• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

*Prepares Barrier* It is known JK Rowling got the idea of HP from a comic!

Drizzt Do'Urden

She denied it for years and years, but in the end she gave the Comic Company 2.5 mill. and told them to keep it quiet. That's the truth.

How do you know that? Where did you hear/read it? I think whoever said that had better hire themselves a very good lawyer... ;)

Sounds pretty unsubstaniated to me. Plus, at least in the states, a settlement is the cheapest way out of a long, painful, and time consuming lawsuit, even if you're not in the wrong.

well, I first heard of it from a Comic Store owner while I was in Jasper, Alberta, but I decided to investigate it further, and it seems it is true. They say she never got the entire story from this comic, but the Harry Character is said to be a duplication

Well, can you offer some kind of proof for this? What comic? Who was it published by and when? What parts did you supposedly steal? Why haven't they sued her? :)

Ok, I did some investigating and heres what I found.

"Accusations of plagiarism
Rowling was sued by Nancy Stouffer, writer of The Legend of Rah and the Muggles. Published in 1984, the book featured a protagonist named Larry Potter, and also included such characters as Lilly Potter, Larry's cousin. Stouffer alleged copyright infringement, but U.S. District Judge Allen G. Schwartz rejected Nancy Stouffer's claims that she was plagiarized and fined Stouffer $50,000 for "submission of fraudulent documents" and "untruthful testimony." Stouffer was also required to pay a portion of the attorney's fees incurred by Rowling, her U.S. publisher Scholastic Press, and Warner Bros. Films. Comic book fans have noted that a comic book series first published in 1990 by DC Comics called The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman shares many similarities to Rowling's book. These include a dark haired young boy with glasses named Tim Hunter who discovers his own potential as the most powerful wizard of his age after being approached by magic wielding individuals, the first of whom gifts him with a pet owl. Rowling officially denies being aware of this series, and Gaiman has gone on record stating that he believes similarities to be either coincidence or drawn from the same fantasy archetypes."

-http://www.iridis.com/glivar/Harry_Potter

It may be rumors, but I think its just a little more then coincedence eh?

Doesn't seem anything to the claims at all :)

I have read the books of magic by Gaiman. Yes, it contains a boy that has magic powers. So what? That and about a million other comic books and novels. How many books/comics have been published that have a kid with magic powers? It's got to be in the MILLIONS. It doesn't mean to say she stole it does it? Anyway, as I mentioned, I have read the books of magic and about the only thing it has in common with Harry Potter is that a boy has magic powers.

As for the woman with the book. It got thrown out of court and she actually had to pay for making a false and unfounded claim.

Since Gaiman has been a supporter of the Harry Potter books, obviously he isn't all broken up about it. The more you read, the more you discover that there are only so many ideas out there, the important thing is to have an original voice and combine things in a new way.

So many great artists have been accused of plagarism. It's best to look into the facts before you make up your mind.

Like Wabbit, I've read the Books of Magic. Until this was mentioned, I didn't even realize there was a resemblance (typical of me - wouldn't have realized it even if it slapped me in the face). :)

I believe Gaiman put it best - coincidence or just drawn from cliches. Yeah, there's an owl, but i believe Gaiman's owl is pretty dumb compared to Hedwig. And the magicians who paid Tim Hunter a visit were waaaaay cooler than those in Hogwarts. :)

ds

The point in the article I put there is the one about Larry Potter, and his cousin Lilly etc. That is a little too coincedential, no?

Not really.

It's a huge world. I think there are, what, 9 billion people on this planet? Now consider how many books are written. Now consider how many words and permutations there are. Yes, it's a coincidence. It's only one small thing. You can take any two books at random and you could probably find something similar in them. If there 50 things the same and the plot was the same then yes maybe you would have a point. But it's not.

(I think it's closer to 7 billion)

But honestly, have you ever read these Larry Potter books. Its like a cross between Series of Unfourtuneate events and Harry Potter!

Back