• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please help set me in the right direction

Shevil

I want to find another book to read but I have no idea how to find one I know I would like. I did a search on books similar to twilight (which I loved) I'm sure some are good, but they are mostly about vampires and werewolves aimed at teen girls(I'm 23). I want something that has adventure, maybe fantasy, romance, passion(I do love those heated scenes), something exciting and very well written that keeps you hooked in, not really using the same old adjectives and phrases (which I found in Stephenie Meyers books). I went to barnes and Noble the other day and mulled thru some books that mostly attracted me because of the pretty cover lol. But there are soo many! It's like going to a big movie store and trying to find something good when you've only seen two movies in your life! (The only other books I really read were some of the Wheel of Time series.) I was so overwhelmed I went home empty handed.. lol. I'm looking for some real indepth insight to books that really match my personality. Could you guys help me out? Thanks a lot!

For vampires, I suppose there's Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, starting with Interview With The Vampire. For something a bit more adult - and sexual - there's Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls.

Fantasy (the sword and sorcery quest stuff) I haven't a clue on, so I'll skip on suggestions there.

I wonder if Patrick McGrath's Dr Haggard's Disease, which I'm absolutely delighted to see isn't out of print in North America, would interest you.

I am familier with Anne Rice, I looked into her books but it was also more directed at teens so it didn't pull me. I just looked up Lost Souls, it seems quite dark and bloody, and strange so I am a little hesitant toward that. It doesn't really have to involve vampires. I do enjoy Lord of the Rings type things too.

Sweetie,

There are 150,000 to 200,000 new book titles published each year, and sometimes it seems that 149,000 of them are paranormal romance books with lots of adventure. In other words, we need more information then two extremely popular series, in different genres, one of which you liked with reservations, and the other which you didn't like enough to comment on.

The absolute quickest way to find well-written and popular books is to concentrate on the award-winning books. (I was going to give you some website links, but I keep getting sidetracked by "I didn't know she had another book in that series!" and "Wow! Anthology. Two of my favorite authors!")

Your local library should have most of the award-winning books from about five years ago (newer ones will be checked out by someone else; older ones will have been worn out and discarded.)

Make a list of about thirty to fifty books, including recommended books, award-winning books, and any book that looks remotely interesting to you. If your library has an on-line website, you can narrow the list down to books that are actually at your library branch waiting to be checked out. Get the library location information if you can (hardback, paperback, large print, audio, fiction, sci-fi, romance, young adult, adult, etc.). Sort the list and print it out.

Spend a few hours at the library finding the books and trying to read the first 5 pages of each novel. If you find that you are skipping paragraphs or forcing yourself to read or suddenly remembering some chore that you have been avoiding, then you are not interested in that book. Return that book to the re-shelving area and no harm done. If you like the book and want to read more, check it out of the library.

If you will reply back to this thread with at least five books that seemed the most interesting to you, we can be much more accurate in out book recommendations. Or just tell you what the books have in common so that you can find new books easier. You just really didn't give us enough information about which books that you liked.

you should try laurell k hamilton, she write the anita blake series 15 books about vampires lycanthropes vampire hunters etc, has sex. theres quite a few series, you should try looking up one of the anita blake books on amazon, people will have lists of similar books.
hope this helps.

the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs is really good. It has Werewolves and Vampires along with other creatures. Light romance in the first ones. They are some of my favorites, i like them even more than the twilight series.

Back