• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Project Gutenberg - help needed

I'm looking for my next read and this time I decided to look for it in a different place: not in libraries nor in bookstores, but in a free on-line library called Project Gutenberg. If anyone knows it, I'd be glad to know if the quality of the ebooks provided in this site is high or low.

In this site I found Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky). As I can see, it was digitalized from the Constance Garnett's translation. According to Wikipedia, this woman was a great translator of Dostoevsky's works from the original Russian to the English language.

So, if anyone in this forum uses free ebooks and is experienced with it, I'd like to know if I can trust Project Gutenberg, I mean, I want to know if the text provided by this site really have good chances to be the same text of Constance Garnett's English translation.

The only thing i can say is that one of our lot has strong feeling again Constance Garnett's translation,and that he is a big fan of crime and punishment.I would trust him about it be could not give you any alternative.

I've used that site to read a few books and I've never had any problem with inaccuracy (at least not that I know of).

Back