• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Prettiest" writers??

pringlewheels

I am very taken with Mervyn Peake, and really enjoy that very colourful style of writing.. Just how he conducts his word orchestra, nevermind anything deeper or the bigger picture for now

Anyone suggest other writers of this type??

I like Janet Fitch. In White Oleander she drew a perfect picture of the characters, situations and places.

I remember reading Milton's Paradise Lost and being blown away by the imagery. A couple of years later I saw The Fellowship of the Ring and was strongly reminded of my experience reading Milton.

Salman Rushdie is also really wonderful with his descriptions. His writing in general is just amazing. Try The Satanic Verses.

Chine Mieville wants to be Mervyn Peake

From the expert on both Mieville and Peake.... :)

Very few writers I have come across have the prose of someone like Peake, but Thomas Wolfe is someone who comes to mind.

my 10th grade english teacher absolutely loved fitzgerlad's writing in The Great Gatsby. i can understand what she meant though.. that type of descriptive writing isnt really my cup of tea tho - i get lost =P

I find Dickens rather pretty. There were certainly some very nice passages in Anna Karenina. I've also found some nice language in The Brothers Karamazov as I read along.

Mafalda said:
I like Janet Fitch. In White Oleander she drew a perfect picture of the characters, situations and places.

I agree, she painted beautiful pictures with her words.

I also thought Kathryn Harrison did a great job with her writing in "The Binding Chair", it was the first book I read after I got over my "Books are boring" stage as a teenager.

KristoCat said:
Ooo, Isabel Allende!! Yes! Try Eva Luna, I read it and was instantly enchanted :D
Thanks a lot, i plan on reading it as soon as i can get my paws on it:D :D :D
I was wondering which one of her books to pick up next.
Have you read "Daughter of Fortune"?

Back