• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pink Floyd

SFG75

Rolling Stone yet again has a magnificent write up on the band. The chemistry between the band members and their relationship with Syd Barrett is covered in great detail. I love having a subscription to this publication, it's been definitely worth it.

Oh, agree there SFG. I don't subscribe, but have friends who do. Their write up after Kurt Cobain's death was the best piece of music journalism I've read. What in particular about the PF piece is it that you like? Tell me so I won't have to click and get lost in distracted reading!

Oh, agree there SFG. I don't subscribe, but have friends who do. Their write up after Kurt Cobain's death was the best piece of music journalism I've read. What in particular about the PF piece is it that you like? Tell me so I won't have to click and get lost in distracted reading!

LOL-O.K., I'll save you the necessity of clicking on the hyperlink. The decision to drive Barrett out of the band, was more of a decision by Waters. He knew that they had to make a clean break from him in order to go on from Barrett's chaos. I was unaware of the fact that they did try and keep him on as a songwriter, I guess the Beach Boys tried a similar thing with one of their member.s These guys were pretty political and they had a way of picking a central theme and ultimately come together to write songs around it. The Dark Side of the Moon focused on the more apocalyptic things. War, capitalism, and other ills were brainstormed by teh band and included. I especially enjoyed reading about this part. The Wall was focused on the theme of alienation and the impersonality of life. When the band performed one of their songs from this album in the Live 8 reunion, the lyrics could've easily been relevant to one another!.

I was also unaware of how these disliked one another due to artistic differences, mainly between Gilmour and Waters. The level of animosity was truly something else between these two, who viewed the other as unimportant and themselves as being Pink Floyd. After reading the whole thing, I have to say that I definitely knew more about their song writing priorities, not to mention their unfortunate demise relating to ego.

The discussion of who is the REAL Pink Floyd, who fired who, who was the brains behind the outfit etc has pretty much been ongoing since 1968 and especially since Waters left/dissolved the group in 1982 (and unsuccessfully sued to stop the others from using the Floyd name). Gilmour is on record as calling Waters a psychopath, if memory serves, and he also likened the one-off Live 8 reunion to sleeping with his ex-wife. In one interview I read a few years ago, keyboardist Rick Wright claimed he was still in therapy to deal with all the conflicts within the band (specifically his being sacked during the recording of The Wall; he played on the tour as a hired session musician - not a bad idea in retrospect since the tour actually LOST money...)

Fun fact: the last time Floyd toured (in... what, 92, 93?) Waters supposedly tried to sue to stop them. They had the rights to the songs, but they did NOT have the rights to the famous flying pig that's supposed to soar over the crowd. So Gilmour simply had a new pig made - of the opposite sex to the old pig. If you look at the Pulse live DVD from that tour and wait for the end of the credits, there's a line that says "Original pig concept: R. Waters". That's as much of credit as Gilmour is willing to give him.

Personally I think Waters' solo albums are at least as good as the two rather tepid studio albums Floyd have put out since 82. At this point, they haven't released an album in almost 15 years and I think the only thing stopping them from officially calling it quits is that Gilmour doesn't want Waters to be able to tour under the name...

Going to see Roger Waters perform Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety in a few weeks. It's not going to be quite the same thing, but as close as you get these days I guess.

LOL-The pig thing was mentioned as well in the article.:D I never knew how they picked their name, interesting blending of two guys they respected.

Thanks, guys. I didn't know any of that. I love the mental picture of the session keyboardist still in therapy! Can you imagine the glaze-over on his therapist's face every week? :eek:

Back