• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Psychic abilities

Miss Shelf

I've been thinking about psychic abilities, I watched the show "Psychic Detectives" on Court TV last week. Before I go further, I'll say I believe that some people have abilities we don't fully understand.

If I had true psychic abilities, I'm not sure I'd want to publicize it like the psychics on TV do. People ask, "why don't more psychics win the lottery?", etc. but I'm wondering more what I'd do if I met a person and through my psychic abilities knew he had or was about to do something terrible. I wouldn't have any tangible proof, so who would listen to me? Or worse, I'd be held as an accomplice or something. How would you handle it? I'm sure there are some of you who watch "The Dead Zone" (I don't). Have yo uever thought about this?

All TV mediums are fakes. All mediums are fakes period. It's all nonsense IMO. Anyone with an ability like that would be barking mad in no time. They certainly wouldn't be on TV.

It's all bollocks.

One of the TV shows that I enjoy is The Medium and it is by far the best of those shows.

Now on topic. I think we all have some psychic abilities but don't recognize them. I am not a believer of most of the so called physics that you see on the "talk shows" but also I don't disregard the possibly that there are some that have more ability in that area than we believe. When you and another close person have the same thought at the same time for example, what do you consider that to be......just coincidence.?

I've often had the same thought at the same time as my mom, I can't explain that one. I've often thought about a person I haven't seen or heard from in a long time and then I'll either get a letter, phone call or email from that person. But these happen fairly infrequently-if they happened with regularity I'd say I had some psychic ability.

Miss Shelf said:
I've often had the same thought at the same time as my mom, I can't explain that one. I've often thought about a person I haven't seen or heard from in a long time and then I'll either get a letter, phone call or email from that person. But these happen fairly infrequently-if they happened with regularity I'd say I had some psychic ability.
But.......why does it have to happen all the time in order to be psychic. I do believe that our brain is capable of much more than how it is currently used by most of us but we do not quite know how to open all the doors.

Cab you imagine if we all knew how to use psychic abilities-life wouldn't be any fun anymore since we'd all know what was going to happen.

Miss Shelf said:
Cab you imagine if we all knew how to use psychic abilities-life wouldn't be any fun anymore since we'd all know what was going to happen.

So we'd all go mental, or kill ourselves. What would be the point?

I'm too much of a rationalist to believe that kind of thing. It is intriguing and I do frequent a forum as a lurker to read what others have to say on the subject. I believe that some people are just more talented at intuition than others. I don't believe that psychic abilities are possible, but rather, that people have one too many neurons firing. You can find a prediction or saying coming true with anything.

Check out this discussion.:D

Here is my take on ESP, Phychic Phenomena, religious miracles, telepathy, communication with the spirit world, or exta-normal events of ANY kind:
it's all bunk.
Let's face some facts - we humans are pretty curious. Scientists LOVE to investigate stuff. They have discovered REAL invisible, mysterious forces - like radio waves, electro-magnetic forces, and quarks. If there really WERE such things as ESP etc, don't you think there would be some convincing data by now? After all, there have been plenty of attempts by some people to really PROVE they have it - and ALL have failed.
Here's MY take on it. We ALL have super powers. We're just so used to them that we take them for granted. The ability to HEAR sound waves - and make sense of them; the ability of the retina of your eyes to be sensitive to a narrow spectrum of light waves, enabling you to SEE; the incredible ability to have a THOUGHT, and to instantly communicate that THOUGHT - no matter how abstract - to another human being through the process of SPEECH - these are ALL SUPER POWERS.
If we did not have these abilities, and were able to think about them, they would seem as far fetched and as incredible as ESP and telepathy.

Sorry, I do not know the English word I need - so I will say slightly more than wanted.
My grandmother had a sister. The sister had a son, and he had a son and two daughters. One of the daughters got married. Her husband was quite an intelligent man, he knew several languages and it was fun to talk to him.
He was nearly 35, when he understood that he had some special abilities, and for about five years he helped people: cured ilnesses, searched for lost people and things. Then he suddenly died - it turned out he had a brain tumor. His daughter is an artist and lives in Germany now.
All I told is truth and nothing other. If not for Mikhail - I would have never believed such things were possible.

Miss Shelf said:
I've been thinking about psychic abilities, I watched the show "Psychic Detectives" on Court TV last week. Before I go further, I'll say I believe that some people have abilities we don't fully understand.
Houdini nailed this stuff to the mast almost 100 years ago, and he was someone who desperately wanted to believe so he could contact his mother, but he was never able to find a medium whose act he couldn't imediately see through.

Mediums have to tune in to receive 'messages', they don't meet someone and 'see' what evil deeds they have done or are about to do, lol... that would be like opening someone's post without their permition. And you wouldn't do that.

They have senses just like us, and are right and wrong, and have problems that they don't know the answer to. They couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) get the winning lottery numbers because that would be for pure personal gain and their "purpose" is to prove there is an afterlife and to show people their loved ones are safe.

My mum is a medium (and a spiritual healer, as am I), and I have grown up with it all my life... she's not on TV or anything though lol. I have never seen a spirit but can see auras and "sense" things.

As for mediums being fakes, well I guess most of them are. My mum is the most skeptical person I know, always questionning what she 'sees' and 'hears' and 'knows'... I have grown up with this, and whilst of course I believe my mum (and have seen too much evidence over the years not to), I still question it all and try to come up with "logical" explanations.

I think that absolute majority of people who pretend they have "special abilities" are frauds. Some of them may know hypnosis, some of them know psychology, some of them know tricks and others know nothing at all.
But there were and there are people with special abilities. I do not think they would ever take part in a TV show. But that doesn't make them less real.
Really, what some of them do doesn't look as great as those miracles all of us are capable of: listening, seeng, thinking... In our far-away villages until now people go to old women, who heal cuts, stop herpes and minor disorders. Even if we explain that by hypnosis - still we have to recognise that, for example, to heal a cut in minutes, some abilities different from ordinary are needed.

I don't believe that the TV mediums have supernatural powers - I believe that they get everyone in the audience to write up little cards before they enter and they use the information on that to do the "readings", or they simply place actors in the studio. And plus, if they did have psychic abilities, why would they not go forward for that $1 million offer open to anyone who can prove that they truely do have supernatural powers?

I'm a bit on the fence reagarding weither these abilities exist at all. On one hand, it's just not rational and, as others have mentioned, surely the people must go mad. But on the other, some people do do some weird things. I would never take word-of-mouth for anything near the truth, but my father had an eerie experience with one of these psychics. He went along, made sure that he didn't fill out any information on himself, wore different clothes than usual, tried to take on different body language, and still the guy made a pretty accurate reading. Freakily accurate, in fact. So maybe he was a /very/ good cold reader, I'm not sure.

I do believe that we all possess some kind of foresight -but to me it actually feels like a rational scientific thing and not just some Hocus pocus. Think about it, even some of the lowest animals on the food chain have the ability or the senses to know when winter is approaching etc, how often have you known that the phone is going to ring and it does.

I think its simply the brain acting like a computer - it takes all the data and comes up with a result - i.e. for the phone example your brain has taken on board all the factors of the day - i.e. whats happened that day and the previous day, who are the people you haven't spoken to in a while and what time do they normally ring etc etc and then it all adds up to you knowing the phones about to ring. So we do all have this foresight but not the way its portrayed on tv and the movies.

Sergo, your example of the village women and your relative really struck a chord. My parents lived in a village, my mother always kept our front door open - everyone was welcome and every person who came was well fed. One day an old man came into the village, he was of a different religion and in those political times no one in the village welcomed him, apart from my mother.
Soon he became a regular visitor and my siblings started to call him grandpa, two years went by. Then one day he came to the house and told myparents that my father wouldn't last out the year. Of course no one believed him. Soon enough though my father fell ill, i won't bother writing what happened etc but basically my father passed away. About a year and a half after my fathers death, he told my mother that she had only 8 days to live he said that he couldn't do anything to help but she should try not to leave the house during those days. My mother sorted out all her finances and put her affairs into order, and within those 8 days she passd away.
Myself and my siblings came to live with our uncle - but before we did Granpa warned my sister that we shouldn't as we would suffer greatly, and again he was right. If i had heard this story from someone else i would have taken it with a pinch of salt but my siblings all lived through it - i was too young to remember anything.

Gem said:
I do believe that we all possess some kind of foresight -but to me it actually feels like a rational scientific thing and not just some Hocus pocus. Think about it, even some of the lowest animals on the food chain have the ability or the senses to know when winter is approaching etc, how often have you known that the phone is going to ring and it does.

I think its simply the brain acting like a computer - it takes all the data and comes up with a result - i.e. for the phone example your brain has taken on board all the factors of the day - i.e. whats happened that day and the previous day, who are the people you haven't spoken to in a while and what time do they normally ring etc etc and then it all adds up to you knowing the phones about to ring. So we do all have this foresight but not the way its portrayed on tv and the movies.

Sergo, your example of the village women and your relative really struck a chord. My parents lived in a village, my mother always kept our front door open - everyone was welcome and every person who came was well fed. One day an old man came into the village, he was of a different religion and in those political times no one in the village welcomed him, apart from my mother.
Soon he became a regular visitor and my siblings started to call him grandpa, two years went by. Then one day he came to the house and told myparents that my father wouldn't last out the year. Of course no one believed him. Soon enough though my father fell ill, i won't bother writing what happened etc but basically my father passed away. About a year and a half after my fathers death, he told my mother that she had only 8 days to live he said that he couldn't do anything to help but she should try not to leave the house during those days. My mother sorted out all her finances and put her affairs into order, and within those 8 days she passd away.
Myself and my siblings came to live with our uncle - but before we did Granpa warned my sister that we shouldn't as we would suffer greatly, and again he was right. If i had heard this story from someone else i would have taken it with a pinch of salt but my siblings all lived through it - i was too young to remember anything.

That's an interesting story. I think that's the same phenomena as with our old women, who sometimes get to know things that couldn't be explained by ordinary reasons.

From the other hand, I would like to tell a story of quite the opposing situation: we had two very well-known TV gurus, who invited people at their shows and were reputed to be able to cure people not only by touch, but even by a sip of water they "charged" through the TV screen. My mother's friend was very much interested in that, and liked one of the gurus a lot. So she decided to come to his show. She spent a nice sum of money to obtain the ticket, and went there. The guru invited "all who wanted to take part" in his act of "mental freezing" to come to the platform, and that woman decided to come too. The guru came to each of the people on the platform, and looked them in the eyes. Each person has immediately fallen on the floor, except for that friend of my mother's. She waited for something to happen, but the guru just stared her in the eye, and nothing happened. Ok, so the guru whispered to her without moving his lips: "stop it now, and do lie on the floor, you stupid bitch!", so she fall, as all others before her, who were maybe the actors, or something.
After that she doesn't believe in TV gurus any more.

Mmmhh I have some friends who say they can sense things, basic small stuff, see aura's and the like.

Now I like proof of something, I haven't seen any concrete proof that these things can happen, or any proof that they can't.

In my opinion it is far more likely that there are people with some strange 'powers', than everybody have the same range of sensory powers as everyone else.

There has been some test done that would suggest some people have these powers, and even worse if you believe in physics it is highly probable that most psychic powers exist, but simply can’t be utilised. Let me explain: (I can't take credit for this, most of these ideas I stole from Dilbert writer Scott Adams):

Telepathy: reading people's thoughts. Now your brain works with electrical currents. Any electrical current sends out a magnetic field. This magnetic field will induce electrical current in another conductor (like the neural pathways in your brain). So in effect everyone is sending out their thoughts to everyone else, and ALL of us are receiving this information. These signals are extremely weak, and there are so many of them that they are white noise that our brains filter out automatically. But perhaps some people have an amazing ability to decode some of this info.

Now a similar explanation can account for seeing the future, having to do with evidence that our brains work on the basis of quantum computers (too complicated to explain, and I don't understand the half of it, but then neither do most physicists who develop these theories), and this ability would allow us to compute using information from every possible future. Once again it is a case of too much information for any standard human to decipher.

There are plausible rationalisations for almost any strange possible power out there.

I am not trying to say these abilities do exist, I don't know one way or the other. Anybody who does believe one way or the other ... well you have just as much chance of being right as anyone else.

Just don't try and pin anything on the scientist, most of them are basically saying that that the world out there is stranger than they thought, and no one is quite sure how anything works.

Its great living in such an enlightened age isn’t it?

I took an online-test after I was informed with this psychic abilities thingy for the first time. Emm, I was told that something powerful was against me. Urgh, in a word, I seemed to have no much telepathy ability. So unlovely or unpleasant.:mad:

Back