• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Politics Primer

I haven't read the Haslam book but it sounds like it only present the realist perspective. I wonder if it also presents alternative viewpoints to get a balance or maybe it's just a reader on the development of realism. Did you flick through it in a bookshop? I'd be interested to hear what you thought if you did.

Thanks for the continued recommendations!

Victorian said:
Why won't you read biased works? That's like saying the middle road is the best one; it makes little sense. Anyway, if you can handle the biases of George Orwell, you can handle Noam Chomsky. Read Hegemony or Survival; it has some nice historical tidbits.
Actually, I hadn't thought of it that way. By non-biased work I guess you mean the Heywood text, and I read that because I know *nuts* about politics. I'm a politics newbie, don't hurt meeee....! :D I will check out Chomsky, as you suggested. Thanks!

Slacker and clueless - thanks for your suggestions, I will check them out.

I actually read 1984 much much earlier than I did Animal Farm. I was a little too young to appreciate the political undercurrent of the novel then, but I remember what happens in the book very clearly. Upon reflection, that book was harrowing, and it was the first book I've read that left me feeling damn weird after finishing it.

There's a graphic novel that is clearly influenced by 1984, and it's by the acclaimed writer Alan Moore. It's called V for Vendetta, and the movie version is coming soon. As Alan Moore has disassociated himself from the movie, don't see the movie to get a representation of his work - read the graphic novel instead.

Oh, V for Vendetta is set in near future England when the country is under a dystopian Big Brother-like government, and how an anarchist comes along to wake everyone up. Very Guy Fawkes. Not in the league of 1984, but smartly written.

ds

Clara said:
I haven't read the Haslam book but it sounds like it only present the realist perspective. I wonder if it also presents alternative viewpoints to get a balance or maybe it's just a reader on the development of realism. Did you flick through it in a bookshop? I'd be interested to hear what you thought if you did.
No, I didn’t. I bought it on the internet, but according to the reviews it deals mainly on the history of realist thought, although it also touches on other political currents opposed to realism in each period.

I ‘d like to say I’ll be able to tell you a bit more soon, but I have a pile of books to read at the moment, so it could be some time before I get to that one

No worries Clueless, I'm in the same situation with loads of books. I hope it's a good read when you get to it.

direstraits said:
Thanks for the continued recommendations!

Actually, I hadn't thought of it that way. By non-biased work I guess you mean the Heywood text, and I read that because I know *nuts* about politics. I'm a politics newbie, don't hurt meeee....! :D I will check out Chomsky, as you suggested. Thanks!

ds

Yup, maybe see Media Control before going into HorS. It's shorter and you can read it in a snap. Then, you must tell me what you think!! ;)

“No Virtue Like Necessity: Realist Thought in International Relations Since Machiavelli" <-- That sounds intriguing.

I'm both adding to this thread and bumping it for a similar query.

Anyhoo, this site The Political Compass has a very fascinating quiz that throws off the old "Left-right" paradigm for an x/y grid instead.

But in addition to that, they provide a great book list for each of the four quadrants of political thought they have defined.

So if you wanna read things that are antithetical or sympathetic to your own preformed judgements, you can find good suggestions there.

HTH.

The website you gave looks very interesting Slacker... I will take a closer look at it. Cheers from a politics newbie!

ds

Back