• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Plagiarism : Even a federal judge agrees with me

manuscriptx

I believe it was no conincidence yesterday I got an opportunity to see on the C-Span networks a discussion about plagiarism. On C-Span's Book TV series, a discussion at The Chicago Humanitites Festival March 13th 2007.

Among the speakers was US. Federal Appellate Court Judge Richard Posner, author of, The Little Book Of Plagiarism they talked about something called fair use privilege and to my delight, they gave validation to my arguments over literary frauds like James Frey and Kaavya Viswanathan. The Harvard U. student given a $500,000 advance to write a book, sell the rights to a movie deal based on stories later outed as fake and stolen from another author.

Other people mentioned were Doris Kearns Goodwin and US. Senator Joe Biden.

The federal judge at the event said that plagiarism is a serious thing and that it will in some way create " a stifling of creativity ". Deliberate unacknowledged copying from true origins, copyright notwithstanding.

So there you have it people. I am right on this issue.

Having said all that, if/when published, depending on each circumstance, I doubt I'll be looking to sue people just for the sake of doing so. As was said at that event, people look for their own creative nitch by taking something and either improving on or analyzing for another discussion.

However there is a difference between that and outright passing it off as one's own work.

Eh? Of course plagiarisation is serious. Your argument is a bit rambling, and I'm not sure what you're talking about though, so I'll just say these at the moment:

1. Why is this in the Writer's Showcase?

2. I hope you meant to say niche.

MS, I'm with tartan skirt. Not sure what you're referring to. It would be best to continue such a 'continuation' of whatever you're referring to on the thread where it was originally discussed. Nobody can just guess what you said somewhere else some time ago.

Also, these cases were discussed at length on individual threads months ago, particularly Frey, Kearns Goodwin, and also Stephen Ambrose.

beergood, he called Frey a literary fraud, which I think is pretty accurate.

beergood, he called Frey a literary fraud, which I think is pretty accurate.

nov ella, well, that's debatable. But the case in question was about plagiarism, not presenting fiction as fact. So I just asked at which point anyone ever accused Frey of plagiarism, or if he's just randomly including people he doesn't like in threads about other people he doesn't like.

Oh well. No big deal.

I agree with tartan skirt. And manuscriptx...don't kick the James Frey horse, please. It's dead, buried, and rotting underground. And you're really disturbing the maggots.

-------

The only 'maggots' I seem to be disturbing are the ones who
responded to this thread. So in that case, I think it is a good thing.

Just thought everyone would like to know that my novel, Harrypotterx and the Golden Nitch, will be hitting the bookstores soon. See how Harry and his friends, James Frey and Hermione Viswanathan, foil the plans of the evil Professor Maggot in his diabolical plot to extort a $500,000 advance to write a book, sell the rights to a movie deal based on stories later outed as fake and stolen from another author.

Having said all that, when published, depending on each circumstance, I suppose people will be suing me just for the sake of doing so. As was said on some forum, people look for their own creative nitch by taking something and either improving on or analyzing for another discussion. Others look for nitches between the cushions of old sofas.

However there is a difference between that and outright passing it off as one's own work. But this is, of course, not necessary, even if you have no talent, or ability to use proper spelling, grammar or punctuation. You can post any old crap you want.

JohnB

I believe it was no conincidence yesterday I got an opportunity to see on the C-Span networks a discussion about plagiarism. On C-Span's Book TV series, a discussion at The Chicago Humanitites Festival March 13th 2007.

Among the speakers was US. Federal Appellate Court Judge Richard Posner, author of, The Little Book Of Plagiarism they talked about something called fair use privilege and to my delight, they gave validation to my arguments over literary frauds like James Frey and Kaavya Viswanathan. The Harvard U. student given a $500,000 advance to write a book, sell the rights to a movie deal based on stories later outed as fake and stolen from another author.

Other people mentioned were Doris Kearns Goodwin and US. Senator Joe Biden.

The federal judge at the event said that plagiarism is a serious thing and that it will in some way create " a stifling of creativity ". Deliberate unacknowledged copying from true origins, copyright notwithstanding.

So there you have it people. I am right on this issue.

Having said all that, if/when published, depending on each circumstance, I doubt I'll be looking to sue people just for the sake of doing so. As was said at that event, people look for their own creative nitch by taking something and either improving on or analyzing for another discussion.

However there is a difference between that and outright passing it off as one's own work.

Subtle. Ever so subtle.

Oh, no wonder that post was well written, though completely without context. What an asshole.

Thank you, Stewart.

Just thought everyone would like to know that my novel, Harrypotterx and the Golden Nitch, will be hitting the bookstores soon. See how Harry and his friends, James Frey and Hermione Viswanathan, foil the plans of the evil Professor Maggot in his diabolical plot to extort a $500,000 advance to write a book, sell the rights to a movie deal based on stories later outed as fake and stolen from another author.

Having said all that, when published, depending on each circumstance, I suppose people will be suing me just for the sake of doing so. As was said on some forum, people look for their own creative nitch by taking something and either improving on or analyzing for another discussion. Others look for nitches between the cushions of old sofas.

However there is a difference between that and outright passing it off as one's own work. But this is, of course, not necessary, even if you have no talent, or ability to use proper spelling, grammar or punctuation. You can post any old crap you want.

JohnB
LOL. You have my undying loyalty as a fan, WriterJohnB. Glad to see someone liked my maggots at any rate.

I knew it! I knew it! I've been plagiarized by Valkyrieraven88. She used my posting above in its exact entirety. IT'S ALMOST LIKE SHE CUT AND PASTED IT INTO HER OWN POST! Plagiarism at its worst. I KNEW I should have trademarked my unique word "nitch," so that no one could rip it off after I ripped it off (ahem. Forget that last part.)

Lawsuits will soon be emanating and expostulating (or is that pustulating?)

Hasn't anyone else caught on that Stewart plagiarized Mx? Blatantly! I'm going to include him in a no-class action suit along with all you other maggots that saw fit to respond to this thread.

Oh, frabjous day, I haven't been called a maggot since basic training. (By the way, the phrase, "frabjous day," is my original language, having nothing to do with Lewis Carroll)

JohnB

Oh, I caught on. Laughed my head off, too...

I hope you can learn to forgive me for plagiarizing you, John. I promise I'll never do it again. *makes puppy dog eyes*

I had actually never been called a maggot before. You see, I prefer the term "fly larvae." I feel it's more politically correct. I mean, how would you like being called an offensive term like that? I should really get the NAACP down here. Or something. I think I'll start my own organization to face this outrage. Who's with me? FLIES OF THE WORLD UNITE!

(Frabjous day. Hee hee.)

I don't want to be Lord of the Flies. I watched that movie last night, by coincidence, and they butchered it, rendering it devoid of William Golding's social commentary.

JohnB

Back