• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Post Ebay Listings?

I'd never seen anyone do it, so I looked it up for you. It is actually against the membership agreement.

3.4 Commercial advertising in posts is not allowed. The definition of commercial advertising includes, but is not limited to, links to online auction sites, as well as direct links to your online store. Links which include store affiliate code are not allowed. Messages and posts which are blatantly posted only to advertise your product or service will be edited and may lead to a ban from the forums.

How does that rule interpret to posting to items on eBay whereby the poster is not advertising but, instead, drawing attention to something?

Stewart said:
How does that rule interpret to posting to items on eBay whereby the poster is not advertising but, instead, drawing attention to something?

Good question. I wonder if it is similar to that thread a while back about the funny amazon.com reviews.

Stewart said:
Here's my guess... I would say it depends on whether you're personally gaining from drawing attention to it. In the case of the Amazon.com reviews, they were book related and amusing. It was clear that no one was gaining from such a post. There was also a thread about that ridiculous Amazon offer of the entire Penguin classics collection for $8 000. Once again, it was interesting and no one was gaining.

If you were mentioning an eBay site in reference to an ongoing topic, for example a discussion of rare books or someone was looking for something in particular, that may pass the mods by if you were obviously not gaining from it, but if it was a member's first post... it might be a different issue. Starting a topic about an eBay item may be touchy, though. I guess it's at the discretion of the mods to interpret whether you are personally gaining from such a post or whether it is for the general enjoyment of the forum (as with the Amazon posts previously). Personally, I wouldn't list the site and would just get the member to PM you if they were interested, because the MA expressly says no eBay links.

But that's just my opinion :rolleyes: . Isn't it nice to have a discussion about this before the sh!t hits the fan? :)

What does "Links which include store affiliate code are not allowed." mean?

Kookamoor said:
What does "Links which include store affiliate code are not allowed." mean?

There are a lot of websites out there that have affiliate programs. They pay you for bringing traffic into their sites. There are two types. The first gives you a certain amount for each person who clicks onto their site, regardless of how much money they spend. The other type gives you a percentage of every dollar spent as a result of someone following your link. Banner ads are an example of affiliate programs.

mehastings said:
There are a lot of websites out there that have affiliate programs. They pay you for bringing traffic into their sites. There are two types. The first gives you a certain amount for each person who clicks onto their site, regardless of how much money they spend. The other type gives you a percentage of every dollar spent as a result of someone following your link. Banner ads are an example of affiliate programs.
Ah! Thanks! :)

Thinking back...there was the Olympian Pen post (parts I & II). I guess I'm with Kookamoor on this one, it must be up to mod/Darren disgretion.

Back