• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Programming?

sdmckee said:
For those of you that have worked with Flash, you'll appreciate this humorous animation (though it's also funny even if you aren't familiar with Flash).
Yeah, man, that one is really good. Reminds me of the Xiao Xiao kungfu stick guys. You saw this in Digg?

ds

Fond of programming, but don't do it for a job, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change within the next 6-12 months though. While I've messed about with a number of languages, some to a larger extent than others, my weapon of choice is Java, which I use whenever I need to create an application for myself (barring the kind of things that are more effectively done with shellscripts or Python, though even then I sometimes go for the J)

I'd like to muck about more with Standard ML in the near future. I tried it out a couple of years ago and found it to be a whole lot of fun. I'm a bit of a sucker for recursive functions, but hardly ever get to use any in my practical programming, so discovering SML and functional programming was a treat.

Wonder why I've never tried Assembly though.
And since this is a book forum - anyone read the Knuth books? I got the first from the library a couple of years ago, but never took a serious shot at reading the thing. It was rather, ah, intimidating at the time.

Øystein said:
Wonder why I've never tried Assembly though.
Assembly language is a lot of fun, but really, that's all it really is. Fun. You can't really do anything really useful with it unless you spend a humongous amount of time, which languages like Java is supposed to alleviate.

I wrote a Hangman program oh so long ago on Assembly, and it was incredibly fun. It's oh so tiny (a couple of KB) as well.

Do try Assembly if you have the time - the learning curve is a little steep, but nothing a self-taught Java programmer can't handle. :)

And since this is a book forum - anyone read the Knuth books? I got the first from the library a couple of years ago, but never took a serious shot at reading the thing. It was rather, ah, intimidating at the time.
Ah, I wanted so much to read it. I don't go to a library, so I don't have the chance to actually get my hands on it. I do remember wanting to buy it from the bookstore once, until I saw the price tag (closer to 300 bucks!).

He has a new edition out, apparently, updated to include all the flashy new languages based on frameworks and virtual machines.

ds

Libre said:
What does that mean? Sounds like something to be avoided. What's the FAQ section for if not for questions? Are you joking?

No, I'm not joking. The FAQ is certainly for questions but it's not for people to ask them; it's a place where answers to common questions can be posted in as detailed a post/thread as possible. Unfortunately, the admin is rarely around - and never replies to emails - so he can't change the forum permissions (and give it a description) to prevent newbies from posting there.

It forces an unnecessary waste of time onto me, as moderator, in order to keep moving threads into the relevant area which I wouldn't have to do if permissions were fixed.

Back