1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please suggest some good children's/teen fantasy

Discussion in 'Book Search & Suggestions' started by HermioneWeasley, Jun 16, 2008.

1. HermioneWeasley

HermioneWeasley Member

Currently Reading:
    Olympe de Cleves - Dumas
    So, I recently went to see Prince Caspian(Narnia) and remembered my childhood days of voraciously reading fantasy. Any suggestios for good children's/teen fantasy? things like Narnia, Harry Potter, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, his Dark Materials...basically, great fantasy that is somehow related to our own world(well, it doesn't have to be, but if it is, I usually like it...)

2. Lady Reader

Lady Reader New Member

I've been reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. It's written by Rick Riordan, who made his living prior to this series writing about Greek mythology. Rick has managed to incorporate a great many Greek myths into his books. It's about teenagers (12-14) who are half-bloods - one mortal parent, one parent who is a Greek god. I think it's smartly written and even this 30-year-old gets into the story.

3. goatgoatgoat

goatgoatgoat New Member

Currently Reading:
    a lot of books

I loved these books but that could be because I have always been intersted in Greek mythology. Definitly a must read:D!

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh New Member

Currently Reading:
    Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en
    Have you tried Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy?
    I thought that was pretty good. Then I tried The Keys To The Kingdom series by Nix. It was o.k. I like the Abhorsen better.

One of the very first fantasies I've read and enjoyed was called the Changeling by Roger Zelazny. I remember it had lots of magic and centaurs.

5. HermioneWeasley

HermioneWeasley Member

Currently Reading:
    Olympe de Cleves - Dumas
    Yes, I've read the Abhorsen trilogy...haven't read Roger Zelazny, though.

6. NotTheDoctor

NotTheDoctor Member

Currently Reading:
    The Makioka Sisters, by Junichiro Tanizaki
    Check out the Tales of the Otori series, by Lian Hearn. The story takes place in a fictional world that was obviously based on feudal Japan.

Also, the Chrestomanci series and Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones.

:)

7. joderu95

joderu95 New Member

Kids today think feudal Japan is a game show where you try to guess poll results.

8. HermioneWeasley

HermioneWeasley Member

Currently Reading:
    Olympe de Cleves - Dumas
    I think I've already read the Otori series...and the Chrestomanci series. And no, I don't think feudal Japan is a game show.

9. 80Lady

80Lady New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Candy Shop War
    Teen/Children's Fantasy is such a guilty pleasure for me (who is not a teen). So I have a few recommendations.

The Alchemyst (The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott(He also has a 2nd book out in this series, but I haven't read it yet, I am sure it will be good though)

The Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull (Fablehaven, Rise of the Evening Star, Grip of the Shadow Plague) Absolutely wonderful books.

Leven Thumps Series by Obert Skye

I also recommend the Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan like someone else suggested. If you actually go to Rick Riordan's website there is another book that looks pretty fun called The 39 Clues that will be coming out Sept. 2008.

Those are my favorites thus far.

10. kelsue

kelsue New Member

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K Le Guin is excellent! I first read these books when I was in 8th grade and loved them. And, they have stood the test of time, I often get them out and reread them.

Bk 1 The Wizard of Earthsea
    Bk 2 The Tombs of Atuan
    Bk 3 The Farthest Shore

11. agoodw1

agoodw1 New Member

I loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy, thanks to the demons clever humor. Depending how young the reader is, Charlie Bones is children's fantasy as well.

12. Sliver Slave

Sliver Slave New Member

Currently Reading:
    Last And First Men
    the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart were fairly interesting.

13. airisof2000

airisof2000 New Member

these are amazing books amen!!!

14. airisof2000

airisof2000 New Member

vampirates (demons of the ocean, tide of terror, blood captain) phenomenal books justin somper is just an awesome writer...im new here and cant give url for website unless i have 15 posts...............