• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pimping's remarkable comeback

joderu95

Pimps and pimping used to be viewed as the punchline of a joke. "You're dressed like a pimp" was certainly not a compliment when I was young. In the last 15 to 20 years though the public perception (or at least amongst a large section of people in their twenties and younger) has turned around 180 degrees. Now it is not only not an embarassment but something to be proud of. Rap culture for teenagers in the U.S. holds sway and this is the primary reason for this comeback. I suppose one could say the perception is specific to each generation, class, culture, personal tastes and other criteria but I am still interested in hearing any thoughts related to this idea.

Has anyone else noticed this change? What are the common perceptions in your own countries? Will it change again or has it even changed at all and I am simply wrong?

I have nothing to offer because your perception is pretty spot-on with mine. I point to the Hip Hop community for making pimps and pimping cool.

Back