• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Plot points you can't stomach?

Ashlea

A couple recent posts made me think of this topic:

Are there any types of activities in books you don't want to read about?

For me, it's a rape scene. If I know there's one in the book, I won't read it. Tend to avoid movies that are that way, too.

There's also a movie I saw a few years ago where a character removed his own teeth. Not rewatching that one either. And no way am I watching Silence of the Lambs.

Just have too sensitive of an imagination, I guess.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I hate in novels where alot of people die, and some miracle brings them back. It just ruins the story for me.

While I agree with you in 99% of the cases, I'm OK with Gandalf coming back in LOTR. :D

I thought about that myself, but in LOTR it sorta made sence. But, for example, in some books I've read, An entire village dies, somebody casts a spell and they come back.

The only other case where it worked was in the Princess Bride, and even that was stretching it.

I don't like to read about sex. I understand it is necessary in some stories, but I've never understood why some authors will destroy a perfectly good story by slowing it down with play by play action :rolleyes:

I used to be a bit sickened by descriptions of homosexual sex but I've read so much of it now that I think I've developed an immunity.

When it comes to movies I can be a bit squeamish when it comes to needles and vaginal mutilation. But I don't think there's nothing I won't read or see because of activities of this kind. In fact I very much like the movies "The Isle" (Seom) and "La Pianiste" which contain the latter activity.

The only things that really bother me are very graphic details of murder and mutilation - descriptive sex doesn't bother me at all.

I will not read a book with a rape scene or any sexual assault...it just sickens me.

Books with people killing others for fun I avoid as well (I do not read horror).

There's nothing that won't stop me reading a book.... why hide yourself from this stuff - it happens you know.

Why are you trying to avoid by blocking these things out?

Yaw Ince said:
There's nothing that won't stop me reading a book.... why hide yourself from this stuff - it happens you know.

Why are you trying to avoid by blocking these things out?

I know it happens, but I read to escape the world, not to endure its evils. And rape probably isn't as sickening to you, because you're not a female. Yes, men can be raped as well, but woman are usually the victims. The thought of violence towards people sickens me...therefore, I don't read it.

VTChEwbecca said:
And rape probably isn't as sickening to you, because you're not a female. .

I REALLY don't like or agree with that sentence and in fact find it slightly offencive. How can you say? I am a male and I am sure I find rape as abhorrent and sickening as you do.

VTChEwbecca said:
I will not read a book with a rape scene or any sexual assault...it just sickens me.
but how do you mean, you read and if you find a rape scene you skip it, or you ask if a book contains a rape scene before buying it? :confused:

I can't really think of any plot point that will make me stop reading a book, if the book is well written, and has an entertaining storyline. :D

Nothing really stops me.....

And I'm not sure of the logic above that just because something occurs in the world it is necessary to experience it if you have the chance.

Good question. I don't like to read long, drawn-out everything is bad and getting worse, no hope in sight endless suffering of characters I like. I love George R. R. Martin... but I still haven't gotten through book 2 because of how everything keeps going from bad to worse. I hate that! I do intend to finish but it would be nice to have a little hope now and then that doesn't get immediately snuffed. Reminds me too much of my childhood. ;)

~Witch

Tragedy in books is kind of realistic, so I really like it. In most books, a protagismist stands above everybody, defeated armies alone. In a Salvatore book called "Transcendance" (Which I loved) Brynn, the Togai leader finds an ancient dragin, crushes the enemy army, and even with a Giant Arrow sticking through it's side, it survives. that's the kind of stuff I hate.

The dragon should've died, common, feel some losses! I may have exaggerated my point, but all I'm saying is that most books revolve around 1 person that ends up doing impossible things. Yes, I know how weird this sounds coming from a fnatsy reader, but I like "Realistic Fantasy"....

Ice said:
The only things that really bother me are very graphic details of murder and mutilation - descriptive sex doesn't bother me at all.

that could be me!! Sex is all day life, but okay!! mostly i don't even have problems with murder scenes, as long as they make sense, i try to explain that, otherwise you think i'm crazy!! :cool:
so I' mean if a history is behind the homicide, like mother had an affair and husband trys to kill her, not nice, but nothing to make me sick. The movie scream is something else, i saw it when i was young, so i think it was a shock, but this senseless murder finds it's way to my stomach in less than a second!!!

Wolhay said:
I used to be a bit sickened by descriptions of homosexual sex but I've read so much of it now that I think I've developed an immunity.
Good grief... are you following a series you like that has this? I didn't think it was common, is it, descriptions of homosexual sex?

I'd like to think I don't mind reading anything. I get lots of free ebooks thru promotions, and have downloaded lots of stuff I wouldn't pick up with my money. :D :D One recent book I picked up online thru such a promotion had guy-guy sex scenes. Found that I wasn't so keen on this book after all. :)

ds

direstraits said:
Good grief... are you following a series you like that has this? I didn't think it was common, is it, descriptions of homosexual sex?
It's not uncommon in the genres that I read. Two of the most recent books I read was for example:

"The Rules of Attraction" by Bret Easton Ellis which for the most part is about bi and homosexual college students.

"Sarah" by JT LeRoy which is about a young boy whose mother used to dress him up like a girl since things are easier for pretty girls. Now he's dressing himself like a girl and trying a career as a lot lizard (truck stop prostitute) like his mother. He's very eager to advance in the profession and wants to be the most famous lizard ever and gain everyone's respect.

Back