• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please Help Me Choose Some Periodicals

Halcyon

I want to train myself for standardized exam verbal sections. Originally, I thought reading 100 fiction novels in 2005 would be more than enough, but in a post I made recently, How good is your reading , I got some feedback that tells me I might be on the wrong track. I’m going to continue with my 100 novels this year, but also add 2, 1-year magazine subscriptions.

I’m looking for a magazine aimed at mature readers. It should have the follow characteristics:

1. No technical jargon
2. Various Topics (ideally fiction and non-fiction)
3. Strong vocabulary
4. lot of articles​

Newspapers don’t work for me because half the time I don’t get them and the other half I get them soggy. Thank you for any recomendation.

National Geographic comes to my mind. All non-fiction, though, but I find it very interesting. You might try perusing the periodicals listing on Amazon, they have lots of descriptions. Find a magazine about something you are interested in. If you have no idea nor the desire to play the guitar, then Acoustic Guitar World would probably be a waste of time and money for you.

National Geographic and Readers' Digest are coming to a mail box near me. Before you know... I'll know how to read :cool:

edit: opps, forgot to say thanks... thanks!

If I may make a suggestion, Halcyon, drop by your local library or bookstore (that allows reading on-site) and pick up a copy of the GED Study Manual (don't buy it unless you feel that you need to study it). The "General Education Diploma" verbal section is nearly a mirror image to the college entrance exams (because that's the purpose of it!)

You might also want to add at least one book of poetry to your list -- one that contains different types and styles of poetry -- because some of your comprehension skills will be related to imagery, or the ability to paint a picture with words. You can ask a bookstore clerk to suggest one and then pick it up at the library. :)

Cathy C said:
The "General Education Diploma" verbal section is nearly a mirror image to the college entrance exams (because that's the purpose of it!)

I already spent 4 years in college. I have no intenion of going back! :D I think you mean the GRE from my other post. That is for graduate school, not admission for undergraduates.

Popular Science is one I've been enjoying recently, if you have any interest in the subject matter. Scientific American is good, too, but expensive.

One of the weekly news magazines would be good, too. Time, Newsweek, etc.

Check out Boston Review - good writing, covers both literary and political topics. Both ficition and non-fiction.

I also second Ashlea's recommendation of Scientific American.

While I enjoy a quick look at Reader's Digest in the doctor's waiting room, I don't think it has the depth and writing you're looking for.

The New Yorker might be good for you too -- a mix of current events and culture, a few poems, and at least one fiction piece per issue.

Back