' fiction (Harry Potter and this) and 'grown-up' books.

Funny old world.

Originally posted by headpodd
As an adult I obviously haven't changed much as I'm still alternating between 'childrens' fiction (Harry Potter and this) and 'grown-up' books.

Me too! In fact, I've read more children's literature in the last few years than I did when I was a child! :) Maybe it's because the fantasy genre is so strong in kids' books at the moment.

I regularly re-read Encyclopedia Brown, The Three Investigators, and other "children's" books. Good books are good books, regardless of who they are aimed at.

I think you've hit the nail on the head about good books. Sometimes reading a children's book is like a guilty pleasure but why should this be the case? I really enjoy His Dark Materials. Did anyone manage to see the stage version? I think it was on at the National Theatre in London over Christmas.

Yes.

Well, no.

But yes! What I mean is, when I was Iin London a month prior to Christmas, I saw the pamphlets in the subway-stations. I would have loved to see it, but didn't have the time (or the money).

Anyway, don't exactly know why I decided to share that, but there you go.

Cheers, Martin :D

Maybe I don't have much artistic vision (well actually, I'm sure I don't), but I can't for the life of me see how this trilogy could be adapted for the stage! When I first heard about this, I was amazed. The books are so huge in scope, and to imagine them contained on a tiny stage ... :confused: I think they're on until March, btw.

Only me.... sorry to ressurrect my own thread but am now half way through book three, and I have the following comments to make.

I'm finding it quite difficult to believe that this is actually a book aimed specifically at children, I mean you can read it on so many different levels. I can see why children would like it, but it is also one of the most clever series of books I have read. You have quantum physics, religion, good vs evil, violence etc. Man, he is one hell of a writer.

As well as all of the above, I find his character portrayal wonderful. There are some characters that I absolutely adore and some I hate with a vengeance. Even the minor characters. Can't say anymore in case I ruin it for those who haven't, but intend to read it, but lets just say I am traumatised by recent events.

:)

Exactly right, headpodd. I have the feeling that this trilogy could be read on many different levels. Pullman is playing for some pretty high stakes thematically speaking. If I have one complaint about the trilogy, it is perhaps that Pullman has so much at stake thematically that there really isn't a good way to wrap it up.
By all means, though, read through to the end. I will be interested to read your reaction (provided you post it).

As far as the many different levels it can be read on, reminds me of C.S. Lewis, though haven't read that in ages.

whoops, I just posted about this in the sci-fi/fantasy thread... it's sort of hard to categorize these books, since it's not really your normal sci-fi/fantasy, or children's book. It's sort of a strange (but good) hybred between the two genres, with a dash of mystery and quite a bit more "serious" literature thrown in.

I've heard the reviews of the stage version are great, and expectations are high for the movie version, since the same company that did LotR are doing HDM, set to be released in 2005. I think since the fanbase isn't as large as that of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, the film-makers aren't going to be as confined in what they do just so they can please the fans. That could go two ways... either they'll be able to capture the spirit of the story (like the script of the stage play did, which I read), or they'll completely ruin it. :p Shall have to wait and see...

Hi,
I finished all three about a week ago. I do wonder why, other than the main characters are children, the books are considered childrens books. It might just be the level on which I'm looking at them - the attack on organised religion and the issue of whether she really 'fell' is fascinating.
I am suprised given the way the news goes at the moment, not to mention 'public' opinion that the books are so popular, there seems to have been much less fuss about them than there has been about 'harry potter is evil'

I think there are a couple of factors at work which keep Pullman's trilogy in the "Children's" section. One is that some of his other books are more obviously geared towards a younger audience (I'm thinking of the Sally Lockhart books). Another is that there is something of a tradition for such classifications. C.S. Lewis "Narnia" cycle is also considered "Children's" literature. (And, I am sure that, somewhere, some post-grad Eng. major is working on contrasting the two series.)
Like you, though, I am surprised that there hasn't been more of an uproar from elements of the religious right over the series. In large part, I suspect, it is because Harry is an easier target. They know that "witchcraft" is involved in the Potter series without having to read any of them. The issues raised by Pullman should, I would think, be far more upsetting to that crowd, but he is far more subtle in expressing them. He broaches some very sticky religious issues.
Then again, kids aren't lining up around the block at midnight for the next Phillip Pullman book. That's certainly no knock on Pullman. It's just the way things are. I suppose he is just as happy not to be "on the radar" of the religious right.

uh - oh

the girl really loved these books so i agreed to read them, i was interested cos i'd heard so much about them anyway. I liked the first one the best, i grew into the second one but didn't like the way Lyra's character changed. If i say anything about the third one i'd give the game away.

i have to say that parts of it was ruined for me by Pullmans shameless borrowing from other works of fiction, there were paragraphs in the subtle knife that could have been descriptions of Tolkein's ring, and other bits reminded me of Moorcock - but thats just pedantry.

i read an article by the bishop of canterbury comparing the stage version to the books, and his opinions on the books which made impressive reading. the girl went to see the play - she thought it was amazing and wouldn't stop blithering on about it!

Personally i think this is one of the most engaging childrens books that i have read, i read Lyras oxford recently.... which was nice.

hope i haven't offended the fans, just an honest opinion.

ksky

The first time I read it I liked the first best and wasn't that keen on the last but now I've reread them a couple of years later I can better appreciate the last one and I like it a lot now. Still can't read them much, too depressing.

the Girl

the girl is my fiance, we both worked at a book store together so are always chucking books at each other to read. She accuses me of not reading as many of hers as she's read of mine! her brothers nicknamed her "the girl".

kskyhappy

is it true?

its true that we swap books, as to whose are better... its never come to that. We have similar tastes and have always picked up on what each other are reading, i guess thats why it works! Don't get me started on film choices though.

ksky

is it true

unfortunately yes, i've read far fewer of her recommends as she has of mine, mind you i don't always get chance to recommend the book she reads, i quite often just notice the gap in the book shelves.

ksky

Back