• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pick One...

-Carlos-

...as your favorite from this list:

• Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Remember, select just one. :)

The Catcher in the Rye. Because at the end, I was thinking, "What the hell was that all about??"

I pick "Fahrenheit 451".

I'm not very fond of "The Catcher in the Rye" or "Animal Farm" and "Lord of the Flies" range between quite nice to so so to me.

451. I like Bradbury. I do WANT to read those of the others I haven't yet, but I have to say I don't like Orwell much.

Cathy C said:
:D I'd buy that book if you'll write it, Novella!

(My vote is for Farenheit 451).

A freebie:

Lord Gatsby the Fly-Catcher Mouse: Book Burning on the Farm

Old Lord Gatsby sat on the veranda in a white linen suit, sipping rye in the quiet of the evening. He was warm and sluggish, but content. He took a small sip of whiskey and then sat very still, until the moment when he snapped his long tongue out at a passing bluebottle fly, snatching the fat black body from the air as it buzzed past his head.

Beyond the shade of the catalpas, out on the bright distant stretch of lawn that unfolded to the gurgling edge of Hedgehog Creek, his servants were building a bonfire, in which they planned to burn an old chiffarobe, a vanity, and a teetering pile of baudy mid-twentieth century novels that had recently piqued the interest of the town Decency Monitor, an officious but extremely well-bred woman named Margot Turbot who smelled faintly of vinegar and invariably wore the same delicate shoes of brown eelskin that her mother had worn before her.

Homeland Security was of paramount importance, as Lord Gatsby knew, so Miss Margot had charged him with rounding up the offending novels from local school children. It was a privileged task he was glad to undertake, and he set about searching children's rooms, overturning their pillows, poking into their small deerskin mocassins and dressinggown pocketses. The books, mostly well-thumbed paperbacks, were now collected, and sat at the edge of the widening circle of flame. Gatsby had decided to turn all the Salingers and Orwells and other detritus into useful ashes to scatter as a light mulch on his overwintering yellow roses. The roses were precious to him, each as dearly loved as the next, though their faded petals had long since fallen to the ground.

Snap. A juicy bluebottle. A sip of rye. The life of a rich and chubby 21st century mouse is a good one, he thought to himself, letting his eyelids droop in the humid heat, the orange-golden sun skidding the brim of his white Panama hat.

It is imperative that I vote for The Catcher in the Rye, because it's the only one I've read out of that list. Most of those are 'soon-to-be-read-by-me's but I reckon I'll still go for good old Holden after that aswell. I love that book.

Novella said: when he snapped his long tongue out at a passing bluebottle fly, snatching the fat black body from the air as it buzzed past his head.

Hahaha :D :p Find an illustrator for this and you've got an award-winning children's novel! Remember, the great authors steal outright!

Cathy C said:
Hahaha :D :p Find an illustrator for this and you've got an award-winning children's novel! Remember, the great authors steal outright!

But it's not for children! It's a screenplay for Merchant-Ivory. They live down the road apiece in a red barn; I'm going to pitch it to them later over a nice merlot. Very atmospheric, very costume-period-piece. Ethan Hawke is committed to the mouse-lord part. Says he'll work free, just to be part of the art.

I'll have to be the first to vote for Of Mice and Men THe ending always makes me cry (are they happy tears are sad? I never know). The others are very good though.

Back