• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Phoenix Rose (novel in progress)

sirmyk

Thought I would share this with all of you. Here's a cover sample for Phoenix Rose, my still-in-progress follow-up novel to Palindrome Hannah. Another beautiful piece by Michael Ian Bateson, huh?

View attachment 1775

Care to share your initial thoughts?

I'm mildly concerned about the bird on the back cover. Is it supposed to be a phoenix? It kindof looks like a dead crow (hopfully this was actually the intent). The cover art is very nice though. Is your book already done?

mehastings said:
I'm mildly concerned about the bird on the back cover. Is it supposed to be a phoenix? It kindof looks like a dead crow (hopfully this was actually the intent).
Dead crow... full intentions. The "phoenix" is the type of rose on the front cover (as well as the name of one of the characters in the book). The "rose" in the title plays dual roles: 1) noun; 2) verb.

The cover art is very nice though. Is your book already done?
About 70% of the first draft is finished. I like to get an early start on things... such as covers. I've had the artwork in my head for about a year now. M.I.B. recently conceived the image.

sirmyk said:
Dead crow... full intentions. The "phoenix" is the type of rose on the front cover (as well as the name of one of the characters in the book). The "rose" in the title plays dual roles: 1) noun; 2) verb.

About 70% of the first draft is finished. I like to get an early start on things... such as covers. I've had the artwork in my head for about a year now. M.I.B. recently conceived the image.

I see. In that case, your cover is great.

I can understand the desire to get started on a cover. Sometimes you just need something to look at to keep you motivated. What are your plans for publication? Are you going to try agents, or stick with self publishing? Do you know how many copies of the first book you've sold?

mehastings said:
I see. In that case, your cover is great.

I can understand the desire to get started on a cover. Sometimes you just need something to look at to keep you motivated. What are your plans for publication? Are you going to try agents, or stick with self publishing? Do you know how many copies of the first book you've sold?
Roughly a thousand copies of Palindrome Hannah have sold. I may try for an agent now that I have a novel behind me, and take Phoenix Rose the traditional route. The cover of PR (which you know as per-rectum in the medical field) is currently my laptop background... gets me writing/motivated.

sirmyk said:
Roughly a thousand copies of Palindrome Hannah have sold. I may try for an agent now that I have a novel behind me, and take Phoenix Rose the traditional route. The cover of PR (which you know as per-rectum in the medical field) is currently my laptop background... gets me writing/motivated.

One thousand? That's really great. My mom actually bought me a copy because I thought for sure it was going to be the October book here. Even if it doesn't win I'll be reading it as soon as I head out to her house and pick it up. I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

mehastings said:
One thousand? That's really great. My mom actually bought me a copy because I thought for sure it was going to be the October book here. Even if it doesn't win I'll be reading it as soon as I head out to her house and pick it up. I'll be sure to let you know what I think.
Thank you. And tell your mom I said 'thank you'.

sirmyk said:
Thank you. And tell your mom I said 'thank you'.

I've already read the other book and passed it onto the same mother. Who read it and has passed it onto my aunt, followed by my cousin. I have no idea where it has gone to and I hate to discuss books I no longer have custody of. I'd much rather get a book, read it and discuss right away when it is fresh. I just hope it isn't too scary for me (not into horror all that much, and yes I am a wuss).

mehastings said:
...seems more in line with the month of October. I just hope it isn't too scary for me (not into horror all that much, and yes I am a wuss).
Phoenix Rose is more on the horror side; Palindrome Hannah is different, and delves little into the horror genre, but enough to mark it so. My mother is queen wuss (think Molly Mormon), and she was able to finish it.

sirmyk said:
Phoenix Rose is more on the horror side; Palindrome Hannah is different, and delves little into the horror genre, but enough to mark it so. My mother is queen wuss (think Molly Mormon), and she was able to finish it.

Awesome, Myk.

I am impressed, and jealous, and excited.

too cool.

Sirmyk, what are you doing bumming around here? get back to finishing that book. Its darn unfair to dangle that intriguing cover before us and expect us to wait patiently :p

The first book on my bookshelf is Misery. My intention wasn't to imply a threat so that you'd scurry back to the computer and finish the novel in record time, but did it work? :D

Gem said:
Sirmyk, what are you doing bumming around here? get back to finishing that book. Its darn unfair to dangle that intriguing cover before us and expect us to wait patiently :p
I am bumming. I am in a slump and it's affecting my writing. I also recently changed careers, so that isn't helping. But now I am 70.001% finished with the first draft. And it is unfair... but fun.

The first book on my bookshelf is Misery. My intention wasn't to imply a threat so that you'd scurry back to the computer and finish the novel in record time, but did it work? :D
It's dark. It's late. I am peeking through mini-blinds at every noise. I am avoiding the urge to drive in the snow (which is quite rare this time of the year in California). I am staring at a blank notepad with a dried-out pen.

only 30% to go, come on man you can do it.

Look at the star filled sky, eat some ice cream, read some online articles about the obscene amounts of money some writers make, it'll remotivate you, if it doesn't then...

It's dark. It's late. I am peeking through mini-blinds at every noise. I am avoiding the urge to drive in the snow (which is quite rare this time of the year in California).

...you keep your eye on them there mini-blinds. :D

Seriously though, you are talented and your creative ideas are great, so make sure you keep up the struggle and get past the slump. And yes I have overdosed on caffeine today hence the the whole psycho-cheerleader thing.

Gem said:
...yes I have overdosed on caffeine today hence the the whole psycho-cheerleader thing.
It's good to have some psycho caffeine-laced cheerleaders around...

During this slump I've been doing some heavy researching, which is getting the juices flowing again.

Sincerely, thank you for the support.

Sincerely, thank you for the support.

no need, we (me & and my various personalities) aim to please.

My alarm clock just went off :mad: time to get ready for work. Have a great day or i guess it's still night out there so that to.

Gem, of course, you would support him. You are one of them split people. Is one of your other names not_sirmyk by any chance?

Back