• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pope Rises from Dead and Eats Bowl of Spaghetti

Status
Not open for further replies.
novella said:
Well, . . . he was Time Magazine's Man of the Year . . . and he did have a very large discretionary budget . . . .and he did have one of those red phones like Commissioner Gordon, straight to the Big Guy not the Bat Cave . . .

kidding . . . :eek:

Well...if he had a red phone I guess it is ok afterall.
:D

We have some things in our country that have walls around them. Some of them provide many of their own services, most have their own forms of police, and they all have their own forms of money depending on how you look at it. Many have populations that are larger than "The Holy See", and cover larger areas of ground. They have their own economic system for survival, and provide society with a much needed service.

They are called prisons. Not countries.

Unless you are a gameshow host waving insane amounts of money in my face I will continue to refuse to acknowledge Vatican City as a "real" country.

As I said before, and regardless of my knowledge of history, not in my little world.

Martin
Senior Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella on Catholicism
[It is] an organization that has explicit goals of subjugating women as the lesser sex, preventing access to birth control, condemning homosexuality as a sin, that systematically harbors and protects pedophiles and denies the validity of evolutionary science.

Sergo - read above post. If that's not religious in nature, I do not know what is. I am agnostic, so it is absolutely no problem for me, but someone who happens to be catholic might be offended by Novella's opinion. Most won't, but some will, and we want to prevent that from happening. If even one person disagrees to such an extent that he/she feels forced to leave, we'll have failed as moderators.__________________

Dear Martin:

I may be wrong, but what Novella says - is NOT discussing of PURELY RELIGIONAL aspects. These are aspects of everyday life, affected by some or other people of religion. If we decide to shut that out completely of discussions - it would do good to no one, as, for example, these "holy pedophiles" would not vanish into thin air, but will continue with their liking.

As to somebody failing at moderating... Please refer to above message of some Polish guy, who got offended by a photo of the Pope during some unusual activity. It is absolutely impossible to block everything that could be possibly offensive to someone and still have a living forum.
And I would imagine that a forum fails when it gets down to jokes, exclamations and nothing else. It is OK to have fun, but it is not bad when a person gets some information about other people, whom otherwise one may never see or never have a chance to speak to. For example, I like it to know attitudes of Novella or Motokid. I had always thought that should be unusual in the USA, but now I know better. I owe it to this forum.

By the way, I liked that analogy too. Quite lively, and, errr... original...

But that cannot change reality. It even would not change it if all Americans thought exactly the same.

Sorry, that's how life is.

I may be wrong, but what Novella says - is NOT discussing of PURELY RELIGIONAL aspects. These are aspects of everyday life, affected by some or other people of religion. If we decide to shut that out completely of discussions - it would do good to no one, as, for example, these "holy pedophiles" would not vanish into thin air, but will continue with their liking.
Yes, and if we decide to have an elaborate discussion about all that is wrong with Catholocism, chasing numerous people away from the boards, these pedophiles will still be having their way.

So let's not, shall we? Besides, it's not just a question of (my) personal taste, it's in the rules. If in doubt, check article 3.9 of the Membership Agreement.

And you cannot, with a straight face, claim that the post I quoted in my previous post wasn't religious in nature.

And I would imagine that a forum fails when it gets down to jokes, exclamations and nothing else.
True - that's why we also discuss book here. Hence the name; The Bookforum.

Please, I'm asking. Don't.

Cheers

We've received complaints, so we're closing this off - it could b regarded as tasteless and offensive to joke about someone (anyone - whether the Pope or John Doe) just a week after his death.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back